• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's The Worst Anime Release You've Ever Seen?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood had a really poor release in the UK, where they didn't make a menu system, instead just used the standard out of the box default one, didn't even replace the buttons.
ShadowZim777

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
If I had to pick a worst release, it would have to be the release of Saint Seiya by Cinedigm if that's the right company. The subtitles tend to speed by fast, feels out of sync with the character's voices and just aren't that good. Kinda hoping for a proper re-release of the original series.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
Pointing out the flaws of the Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Blu-ray got you banned form Anchor Bay's Twitter account as well. They still haven't to my knowledge admitted that there was a problem with the release.

Heh, so anyone who called them out for it weren't allowed to speak to them again? Did they have a social network structure where some outsider is hired to run Anchor Bay's Twitter account? I've seen some other companies that would ban anyone who complained. (Most would also delete the negative posts.) Invariably, their social media is completely outsourced, and the only reason it exists is to announce things and demonstrate the company is up to date by having a social media presence.

If you see people banned from a company's official account on Twitter, Facebook, or some other social media, and maybe with their posts deleted, then you can bet that the person running these accounts are basically outside help and thus have no authority. Your complaints won't be heard by the people who can do something about it. You aren't talking to a receptionist or an HR person. You're basically complaining to the sign-twirler on the street corner.

chronoclast wrote:
Anchor Bay's BDs of Stand Alone Complex are outright appalling. Even worse was their attempt to sweep it under the rug by deleting comments and banning people. Nothing has been said about fixing it either. Amazon stopped selling those sets not long after they were released but I still see them at my local Best Buy.

All of Anchor Bay's social media accounts have been abandoned since the beginning of May so something must have happened there at least.

Huh, that's actually very interesting. I'm in another hobby where one of the manufacturers got a lot of heat last year for banning people who complained to them on social media and getting their posts deleted. After a while, comments were then disabled, then the accounts also became abandoned.

I don't know what the deal is with Anchor Bay, but with this company, it was because they had fired their social media manager. They brought in another one later on, who, unlike the first one, has had a close relationship with people in this company before he was hired (the previous one was a non-fan and simply posted what the company sent him, treating it as just a paycheck and nothing more), and as a result, their accounts were a lot more enthusiastic, and he DID have a means of contacting people on the inside.

There's no guarantee that it's what's going to happen with Anchor Bay (unlikely, as Anchor Bay's not exactly the sort of company with a lot of enthusiastic fans), but I am certain they've either fired their social media people or they willingly resigned.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Bobobo's gotten two terrible home vid releases so far.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
ShadowZim777 wrote:
If I had to pick a worst release, it would have to be the release of Saint Seiya by Cinedigm if that's the right company. The subtitles tend to speed by fast, feels out of sync with the character's voices and just aren't that good. Kinda hoping for a proper re-release of the original series.

The weird thing about the Cinedigm subs, which were obviously Toei-produced subs (likely for an old streaming release that never happened originally [though it is now]), is that they get better as you go on, as if Toei slowly realized their mistakes while making them & actually tried to do better. I spot-checked the early episodes & saw the same problems, but when I actually watched the set from Episode 50-on, the subs were not only much better in terms of translation (if still a little stiff), but the timing was good (though not without a hiccup once in a while), and overall it was perfectly watchable. It's not one of the best releases in my collection, but I'm fine with that Saint Seiya release, especially since I doubt the anime will ever get another chance again.

I still hold Illumitoon's Beet the Vandel Buster Vol. 1 as one of my all-time worst, though. Dubtitles, replacing the OP & ED for the Japanese audio, offering the original OP & ED sequences as extras so poorly encoded that they looked like bad internet rips, and just a lack of understand how a basic anime DVD release should be like. The company got better, admittedly, because B't X Vol. 2 was decent enough, but that first release was just a mess.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood had a really poor release in the UK, where they didn't make a menu system, instead just used the standard out of the box default one, didn't even replace the buttons.

We had the same thing here when Warner attempted to crap out a release themselves. Thankfully Viz has a proper BD set now.
MadOverlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
...I had an ex-friend who was unlucky enough that their Bubblegum Crisis set had a live action martial arts flick on the last DVD instead of the rest of it. that seems like more of a fluke that something widespread tho as I've not really heard of that happening to other people.

I can't tell if you're talking about our BGC OVA DVD set or the TV series, but this sounds like a mishap at the pressing plant. On rare occasions, one or more of the wrong DVD get made with the "right" disc art, or the wrong disc gets into the stack of discs being inserted into Amarays, resulting in a production run with a set or two that's got a bizarre, but easily fixable mistake.

