• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash Novel 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
I am on volume 3 currently, but good to hear that the aftermath and post death grief that the anime put abundant focus on is actually existent in the original works, I was surprised myself when noticing how (relatively speaking) causal they are dealing with angst and grief.

Oh, Ranta, I still don't get why author intends to mak him this unlikable. I mean, I understand his function for the story as a whole, but he certainly crossed the line for me to be sympathetic for him.

Just curious, is there any hint for romance in the novel? Maybe I am dense, but from the two volumes I read so far, I did not sense much love in the air (I am kidding Anime hyper)
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
To clarify, the Japanese for the new hunting grounds is just ワンダーホール, i.e. Wonder Hole.
We didn't think it egregious enough to go and change the name.

And the name sounds just as ridiculous in Japanese as in english, since googling for ワンダーホール mainly returns various xxx web sites...
It's quite intentional by the author, not an issue of translation.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Good to know, thanks Sam!

Over on Goodreads, someone suggested that perhaps it's meant to refer to the rabbit hole in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I'd be willing to believe that.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Good to know, thanks Sam!

Over on Goodreads, someone suggested that perhaps it's meant to refer to the rabbit hole in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I'd be willing to believe that.

Yes, that's almost certainly the case as you'll find out in volume 5.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Man. I've said this when I read it in Prepub, but I'll say it again: the opening chapter of this book was cruel. It really gets the point across about loss though.

I agree with how Ranta becomes even more unbearable as the story goes on. But the good thing is that his teammates also become better in handling him.

I really like how Haru really matures as a leader starting from this book.

I agree too with Shihoru's portrayal. I think I'm starting to subconsciously ship her with Haru after reading her thoughts.

Thank you for the review, by the way.

Engineering Nerd wrote:

Just curious, is there any hint for romance in the novel? Maybe I am dense, but from the two volumes I read so far, I did not sense much love in the air (I am kidding Anime hyper)

If you've only read the first two, I guess you won't find much. But things do start to change from volume 3 and beyond.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
I, uhhh, I don't understand the reasoning behind complaining about Ranta's unlikeability while simultaneously referencing an essay that defends and exalts unlikable characters? I'm confused.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Fair question. Smile I was trying to give the author credit for making Ranta the way he is for some as-yet-unrevealed purpose. He's difficult to like, but I think that Gay's point that characters don't need to be likable is something that we (and certainly me) need to keep in mind.

He may make the books a little harder to read for me, but that's not to say that he's a worthless character.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, the essay does raise a very good and underrated point. It's quite troublesome because while a character doesn't need to be likable, at what point can one affirm that one or many unlikeable characters are objectively damaging the story, the quality of a text?
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
Is there any chance we will get second season of anime?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1