• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fullmetal Alchemist Anime Director Criticizes Upcoming Live-Action Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
I wish Mizushima's statement was going viral. If the manga was originally set in Japan but a Hollywood version whitewashed and Mizushima criticized that, such a statement would have a better chance of going viral.
MagnusRex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
“It was a bad idea to only use Japanese actors.”

Especially after it was stated that Edward isn't Japanese, so the casting already committed a fundamental flaw.

Though, on the other hand, if they were to cast European actors, wouldn't they need to be fluent in Japanese for this to work?

No they don't. There's a good chance if they got European actors, and lets say they used English, they'll still watch it. It would be a trade off. Getting actors that look the part, or speaking Japanese.

It would also probably have to be a co-production. I believe the other problem is that the Japanese production companies can't afford the costs that will come with getting more faithful looking performers. Or even to shoot on location in Europe if they really want it to look authentic.
Taifood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
scriver058 wrote:
Brotherhood is good (mostly it's second half), but very overrated. And the argument for it usually comes down to "it's based more on the manga", which is so lazy.
The irony here is that using the word 'overrated' to condense your own opinion is just as lazy. I hate that word. Its use has become strung out to describe "why aren't my tastes popular?"

Brotherhood is far superior and that's my opinion. Your 'overrated' description is wrong.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
The problem is that the Japanese live action film industry is itself very weak comlared to its glorious past. Back in 1960 Japanese films sold 1 billion tickets per year, nowadays they sell about 160 million tickets. Why that collapse? Manga happened and drew out all the market for itself.

The anime and manga industry are worth a lot more than the movie industry in Japan. The Japanese movie industry made 235 billion yen last year, including foreign films and anime films. The anime and manga industries are in the trillions.

It does raise the question of why do these get made then if anime does so well. Novelty? Experimenting? Quick cash in since there's already an anime? These films don't seem to be worth getting into an uproar about. People shouldn't treat them the same way they do Hollywood live action movies, which undoubtedly are bigger than any comic book or cartoon release can do here.

In short, these films are hardly worth the drama about casting like Hollywood adaptions are.

-Stuart Smith
jppcouto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
I understand the difficulty of getting a non-Japanese cast in Japan but Fullmetal Alchemist just can't be adapted properly without a cast that isn't just Japanese. Racism is an important part of the story. That can't be portrayed properly if everyone's Japanese.

*a lot of claps for this man!
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wish Mizushima's statement was going viral. If the manga was originally set in Japan but a Hollywood version whitewashed and Mizushima criticized that, such a statement would have a better chance of going viral.

Would he still say that if it was a Hollywood movie though? It's something else entirely to burn bridges and go against Hollywood. Even Toriyama waited years before saying anything negative about Evolution.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
Live-action just seems pointless to me, especially since so much of it is basically just CG animation now. If you're not going to have it live on stage, why not just make it animated? The only reason for live-action is the stigma against animation.

.....What happens if the IP in this case already has an animated version?

#861208 wrote:
I just want to world to see that animation is the greatest art form of the modern age, and to really appreciate it.

Which isn't likely to happen anyway for a variety of reasons such as people having differing opinions especially when it comes to animation itself. Flash and CGI definitely leading to a lot of debates.

Codeanime93 wrote:
I can't really wrap my head around live action anime/manga adaptations, it's just always disappointing because it just works better to me in animated form. Maybe it's because the animated form can express emotions in a better way sometimes than a live action actor or in a way that a live action actor can't. Also often the special effects for something from the anime looks really bad to me, or the makeup job on someone, like DragonBall Evolution taking a stab at what a Namekian would look like for real. Or the fact that in a live action version of Death Note ,Ryuk looks fake constantly.

Keep in mind Uncanny Valley is not exclusive to Live Action works animated works can run into this problem too especially an all CG work.

scriver058 wrote:
[

Brotherhood is good (mostly it's second half), but very overrated. And the argument for it usually comes down to "it's based more on the manga", which is so lazy.

Brotherhood is no more overrated than 2003 it's just people tend to prefer the former because it doesn't end by effectively screwing over it's surviving cast seeming for the sake of doing it.
scriver058

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
Taifood wrote:
The irony here is that using the word 'overrated' to condense your own opinion is just as lazy. I hate that word. Its use has become strung out to describe "why aren't my tastes popular?"

I thought it would be obvious, and I've written many paragraphs about why Brotherhood isn't as amazing as people make it out to be, but very well.

Brotherhood's first 11 or so episodes, until Greed shows up, are terrible, full of bad jokes and characters going super deformed literally every few minutes. Jokes are forced into moments that played way better seriously, like Maria Ross slapping some sense into Ed in the hospital, and the way those episodes marginalize one of the best characters in the franchise, Maes Hughes, is nearly unforgivable. And the fact that FMA 2003 already covered that material is no excuse for half assed execution. Thankfully, Brotherhood does improve steadily after that, but the crappy beginning and a few other problems hold it back from being better than 2003.

Quote:
Brotherhood is no more overrated than 2003 it's just people tend to prefer the former because it doesn't end by effectively screwing over it's surviving cast seeming for the sake of doing it.

So then it ends like a lot of similar anime, with varying amounts of bittersweet-ness and ambiguity. It was more interesting than Brotherhood's bland "let's go study!" ending (though being a sucker for romance and happy endings, it was nice to see that Ed and Winry apparently ended up together).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3