• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks to Phase Out DVDs by 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
Good. I hate bluray dvd combo packs. It's stupid and I have no use for all these shitty DVDs. Then there are some companies that charge more for blu rays. If only every company would follow suit. It's been eleven years since blu Ray came out and clowns are still watching dvds or saying they don't have a Blu-Ray player.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
Furuzaki wrote:
But most blu-ray players (including the one you recommended) are altered to be region-free by a third party, either by code or chip.

And if you connect the player to the Internet, there's the chance that it will download a new firmware upgrade from the manufacturer and overwrite the third-party code that breaks region locking.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:56 am Reply with quote
One problem with SD-BDs is that Blu-ray doesn't do progressive SD, or I haven't seen it do progressive SD. It's either 480i or 576i. I can stick any progressively encoded NTSC DVD into my Blu-ray player and select progressive playback and be able to watch it in smooth 24fps.

The only way to do that with a Blu-ray disc is to upscale the SD content to HD and encode it in 1080p.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:21 am Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
Sherris wrote:
Sh*theads. I'd rather pirate than buy from them. Evil or Very Mad

No matter how hard you're pushing the Blu-ray format, it will never become the standard, deal with it.

Pleb of the highest degree. People like you limit the anime that get licensed.

Luddites like this probably still watch stuff on VHS. Tell me, how does JoJo's Bizarre Adventure look on tape? How do Tokyo Ghoul and other newer shows look on tape? Enjoy having a VCR eat magnetic tape.

I bet that same person also still uses a stone axe to cut things.
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I am not happy about this, primarily because I am hearing impaired, Anime blurays disable english subs with english audio; you can only have subs with Japanese audio. Occasionally you can trick the bd by selecting japanese audio with subs, then using the bd remote to change to eng audio after you are in the ep.But on many discs, you can't.

If I'm paying for a dub, I want to be able to hear the dub and have subs with it for sections where I'm not sure what was said. It's one thing if it's a subbed only bd/dvd. But I don't want to be forced to listen to Japanese audio just to have subs. I'd like to be able to sit back, relax and just LISTEN to a show, and check the subs if I don't catch something (can't crank up the volume too loud as we are in an apartment where the sound carries easily).

Both Sentai and Funimation are guilty of disrespecting hearing-impaired customers by disabling subs on English audio bds. They claim the Japanese distributors demand it. Why would they care if there are English subs with English audio? The number of Japanese customers who know both written and verbal English well enough to follow a show are very few, and I imagine most of them can afford the more expensive local japanese blurays vs importing the North American versions. I have never seen a reasonable explanation for this practice, I have cut back my purchases precisely because of it. I used to spend over $2000 a year on anime but that's down by more than half now.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
Rokk3000 wrote:
Both Sentai and Funimation are guilty of disrespecting hearing-impaired customers by disabling subs on English audio bds. They claim the Japanese distributors demand it. Why would they care if there are English subs with English audio?
Indeed, it shouldn't be that hard to add a menu option for "English with English subtitles," keep the remote-control audio/subtitle switching locked out, and still satisfy the "Japanese audio must have forced subtitles on" requirement. (Even Viz has managed to do it!) Even many of us without hearing difficulties like to have the subtitles on with the English audio to compare the scripts and see how the localization team handled certain things.

However, Sentai's decision to phase to go Blu-Ray-only doesn't really affect this issue, since they've also been locking out DVDs for awhile now -- this despite the fact that the US and Japan are in different DVD coding regions, and nobody ever made R1 licensees lock out subtitle/audio choices on DVDs in the pre-Blu-Ray era Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7