• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is the "Absolute Territory"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Boys are mentioned in passing in the article, with the caveat that they appear less commonly and their legs specifically are sexualized less than the girls. But yeah, feel free to list your favorite ZR boys in here too!

Well, that's just it, there's functionally no such thing AS "ZR boys" by the exact same definition:

In the 30's and 40's, Claudette Colbert stopping a car by hiking up her dress to show some calf would be considered the "Absolute territory" of its day--In the 20's, showing anything above the ankle was a bold tease. Today, we'd probably say it's the abs of a girl in fitness jeans and tank top.
The "territory" that's being Absolute is the natural bit of tease you're allowed to fetishize and fantasize about on the clean streets, without going over the edge into anything "illegal".

Translation: It's the most skin that repressed/terrified Japanese high-school boys believe they'll ever SEE of living girls until adulthood, so--like glasses, kneesocks and twin-tails--better to develop a voyeuristic connoisseurship for it now, from afar, while you're still in the lucky school position to enjoy it in your immediate environment every day.

The fantasizable isolated sections of high-school boys that high-school girls like to watch from afar for free every day, without actually going through the terror of making contact with or talking to a living breathing one, I'm afraid I'm personally unqualified to discuss.
Someone else will have to take the discussion from here. Embarassed

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
These pics are from the "Action Girl" paragraph. The middle pic is 1st cover volume of "Guilty Black & Red", a web novel. What series is the right pic from?

Dekisokonai no Monster Trainer

http://lndb.info/light_novel/Dekisokonai_no_Monster_Trainer

Look, all the covers have zettai ryouiki!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

Look, all the covers have zettai ryouiki!

And the girls all have pink hair, it seems! (Is there any special meaning to that?)
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Zettai Ryouiki has always been one of my favorite things from Ecchi/Fanservice Anime series because it directs the eyes straight to the holy land and it is also one of the many great things that separates Anime from western society. Very Happy
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
And the girls all have pink hair, it seems! (Is there any special meaning to that?)

AFAIk pink hair is related to tender and caring characters (even Gasai Yuno was at heart a very caring character).
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I've been wondering for a while: Is leg fetishism a really, really big thing in Japan?
It goes beyond geography, it's a guy thing. Men go crazy over a woman's legs; they find them very arousing. It's no surprise that in media depictions just an image of disembodied women's legs can be used to symbolize lust or general sexual attraction.

As far as I know the fondness men have for legs has no analogue in women.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I've been wondering for a while: Is leg fetishism a really, really big thing in Japan? I don't really see many female characters in anime wear long pants; most wear skirts or shorts, whereas long pants have long been (no pun intended) more fashionable here in the United States. I've noticed the sheer popularity of skirts in Japan, but observing what people are wearing, the women's legwear I see the most often, by a longshot, are long pants. Like, as in a good 75% or more. (Similarly, shorts are not nearly as common on guys as they are in anime.) Then again, maybe it's climate-related: When it's windy, dry, and hot, the best apparel to keep you safe is loose clothing that covers as much skin as possible.

Leg 'fetish' is common everywhere. I hesitate to csll it a fetish since it's like saying breasts are a fetish. Long slit dresses, skirts, and shorts are pretty much designed to emphasize a girl's legs. High heel shoes are also designed to do that.

All I know is, it's like playing life on easy mode considering how common girls show their legs and don't really seem to care or make a big deal about it. Granted, I live in California so maybe it's a regional thing, but it's like girls can't wait for weather above 70 degrees so they can wear short shorts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
JacobC wrote:
Boys are mentioned in passing in the article, with the caveat that they appear less commonly and their legs specifically are sexualized less than the girls. But yeah, feel free to list your favorite ZR boys in here too!

Well, that's just it, there's functionally no such thing AS "ZR boys" by the exact same definition:
(...)

I like looking at anime boys' legs.

Doesn't matter if I'm male or female. Doesn't matter if I'm in high school or not. Doesn't matter if I look at real people the same way or not.

The fact that someone, somewhere, thinks the male examples are sexy means it's valid.

And Yagen's legs are pretty sexualized. Just saying.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Since when is Yukino a "tsundere"? Does the author even know what a tsundere is?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
All I know is, it's like playing life on easy mode considering how common girls show their legs and don't really seem to care or make a big deal about it. Granted, I live in California so maybe it's a regional thing, but it's like girls can't wait for weather above 70 degrees so they can wear short shorts.

I live in California too and that's what I've seen: Mostly loose, long pants. There was a skinny jeans craze that recently ended though, which I figure is the one type of long pants that would also show some leg, but once that died down, the loose long pants went back to being the most common women's legwear. Maybe it IS a regional thing though.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Stella Vermillion is my poster girl for this look. As a twin-tailed tsundere action girl she's right in the sweet spot for the character type, and the fact that she also wears a garter belt with hers (far less common than ZR by itself) puts her character design much more towards the "sexy" side of the spectrum.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of tired of ZR at the moment, and have come to like this kind of look better.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I acknowledge that I could've included some pictures of men wearing ZR, but I'm not convinced the trend is prevalent enough (yet?) to mention in more detail. Also, some of the examples shown aren't technically ZR (too low). Still, pretty close.

ajr wrote:

I'd also argue cat girls were in vogue more recently than maids, but maybe you just got your years switched (or the trend was more prominent prior to 2004, the earliest google trends goes.)

I associate cat girls with the '90s (think Nuku Nuku, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, Saber Marionette J). But maybe you're right; they're definitely still around.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Red hair is commonly associated with "fiery," assertive people, so Action Girls tend to have it more often. There might be fodder here for another article, actually - I've noticed a trend of red-haired Action Girls in fantasy series, both male- and female-oriented.

kinghumanity wrote:
Since when is Yukino a "tsundere"? Does the author even know what a tsundere is?

Why do you think she doesn't qualify?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm either an old fart or far more of a normie than I'd expect, because man I just do not get this thing at all.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Pink hair is associated with enthusiasm, ebullience, quick-temperedness, and also lewdness. So it's pretty common for tsundere lead haremettes in LN series.

As for ZR, it's a great fetish, all hail Rin and Stella. That being said, I wore ZR once for a cosplay and Jesus H. Christ do girls have thighs of lava because it is really, really chilly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4