• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's The Worst Anime Release You've Ever Seen?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Even in the early 2000s, Anchor Bay screwed up the first boxset for Roseanne by only including the syndicated masters with scenes cut. Roseanne Barr herself even went on one of the late night shows to talk about her frustration with them. Fortunately, Mill Creek's reissue fixes the problem.

Shout Factory isn't perfect, but usually admit mistakes when they are made, and sometimes correct the problem. Most of their releases have subtitles now.

Echo Bridge's releases of Pokemon movies 4-7 were pretty much shit too. Menus that looked like they were done in iDVD, bad video encoding, cramming 4 feature films on one disc... all of their releases sucked.

I swear Echo Bridge should have just stuck to releasing public domain titles and not bought Dimension and Miramax, that was horrendous.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
This was a great read.

And yeah, it now has to be GITS SAC among the worst.

Kalessin wrote:
And while them doing such a bad job would be bad with any show, for them to do it with a show like GitS: SAC is that much more tragic. Not only was it a truly awesome series, but it's exactly the sort of show that you can show to folks who aren't anime fans but might ultimately be interested in anime. And IMHO, it's by far the best version of GitS and as such really should be legally available in the US.

This. It hurts extra bad since it is this show of all shows. It's insane enough how bad they screwed up the actual problems on the discs, but to do it on one of the most prominent and enduring shows for the US anime market as well and one of the big gateway shows. Man it really sucks.

Hell, with the audio even doing the switching right from the start in the first damned episode it's even hard to show some new people the show through the set if you wanted to.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
@FLCLGainax

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I've heard sometimes film and sound tracks deteriorate if not stored properly, and I also heard at the time Toei didn't want to re-release remastered footage outside of Japan.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm very happy to have my South Korean Blu-rays for Ghost in the Shell: SAC. I recommended them to everyone who I knew was looking for the show on BD before this Anchor Bay mess even happened, and even more after I heard about it. It's a shame those are out of print now, but that's really the only and best English-friendly release for GitS: SAC out there.

Hoping for a restock of them one day, they seem to have sold out quite a few time and they months later got a reprint so I'm hoping that happens at least one more time.
Kirben

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Several of the early DVD releases from Siren Visual Entertainment in Australia were really bad:
The first two DVD releases of Battle of the Planets were missing the English subtitles for the bonus Gatchaman episodes (eventually fixed).
The DVD release of Tenamonya Voyagers offered Japanese audio, but no English subtitles at all.
The DVD releases of Vandread were missing many of the English subtitles, worse the re-releases switched the video to anamorphic widescreen, but still failed to fix the missing English subtitles!

I find the worst are the more recent Blu-ray/DVD releases, that are actually worse than the older DVD releases. I never expected the first season of Hayate the Combat Butler to be re-released as the censored version only, and ended up having to re-buy the older DVD releases again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Remembered another wierd low budget effort. A company I've never heard of before or since released The World of Narue in the UK for the first and only time, on a couple of low bitrate, dub-only DVDs in a cardboard sleeve. At least it was cheap.

Blanchimont wrote:
tsog wrote:
Anyone know how does the NISA Toradora BD's video quality compare with that of the JP's release's? When I first watched my NISA one the quality was definitely below expectations. While I know it's an upscale, it felt more like something that your typical home BD player can do than something done professionally.

I haven't watched that particular version, but let me guess... ...Q-Tec upscale?

Actually, no. Toradora was used to showcase a new upscaling technique Sony developed.

One-Eye wrote:
Manga Entertainment was on the production committee for Ghost in the Shell Movie and Stand Alone Complex. They were bought by Anchor Bay who then got themselves into some financial and legal trouble and were in turn bought by Starz who is now owned by Lionsgate. So I would interpret that as they own a piece (perhaps small) of these titles.

In an effort to get the next Akira before anyone else, Manga pumped money into GitS, doubling the overall budget and almosr bankrupting themselves. They own the English rights in perpetuity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6