• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks to Phase Out DVDs by 2019

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Well, shit. Guess I need to get a Blu-ray player other than the family PS3. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
At first, I only bought dvds as I didn't own a blu-ray player and I like to make amvs and just felt that blu-ray dvd combo packs were a way for companies to make more money at my expense.

Now, I own a ps4 and can actually watch blu-rays, but I still like the dvds for amv making. So my favorite sets are Funimation's blu-ray dvd combo packs.

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of just owning blu-rays, especially for collector's editons. If there's no dvds in a collector's edition, I'd probably just spend the money on the standard blu-ray release at that point.

I dunno, I guess I just feel like I get more out of blu-ray and dvd combo packs?

But hey, at this point, I won't complain about anything Sentai Filmworks does because of that Haikyu!! Collector's Editon Boxset with the English dub I've been waiting 4 years for Anime hyper
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
Bravo!!! It was about time. I never understood how collectors of anime, a visual medium, refuse to upgrade to BD's, which offer the superior watching experience over DVD's.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Does anyone still buy DVDs that aren't in Blu-Ray combo packs?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
The blu ray medium came out when the PS3 launched, in 2006? It's been over a decade, I say it's about time to phase out DVDs. I find it annoying how so many blu ray packs just throw the DVD discs in there too when you only want to buy the blu ray lol.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
My only tiny bit of regret over this decision (which will no doubt spread to other anime publishers) is that there are certain shows (usually comedies) that to me, it doesn't matter if I watch them on DVD and DVDs are cheaper. Beyond that, good riddance.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

I do. Most of them are sentai's. whenever they release a show that I want to own, but I don't care too much about, I go for DVD.
matt78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

I do occasionally. There is still anime like One Piece that is sold dvd only. Also there are a lot of older Hollywood movies that still aren't available on blu ray.
Mavado

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Sure, especially if it's imported from the US or there's a big price difference.

I can only play Region A blurays on my PC, but it's a bit of a hassle (not to mention that I prefer watching on my TV). While I have a few easier options for Region 1 DVDs.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
I've been bluray only for a few years, so I don't really mind this development.

I don't know how many people will buy $299 worth of discs to get a free bluray player when you could just get one for like $40-60. The people who have only bought DVDs since Blurays have come out don't seem like the kind of people who will drop $300 on one order of discs.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's quite a bold move. Love to get Sevakis' take on this.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
SInce I started to collect anime about 3 years ago I only bought used and new DVD's since I had to catch up on so many years worth of anime. Over 9.000 euros in 3 years on anime so it was a budget thing..... This year i started only buying BD's and if i could go back i would only get BD. Better quality and just more beautiful.

Funimation started to not put any extras on DVD's this year and now sentai is doing this.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

Another one here. I still will not buy sub only BDs that have burnt in subtitles... which is "all of them" because of Japan. So while I'm still hoping they'll dub Love SNAFU... they won't at this point but I'm still hoping... I will choose the DVD over the BD if not.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Finally!! There's is no good logical argument to stick with DVD. I know anime is still generally only released in 1080p (and aired in 720p, upscaled to 1080 on CR), but 4k has been a thing and is becoming more and more normal. 4K anime should be a thing in a few years and if we're still releasing DVDS that would be like releasing VHS in 2005. Stupid.

1. You don't have a blu-ray player? 50-60 dollars online. If you can afford to buy a single anime, you can afford a blu-ray player. No excuse in 2017.

2. "I still like DVD for AMV making". - Somewhat of a valid excuse. Though, for the past nearly 5 years now it's been fairly easy to rip blu-rays for that same purpose. Blu-ray drives with good speeds are also around 50-60 dollars on Amazon. Not a lot of people do this so it's understandable to not have that already.

3. "DVDs are cheaper". - Not really. DVD packs are usually like 3-5 dollars cheaper than the Blu-ray/DVD combo packs. I understand that that adds up over time but if we just stop wasting money on even making the DVD versions we could theoretically just get the blu-rays released at lower prices ( I doubt this will happen though because greed ).

4. "A lot of older stuff is only available on DVD". - I don't see how this is relevant at all. Blu-ray players are backwards compatible so you can still watch DVD-only releases on your Blu-ray player.

And lastly, I really don't understand SailorPluto1313's statement "I have to say, I'm not a big fan of just owning blu-rays". I don't see what difference that makes in any real way. There's literally no downside to blu-rays. Every laptop released in the last few years comes with a blu-ray drive, or no drive. Quality is much better. Holds more data. Ect ect. No downsides at all.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Are they finally going to move to white subtitles?

Or have they already because I haven't been paying attention to them for a while now
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7