• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks to Phase Out DVDs by 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Is there a (free) way to play a Bluray disc directly so long you have an external blu-ray drive? I know you can just rip the video directly, but that's a bit of a hassle.
neozxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I agree with invalidname. While 4K is nice it necessarily needed for anime. Live action movies and say CGI via Pixar sure. But older stuff probably wouldn't look that great. Unless it was done on film and restored. And even then that cost has to be passed along so said title might cost more. I have no qualms with 4K as I actually like it much better then the fad that was 3D lol.
neozxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Is there a (free) way to play a Bluray disc directly so long you have an external blu-ray drive? I know you can just rip the video directly, but that's a bit of a hassle.

As in software? VLC should irrc support BD playback. Most $30 external Chinese BD players offer a DL for playback software.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
When Blu-rays first came out I still bought DVD because I didn't own a Blu-ray player. Once I got a PS3 in 2009 I never looked back. I just could never purchase a DVD again. I've upgraded most of my DVD sets to Blu-ray once they were released and I didn't hesitate or regret it. The only ones I didn't were up converts and not true HD masters like Samurai Champloo for example. I think dvds should be put out of the misery tbh. There are shows I've never bought because they haven't gotten Blu-rays yet... Cough...One Piece...Cough. Most people including myself use Blu-ray as a general term for HD content, but it's the name of the disc format and not the video format. I think a few people in this thread have that part confused. Even shows that don't have hd masters can still be released on Blu-ray. I know a few companies have gone that route. I believe distotek did this with their recent Fist of The North Star release.

Last edited by xchampion on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
professorwho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Sh*theads. I'd rather pirate than buy from them. Evil or Very Mad

No matter how hard you're pushing the Blu-ray format, it will never become the standard, deal with it.

Pleb of the highest degree. People like you limit the anime that get licensed.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, Sentai.... it wasn't like you released Hidamari Sketch: Honeycomb -- a show I REALLY wanted -- on DVD only first, and then waited a really, really long time to release it on Bluray or anything. Wouldn't have minded if the Bluray version came out at the same time the DVD version came out myself, but... yeah, by all means, Sentai. Make a habit of releasing whatever Bluray versions you're going to release at least at the same time as the DVD version, Sentai. That would make things much easier for me, Sentai. And it's not like that was the first time it happened either, Sentai Evil or Very Mad

On the topic of DVD and/or Bluray players: Not that I can speak for anyone but myself, but the player I bought some years ago for such a cheapass price that I sort of expected it to expire in less than a year is still working just fine, and I actually made a point back then of trying to see if I could find DVD only players just to see if they still exist. Couldn't find even one (excluding DVD players for PC cabinets, that is.)
neozxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
Sherris wrote:
Sh*theads. I'd rather pirate than buy from them. Evil or Very Mad

No matter how hard you're pushing the Blu-ray format, it will never become the standard, deal with it.

Pleb of the highest degree. People like you limit the anime that get licensed.

I so wish we could thumbs up comments. Smile You pretty much said what I said as well.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
That's kind of why I'm not sure this is a good thing on Sentai's part considering a large amount of their catalog hasn't even got proper HD transfers.

I might you misunderstanding what you are saying, but from the wording of the article Sentai is going to keep doing DVD releases for titles not in HD. They are not indicating that BD will be a must even if there is no material to do a proper looking HD release. And most of Sentai's catalog should have HD materials available because the vast majority of the licenses they have are for anime shows from 2010 onward.

Northlander wrote:
Well, Sentai.... it wasn't like you released Hidamari Sketch: Honeycomb -- a show I REALLY wanted -- on DVD only first, and then waited a really, really long time to release it on Bluray or anything. Wouldn't have minded if the Bluray version came out at the same time the DVD version came out myself, but... yeah, by all means, Sentai. Make a habit of releasing whatever Bluray versions you're going to release at least at the same time as the DVD version, Sentai. That would make things much easier for me, Sentai. And it's not like that was the first time it happened either, Sentai Evil or Very Mad

Blame the Japanese licensors and their silly fears of reverse importations. I doubt Sentai has delayed BD releases just to piss fans. To me Sentai's policy of DVD release first and BD release down the line was a good option for fans who where happy with only DVD; Discotek does the same thing all the time.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I'm actually not too sure how to feel about this. While I'm slowly working on buying Blu-Rays, DVDs are still the primary thing I purchase when I do purchase anime. They're cheaper (even if it's only buy a few dollars) and I really don't care or notice the difference in quality between DVDs and Blu-Rays. Could just be my eyes and not watching enough Blu-Ray anime to get a better feel of the differences, but still. But since Sentai rarely releases I show I care about (namely from a blind-buying standpoint, since I can't stream for anything), I guess in the end it won't end up affecting me that much.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
So...I'm guessing the older stuff won't be out of print, then?
If so, *phew*
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly shocked that it took them this long to do it. I stopped buying dvds 10 years ago. BD players are only $50, way less than the average anime box set.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Chris Beveridge of Fandom Post had a Twitter thread about this. Along the way, he pointed out that the ideal would be for the BD/DVD combo pack to give way to BD + digital download (like most US movies on BD), but apparently Japan has a real problem with that.

My 2c: if we can't have iTunes or (ha ha) Ultraviolet, it would at least be nice if buying a physical BD unlocked that title (and only that title) for commercial-free streaming on funimation.com, hidive.com, Crunchyroll, or whoever the relevant partner of the BD licensor is. Would save me a lot of time ripping BDs, for starters.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Hmm... I'm actually not too sure how to feel about this. While I'm slowly working on buying Blu-Rays, DVDs are still the primary thing I purchase when I do purchase anime. They're cheaper (even if it's only buy a few dollars) and I really don't care or notice the difference in quality between DVDs and Blu-Rays. Could just be my eyes and not watching enough Blu-Ray anime to get a better feel of the differences, but still. But since Sentai rarely releases I show I care about (namely from a blind-buying standpoint, since I can't stream for anything), I guess in the end it won't end up affecting me that much.

That's the reasoning 95% of the of the people I know who have stayed with DVDs have told me. I do think there is truth that some people just can't tell the difference. These are usually the same people who can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k as well. There are other factors like your television or monitor, and what shows you've tried on blu-ray. Im one of those few who can tell the difference between 720p, 1080i, and 1080p so picture quality is very important to me.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I have no issue with this. Though it appears they will still do DVD for titles without HD masters, they can just as easily release those on SD-BD like Discotek has done. When Right Stuf, which was the last company to jump on the Bluray wagon, went exclusively with them, it was only a matter of time before others did the same.

This should mean no more useless DVD's in their premium editions, which I'm quite happy about. I despise combo packs as they just waste space and plastic for me.
lemurs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Sentai isn't phasing out DVDs because they're too popular, that's for sure. The market is simply segmenting itself between collectors who like the best possible A/V quality and physical extras, and those who watch shows on some streaming service and that's all they care about. The market for people who want DVD discs of HD shows occupies a shrinking middle ground, so it's only natural to phase out those releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7