• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Should I play Despair Girls before V3? Is there any Easter egg or characters in V3 from Despair Girls I'll miss out on if I skip it?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Should I play Despair Girls before V3? Is there any Easter egg or characters in V3 from Despair Girls I'll miss out on if I skip it?

No, it's totally optional, as is Danganronpa 3 the anime. Just the first two games are important. Although V3 is "technically" standalone. It is hard to explain. Sad
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
V3 it is then. Kind of worried about these spoiler concern things, but there is only a few things that would make me possibly hate it. And I hope it has neither of these, (speculation spoilers):spoiler[Its a dream, a what-if scenario and nothing is really done, no one dies, some lame simulation to prepare for crap plot.]

Basically I hope that the deaths have consequences.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
V3 it is then. Kind of worried about these spoiler concern things, but there is only a few things that would make me possibly hate it. And I hope it has neither of these, (speculation spoilers):spoiler[Its a dream, a what-if scenario and nothing is really done, no one dies, some lame simulation to prepare for crap plot.]

Super DanganRonpa spoiler[already did those last two things so you can already feel confident in the fact it's not recycling those two parts.]

Haterater wrote:
Basically I hope that the deaths have consequences.

At least one of those deaths does much to the detriment of the fanbase.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
holy fuc*
this sounds really big. gonna have to go complete nope mode on anything related danganronpa.
I hope that Hajime spoiler[aka Izuru Kamukura] makes a return since he was my favourite character.
also i hope this all isn't some spoiler[big virtual simulation again], oh wait no they did that what if its spoiler[a big virtual simulation done by aliens in the far future trying to figure out why humanity went extinct and all that are left are monokumas]
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
I loved this game. Absolutely loved it. I bought it the day it came out in Japan and was glued to it until I finished it - i dont usually rush through games due to lack of time to do so but I was determined to not let this one be spoiled for me. And Jake is right, you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you let it be spoiled for you.
I've seen on tumblr people gleefully went and spoiled themselves without playing the game, and I just dont really get that. It's not remotely the same when you know what's going to happen. This game just throws loop after loop at you.

The only real criticism is that, even though it contains 3 of my favourite characters in the series, it also contains what I consider the worst character in the entire franchise. I couldn't STAND this character and every time they appeared I hoped they'd be the next to die. They did nothing of value, and every time they appeared it made the game worse. They almost ruined the entire game for me so I'm glad that the rest was good enough to make up for. spoiler[I'm talking about Iruma Miu. Her entire shtick seems to be ''hey remember Teruteru, that character literally no one liked? What if we just did him again, but instead of just saying innunendo he just straight-up said the actual dirty stuff constantly..but he was also girl with giant tits?" Her entire personality was actually painful to me. All she does is make lewd jokes and sexually harass the others (amazingly, changing the gender of a character who sexually harasses others does not magically make it funny) but nothing she says is ever funny. It's the first time I was actively hoping a character would die. I also really hated Ouma, who is basically a worse version of Komaeda who inexplicably became the most popular character in the japanese fanbase, sigh. (But, Ouma's irritating edginess at least becomes somewhat forgivable after The Ending, when it instead gets really funny if you think about it. Was also not a fan of Korekiyo because the dude was a total creep but he didn't make me anywhere near as angry, probably because he doesn't talk as much.]
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Kinda think every Danganronpa game I've played has been a gilded turd but there's enough sparkly bits in there for me to want to take a look anyway.
Quote:
Danganronpa V3...challeng(es) the very idea of truth itself in a world dominated by the need for lies—lies like "never lose hope" or "the future is always open", for example.

Reminds me of part of Hogfather by Terry Pratchet:
Quote:
“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand— AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I loved this game. Absolutely loved it. I bought it the day it came out in Japan and was glued to it until I finished it - i dont usually rush through games due to lack of time to do so but I was determined to not let this one be spoiled for me. And Jake is right, you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you let it be spoiled for you.
I've seen on tumblr people gleefully went and spoiled themselves without playing the game, and I just dont really get that. It's not remotely the same when you know what's going to happen. This game just throws loop after loop at you.

The only real criticism is that, even though it contains 3 of my favourite characters in the series, it also contains what I consider the worst character in the entire franchise. I couldn't STAND this character and every time they appeared I hoped they'd be the next to die. They did nothing of value, and every time they appeared it made the game worse. They almost ruined the entire game for me so I'm glad that the rest was good enough to make up for. spoiler[I'm talking about Iruma Miu. Her entire shtick seems to be ''hey remember Teruteru, that character literally no one liked? What if we just did him again, but instead of just saying innunendo he just straight-up said the actual dirty stuff constantly..but he was also girl with giant tits?" Her entire personality was actually painful to me. All she does is make lewd jokes and sexually harass the others (amazingly, changing the gender of a character who sexually harasses others does not magically make it funny) but nothing she says is ever funny. It's the first time I was actively hoping a character would die. I also really hated Ouma, who is basically a worse version of Komaeda who inexplicably became the most popular character in the japanese fanbase, sigh. (But, Ouma's irritating edginess at least becomes somewhat forgivable after The Ending, when it instead gets really funny if you think about it. Was also not a fan of Korekiyo because the dude was a total creep but he didn't make me anywhere near as angry, probably because he doesn't talk as much.]

They honestly have nothing on Hagakure who had nothing likable or redeemable about his character and outlived a number of much better characters.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote
I spoiled myself on the general ending and from what I saw its very open to interpretation on whether spoiler[you consider the other 2 games to be in the same universe or not.]

Haven't the money for the game at the moment so have been watching chapter 1 playthroughs and just leaving it there lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2