• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Girl Ore (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote

Magical Girl Ore (TV)

Genres: comedy, magic
Themes: gender switch, magical girl

Plot Summary: Saki Uno is a high school girl and rookie idol who has a crush on Mohiro, her best friend's older brother. When Mohiro is kidnapped by demons, Saki hastily makes a shady contract to be able to transform into a magical girl, which transforms her body into that of a handsome man.
----------------------------------

Episodes 1 and 2

First two episodes are out on Crunchyroll. And I think that it is hilarious. A total spoof of the magical genre, and the energy it has in playing it up, really appeals to me. Really funny that Saki is totally aware and pointing out how creepy things are, but at the same time she is not immune from similar treatment. The love interest talks as much as the toddler from School Babysitter's Club, a novel choice, and I think standouts are like how he blushed to the muscular boy in a magical girl outfit, and later we got told he is apparently scarred or creeped out by Saki, and that is apparently accurate.

I am interested to see what other jokes they can throw out, playing around with magical girl tropes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

The flashback went on a little long, and more seriously than expecting this to just use yuri as a cheap gimmick. A part I was sort of fond of was when Saki was internally noting her now muscular friend who apparently just lost all inhibition against holding back, was starting to creep on her (both male forms). Rape being a joke is really crass, but it was also funny thinking the princely talking Sakuyo as the same person.

And ending the flashback with Saki clearly touched.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the higher points of the comedy.

Yes there's a fair bit of low brow humor, but where it shined was being self aware.
+1 For the Planetary Meta joke that served both to key people in to their relationship status and an homage to previous magical girl shows.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Magical girl mum showed up this episode. In general it felt like the mum stole the episode with how she showed up at the event.

Haven't talked much about the series, but I have continued to watch it, although it has kind of gone downhill compared to the start, especially with its weird ultra meta episode. It has also felt a little too obvious who the villain is, that it looked like they figured it out last episode, but then apparently they were shocked this episode to put pieces together.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
Those outfits are so bad they don't even look good on the girls. I don't even want to think about how they look on muscle-head boys.

Yeah, I really hate bara so I'll be giving this one a skip. Bulky men wearing poorly designed little girl dresses just isn't funny to me. It was dumb in Project A-ko and it's still dumb today. Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale

While I think it started out pretty strongly, and funny, it felt like it kind of fell as the show went on, especially around that weird meta episode with the cyborgs. The reveal towards the end of the series was pretty good, that after feeling like it is obvious Mohiro's spoiler[partner is a villain we find out he is actually a fairy king or prince, and the manager was the real villain who seemed to want to build the story of magical girls.] I kind of don't care that much of the story that and fighting in the show, rather than some funny jokes, especially when Saki's mother started to make a bigger part. I think I would have rather had more reversals of expectations or tropes, rather than it feeling like the cute demons kind of became a bit of a crutch. They put the demons in an odd situation and that be a joke, when I think it started stronger in that it always felt to be reinventing itself, that it suffered when it stopped doing such.

I still enjoyed my time, and I will give a rating of So-so (5/10), which I think goes down that it was losing my interest, but really could have done better. Not sure I would really want much similar, this season also had the 3rd season of Cute High Earth Defense Club, which even having a new cast, felt like it had worn out its welcome. But parts of it were good, and could have foundation for something better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1