• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cardcaptor Sakura's Clear Card Arc TV Anime Slated for January 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I saw the 1st episode at AX. It was super nostalgic. The episode was based on the last chapter of the original manga. Had the exact feel of the old show. I have high hopes for it Smile

That was an OVA prologue, not the first episode.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
This goes beyond a simple unnecessary continuation of an old franchise. What does this mean for the Clear Card Arc anime? If they're going to disregard the anime canon and the second movie and continue with the manga canon, I don't think I'll be able to get invested in it at all. Only 19 Cards? No Meiling? Oh dear... In fact, they might as well have gone the whole Sailor Moon Crystal route and completely rebooted it as this is pretty much tantamount to that.

I really don't get what you're upset about. Do you really expect the manga to continue on with the anime original changes rather than follow the canon manga??? It's not like the story-line in the manga and the anime finished in a hugely different spot. Yes Mei-ling was cool, but she was also a huge walking trope and I don't see that not including her will cause anything to be missed. She ends up back in Hong Kong in the anime anyway.

As to the number of cards, as an anime only watcher would you even know? The six "primary" cards are common between the anime and manga and some of the new cards capture weren't even shown in the anime! The original show had a bit of monster of the week feel initially which was a weakness IMHO. Still a glorious show but cutting down the number of cards back to the manga canon would make for a tighter show.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
Almost all modern anime adaptations of manga are literal adaptations nowadays and we've known all this for months now. At least since Anime Expo anyway so I'm not sure why people are suddenly shocked and angry about this now.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:56 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
I really don't get what you're upset about. Do you really expect the manga to continue on with the anime original changes rather than follow the canon manga???

I expect(ed) them to adapt the manga story to fit with the anime canon.

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
It's not like the story-line in the manga and the anime finished in a hugely different spot.

No, you are sadly mistaken. The anime finished. We have that amazing second movie. Now, that's kaput.

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
As to the number of cards, as an anime only watcher would you even know? The six "primary" cards are common between the anime and manga and some of the new cards capture weren't even shown in the anime! The original show had a bit of monster of the week feel initially which was a weakness IMHO. Still a glorious show but cutting down the number of cards back to the manga canon would make for a tighter show.

Sorry, but that's excruciatingly presumptuous of you. I happen to actually like some of the cards that were introduced in the anime. Also, the monster of the week formula was brilliant and added not only a fun and inventive dynamic to the story, but allowed us to fully explore and flesh out the characters by putting them in a myriad of different situations. You're making the fallacious argument that "anything filler is automatically bad". Even if the episodes don't necessarily further the main plot, they contribute to the show by allowing us to spend more time to slowly get acquainted with the characters, to grow and to learn together. If anything, the sequel anime could have been a great opportunity to show off the cards that didn't get any screentime in the orignal.

CCTakato wrote:
I miss when anime nerds used to have a three episode standard requirement before judging the quality of the show as opposed to declaring something is going to be horrible before we've even seen any footage of it.

Huh? This isn't something like a genre or character art or something superficial like that. This isn't something where I have to wait to actually see the show in order to figure out how it's going to be. It's the direction the series is going to take. Of course, my opinions can change and I'm keeping an open mind, but as-is, I'm not too enthusiastic.

CCTakato wrote:
Almost all modern anime adaptations of manga are literal adaptations nowadays and we've known all this for months now. At least since Anime Expo anyway so I'm not sure why people are suddenly shocked and angry about this now.

Well, you see. Not many of us had the good fortune to be able to attend AX. Also, I try to abstain from spoilers as much as possible.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Welcome to 2017.

Quote:

No, you are sadly mistaken. The anime finished. We have that amazing second movie. Now, that's kaput.
I wonder if Blue Exorcist fans were this upset about them retconning the Blue Exorcist movie.

Quote:

Sorry, but that's excruciatingly presumptuous of you. I happen to actually like some of the cards that were introduced in the anime. Also, the monster of the week formula was brilliant and added not only a fun and inventive dynamic to the story, but allowed us to fully explore and flesh out the characters by putting them in a myriad of different situations. You're making the fallacious argument that "anything filler is automatically bad". Even if the episodes don't necessarily further the main plot, they contribute to the show by allowing us to spend more time to slowly get acquainted with the characters, to grow and to learn together. If anything, the sequel anime could have been a great opportunity to show off the cards that didn't get any screentime in the orignal.
So the manga had zero character development of it's own then? Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Huh? This isn't something like a genre or character art or something superficial like that. This isn't something where I have to wait to actually see the show in order to figure out how it's going to be. It's the direction the series is going to take. Of course, my opinions can change and I'm keeping an open mind, but as-is, I'm not too enthusiastic.
I prefer to judge an anime based on how it actually is, not how I fantasized it to be, but that's just me.

Quote:

Well, you see. Not many of us had the good fortune to be able to attend AX. Also, I try to abstain from spoilers as much as possible.
If only there was a highly detailed report about the live premiere we could have read about... animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2017/anime-expo/cardcaptor-sakura-clear-card-prologue-ova-world-premiere/.118037
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I wonder if Blue Exorcist fans were this upset about them retconning the Blue Exorcist movie.

From my understanding... yes.

CCTakato wrote:
So the manga had zero character development of it's own then? Rolling Eyes

Please don't put words into my mouth.

CCTakato wrote:
I prefer to judge an anime based on how it actually is, not how I fantasized it to be, but that's just me.

My judgment, like yours, is based on biased preconceptions and prejudices. Your subjective standard of determining the quality of a series is no better than mine and vice versa. We all judge anime by pitting it against our conceptual "ideal" anime, be it in terms of characters, plot, pacing, etc... If it deviates from our "ideal", we determine it to be bad. My "ideal" is that it follows the anime canon. I am not a fan of the fact that it doesn't. I am judging it based on "how it actually is".

