• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists Hundred, Taboo Tattoo for BD/DVD Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
I'm still patiently waiting for someone to pick up Rakugo. Maybe it's time to riot. Smile

I'd also like to see The Great Passage get a home release, but I have even lower hopes for that. Anime cry
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm still patiently waiting for someone to pick up Rakugo. Maybe it's time to riot. Smile

Chances for Rakugo getting a release box set release with both seasons are the same as Onihei (with the prequel OVA) getting one. The sad thing is that if we riot people will confuse us with those waiting for the bus Anime hyper The only hope is that NIS america does a release and that's about it but they have not released any anime since 2014, if you know what I mean.
leelee85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
leelee85 wrote:
But what About Dive!! and Battery?

Aniplex produced Dive!! and Battery, so if anyone licenses it, it'll be AoA.

If not them, probably Funi. Sentai only licenses shows they think will be successful with a wider audience, and only takes risks/niche shows if it's a moe show, give or take a few titles. Funi may take Dive!! due to its Free! similarities and they would probably be the only licensor to risk taking Battery, considering its worse-than-usual reception.

EDIT: There is also the possibility that Anime Strike/Amazon will just dub and release these themselves. They are a huge company and can afford to do it; they could just sell the discs on their site. Anime Strike has only been around for close to a year now, they could want to expand what they do. Getting exclusive dubs on their platform will serve the dub-only part of the community that has no reason to buy a Strike sub right now.

You forgot that Aniplex is owned by Sony who is buying Funimation so it is still possible for Dive!! Can be licensed by them.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:
You forgot that Aniplex is owned by Sony who is buying Funimation so it is still possible for Dive!! Can be licensed by them.

Can you name one instance where Aniplex has received orders from Sony to do something that Aniplex feels is not in their best interest? I rest my case.
leelee85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
leelee85 wrote:

Can you name one instance where Aniplex has received orders from Sony to do something that Aniplex feels is not in their best interest? I rest my case.

When they (Funimation) licensed Black Butler originally
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
^ You mean to say before Sony bought Funimation? What does that has to do with one company branch being ordered to do what another branch wants/need? What you mention was just another case of Funimation paying whatever price Aniplex asked.
leelee85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
^ You mean to say before Sony bought Funimation? What does that has to do with one company branch being ordered to do what another branch wants/need? What you mention was just another case of Funimation paying whatever price Aniplex asked.

Well that can pay up to do that.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Fingers crossed that Re:Creators and Virgin Soul will be picked up by them one day.

Need to see them get these and give them dubs.

If Funimation made a dub of any of those two it would become Aniplex property and they would no doubt sell instantly the streaming rights to Amazon Strike. That would be helping Funi's competitor. The Seven Deadly Sins on the other hand were already dubbed by Netflix, so Funi buying the disc distribution rights had no such problem.

What do you mean two? What you said is true for Re:Creators (which I forgot at the time of my original post, plus Aniplex is likely to dub it anyway), but Rage of Bahamut is not even an Aniplex title, it's a NBCUniversal/Cygames title. I fully expect Funimation to pick up this sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5