Those of you who followed our recent Riding Bean BluRay release know that due to a bizarre sequence of mistakes and mis-assumptions (our fault, not the pressing plant) the original discs ended up with the wrong art on them. And then when we emergency-repressed them with the correct disc art, that job ended up getting done at at pressing plant in Australia, which meant that the labels got printed upside-down. Smile
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You aren't talking to a receptionist or an HR person. You're basically complaining to the sign-twirler on the street corner.

They ignored retailers like RightStuf too. Someone on Twitter who works for Discotek Media and CNN called there called there parent company Lion's Gate and got this response "I mean, that's the way they released it, so that's the way it was intended to be released and there's no information about any issues or them re-doing anything... so..." Then finally ended with "Well, I can pass your comments along, that's all I can do for you."
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
MadOverlord wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:
...I had an ex-friend who was unlucky enough that their Bubblegum Crisis set had a live action martial arts flick on the last DVD instead of the rest of it. that seems like more of a fluke that something widespread tho as I've not really heard of that happening to other people.

I can't tell if you're talking about our BGC OVA DVD set or the TV series, but this sounds like a mishap at the pressing plant. On rare occasions, one or more of the wrong DVD get made with the "right" disc art, or the wrong disc gets into the stack of discs being inserted into Amarays, resulting in a production run with a set or two that's got a bizarre, but easily fixable mistake.

Those of you who followed our recent Riding Bean BluRay release know that due to a bizarre sequence of mistakes and mis-assumptions (our fault, not the pressing plant) the original discs ended up with the wrong art on them. And then when we emergency-repressed them with the correct disc art, that job ended up getting done at at pressing plant in Australia, which meant that the labels got printed upside-down. Smile
it was the OVA, and that's what we assumed happened, just a small scale blunder like you mentioned. it had the right disk art on it, it just had the wrong content. a quick email to the company got a quick reply with an offer to send a disk with the actual episodes on it and my ex-friend got told he could just keep the "bad" DVD for his troubles.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

That's the standard now for all of Warner Bros.' domestic mainstream (i.e. Hollywood) Blu-ray releases, which strikes me (and plenty of others) as embarrassingly lazy and unprofessional. But hey, think of all the pennies they're saving!
Zendervai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

That's the standard now for all of Warner Bros.' domestic mainstream (i.e. Hollywood) Blu-ray releases, which strikes me (and plenty of others) as embarrassingly lazy and unprofessional. But hey, think of all the pennies they're saving!

Yeah, I have the DVDs for the first seasons of Arrow and Lucifer and the first season Blu-ray of the Flash and all of them use that default menu set-up. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so obvious that it's the default.

I get a company having a standard menu system. Universal, for a while at least, had the menu on the left side of the screen and sub-menus would sort of fold out. But exclusively using the DVD default on everything, including Blu-rays, is just lazy.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
From the DVD era, you can't forget Funi's botched attempt at using alternate angles. It didn't work right on a ton of players and it caused major video quality problems. I think the worst was the original Fruits Basket release where they not only had alternate angles but crammed 7+ episodes on each disk. The video quality looked terrible on CRT and is almost unwatchable on a HD display.

It seems all of the R1 companies also had some hiccups when they moved to box sets. There were some definite video quality issues on the earliest box set releases. It took both Sentai and Funimation some time to figure out to put 6+ episodes on a disc without it looking like crap. I'm reminded of this every Halloween when I watch Ghost Hunt. I love that show, but the discs look pretty bad. Sadly, the SAVE release wasn't re-encoded and simply used the original discs.

It's good that we are at a point where most of our R1 releases are mostly solidly produced. Not to mention, Sentai and Funimation have both offered disk replacements in the past for issues, such as Kids on the Slope.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
The quality of the ADV Sailor Moon subbed box sets for Classic and R are nigh unwatchable in terms of video quality.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
They ignored retailers like RightStuf too. Someone on Twitter who works for Discotek Media and CNN called there called there parent company Lion's Gate and got this response "I mean, that's the way they released it, so that's the way it was intended to be released and there's no information about any issues or them re-doing anything... so..." Then finally ended with "Well, I can pass your comments along, that's all I can do for you."

Yep, that sounds EXACTLY like the sort of response from a company that outsources its social media presence.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
The quality of the ADV Sailor Moon subbed box sets for Classic and R are nigh unwatchable in terms of video quality.

Yeah, it's one of the classic examples of getting bad masters. You can only clean them up so much. Luckily, Toei eventually made better masters available for Viz's release, after only 15 years or so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6