But as I already mentioned, I am open-minded. I am willing to give it a chance. However, this OVA does not fill me with confidence.

CCTakato wrote:
If only there was a highly detailed report about the live premiere we could have read about... animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2017/anime-expo/cardcaptor-sakura-clear-card-prologue-ova-world-premiere/.118037

Did you even read the thread of that post? I was the second commenter. But as I said. I avoid spoilers.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Almost all modern anime adaptations are literal adaptations. You may not like it but that's the way the industry works. So you can either complain about it and move on to something else or accept the reality as it is and still try to enjoy it for what you've got. The Sealed Card movie still exists for you to enjoy with or without the consent of canonical status from CLAMP and you can enjoy something new and different at the same time. But it's sheer hyperbole to compare this to Sailor Moon Crystal especially after months of hearing Sailor Moon fans complain about how much they wish Madhouse had been in charge of rebooting Crystal and envying the CCS reboot. Anime fans need to learn to have realistic expectations of how the modern industry works and to let go of the way things were done in the 90s already.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Almost all modern anime adaptations are literal adaptations. You may not like it but that's the way the industry works. So you can either complain about it and move on to something else or accept the reality as it is and still try to enjoy it for what you've got. The Sealed Card movie still exists for you to enjoy with or without the consent of canonical status from CLAMP and you can enjoy something new and different at the same time. But it's sheer hyperbole to compare this to Sailor Moon Crystal especially after months of hearing Sailor Moon fans complain about how much they wish Madhouse had been in charge of rebooting Crystal and envying the CCS reboot. Anime fans need to learn to have realistic expectations of how the modern industry works and to let go of the way things were done in the 90s already.

I really don't understand where your indignation is coming from. I never said I wasn't going to give the new series a shot. I never said I wasn't going to move on after complaining about it. What are you trying to get at?

Also, how is comparing Sailor Moon Crystal to the CCS sequel hyperbole? The CCS sequel hasn't even come out yet so we have no clue as to how they're going to handle it. Now you're the one who's fantasizing about the CCS sequel instead of waiting to see how it actually is... Rolling Eyes

This has nothing to do with how things are done now versus the 90s. How is me suggesting a CCS reboot instead of having a CCS sequel that doesn't follow the original anime canon not realistic when we have precedence set by Sailor Moon Crystal? Your argumentation is full of holes and inconsistencies.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Have they specifically said that this will not count for the events of the original anime? It's still very possible to adapt the sequel manga without ignoring what happened in the first anime series (as far as I can remember). Apparent from the very beginning of the new manga, spoiler[Sakura [temporarily] loses the ability to use the old cards,] so it would be very plausible to avoid mentioning the anime-exclusive cards if need be. They could theoretically pad time for the manga to stay ahead by adding filler-esc episodes to make the main plot thread (which I won't spoil) consistent, though that isn't even necessary yet, as long as they acknowledge Mei Ling and the existence of the entire deck from the anime.

Anyone who has seen the new anime, does it completely retcon the second film out of existence? Or does it just pad back to add the manga canon in? Or is it even clear?
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Yay~! I'll pretend it's a birthday gift to me from Madhouse (for lack of Kaiji; not really their fault though), and from CLAMP. (Where my Gate7 chapters and MKR love??)

I'm liking the designs, and it'll be fun to be reading and watching side by side. I wonder how they'll expand on this season, and what kind of new cards we can look forward to, and how the classic cards from the anime will get their Clear Card version.

Excite! Hype! Love! ♥
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
I really don't get what you're upset about. Do you really expect the manga to continue on with the anime original changes rather than follow the canon manga???

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
It's not like the story-line in the manga and the anime finished in a hugely different spot.

First point. The manga is canon, the anime is the adaptation. The MANGA is now being continued, and there will be another anime adaption which we have yet to see. Who knows whats in it because it HAS NOT BEEN BROADCAST YET!

Second point. The anime and manga did end up in pretty much the same place, INCLUDING the 2nd film. At the end of the manga Syaoran tells Sakura he loves her and says he will be returning to Hong Kong. Sakura makes a bear and confesses her love to Syaoran as he leaves back to Hong Kong saying she will wait for him. There's a time skip of 2 years and they get together.

For the anime which INCLUDES the 2nd film it's a little different but the results are the same. Syaoran tells Sakura he loves her, but is then called back to Hong Kong. Sakura is confused and rushes to see Syaoran off. HE gives her a bear HE made. At this point she doesn't tell him she loves him but it's clear that she does. Then the movie continues with a short skip (4 months) and after some shenanigans Sakura finally tells Syaoran she loves him.

EDIT: Checked out the OVA. It's important because it fixed a few things that the second movie breaks continuity wise, most notability Erol's house being demolished and turned into a theme park (in a matter of 4 months??) which never happened, plus adding in both bears rather than Syaoran only giving his to Sakura.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

But why would CLAMP adapt their creation to "fit" with someone else's? The OG anime was very much it's own thing and it wasn't created by CLAMP. To my knowledge, they weren't writing episodes or creating Mei-ling, I'm not even sure they did the designs for the additional cards. It would be like if JK Rowling did a Harry Potter sequel, would you expect her to write to line up with the changes the movies made? That would be silly, the movies weren't her work. It would be even sillier for her, since certain actions after the release of the last movie indicate she wasn't very supportive of the changes.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
But why would CLAMP adapt their creation to "fit" with someone else's? The OG anime was very much it's own thing and it wasn't created by CLAMP. To my knowledge, they weren't writing episodes or creating Mei-ling,

person#8581

The first series' head writer is a member of CLAMP and she is returning for this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2