• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Legend of the Galactic Heroes Anime Reveals Cast, Staff, Promo Video, Dates, Titles

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynhild

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
it's...it's...it's beautiful...

Just slightly disappointed that it's just basically 24 episodes but I will take what I can get!!!
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
They had better get this right or they are gonna piss off a LOT of people by treading on what is such a VERY VERY VERY loved series.

So far their adaption of Welcome to the Ballroom leaves a lot to be desired.

GED is a whole new ballgame they are stepping on hallowed turf

(But yes the video is pretty....)
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
Well, if they can keep up with the visual direction shown here in the preview on a constant level then that's already an improvement on the old series which could be very flat on that front.

Also, Mamoru Miyano as Reinhard is one of the most obvious casting choices ever.
xMemorie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Awful voice actor choices.
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
It looks good. But Reinhold looks to old and yang looks to young. I hope they don't the story justice.
sontoloyo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
Quote:
Just slightly disappointed that it's just basically 24 episodes but I will take what I can get!!!

I think I read it somewhere at Mal that these 24 eps only adapted the first volume of the novel which titled Dawn. I suppose, after that they're practically going to see the results first to determine whether they're going to adapt the whole thing because the condition right now is different compare to Artland's time.

To adapt the whole thing like what Artland did in the past need a huge dedication, times which can take years for planning+animating, budget, etc.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
PS

Who wants to bet the Japanese Blu-rays / DVD's are going to be SUPERLY over priced.

Welcome to the Ballroom is 10,000 for 4 eps....I bet these will be getting in to 10,000 yen for 2 episodes....

x.X

12 eps followed by movies STINKS of rinsing...
SeeKai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
The legend of galactic basketball players!!
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
Pretty much the entire staff worked on Kuroko no Basuke....

I'm cautiously looking forward to this. It could go wrong easily but I see potential.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
Kuroko of The Galactic Heroes.

I have no problems with that being honest
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
I personally find nothing wrong with the updates, but I can see why others would be.

Last edited by Takkun4343 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
It looks... fine I guess. I don't know, obviously a pv isn't enough to form any definitive opinion, but the direction and colour design seem very safe. The character models have been given a hd gloss and the warship are now in full cg, but the actual framing barely seems different to the sparse presentation found of the ova series. Obviously, that's not really the point of LoGH, but I thought there would be more emphasis on cinematic flair, otherwise there's little to distinguish it from the original beyond a modern paint job.

I also really don't like how they've given Yang the exact same expression as Reinhard. Where is the slightly slovenly posture & bewildered wide-eyed stare, masking his razor-sharp mind? He's supposed to look like a young Kiichi Goto, not a clone of his rival with different hair and eyes. The music's also generic sub-blockbuster fair, missing any of majesty of the ovas classical soundtrack.

It's too early to tell but worries are beginning to mount up in my head, with this adaptation looking either a tad misguided or incredibly cynical. Hopefully I'm wrong on it: it'll be heart-breaking if they haven't learned any of the mistakes of Tytania.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
TemplateR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
I read, that "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" is one of the best space-operas in Anime-Section, which I missed it.

Now it is a chance, that I can get into it. I hope, that CR or Netflix will get it and stream it in my country.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
TemplateR wrote:
I read, that "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" is one of the best space-operas in Anime-Section, which I missed it.

Now it is a chance, that I can get into it. I hope, that CR or Netflix will get it and stream it in my country.

Yeah, the original is one the best space-opera in anime, who knows what this version is gonna do, it maybe a complete trainwreck and you can think, "oh the entire franchise is like that then" and you will be missing out on what LOTGH is, you really should watch the original OVAs
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
Maybe this one will get a dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4