• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Children of the Whales (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
I was annoyed that our main characters did not go to kill the nous, the thing stopping them from using their powers, which would help Ouni be able to defend himself. Instead of just standing there and accomplishing nothing. The show seems to keep going back and forward on its themes of moving forward by taking action, and seems much more into filling its time with supposedly oh so sad drama of character deaths that I think could be done a lot more dynamically. Sammy was okay, the guy in this episode I did not really care about. It is like those times that people kind of sacrifice themselves, and the other characters don't honour that person and waste it. There are better ways than taking us out of the supposedly dangerous situation and way too heavily forecasting tragedies.

Not that I am entirely disliking the show, but it kind of feels like it is too caught up in its themes, that it causes problems with being a story or something.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:15 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm just a naive sucker, because I'm totally loving pretty much everything about this, drama and all. I'm apparently blind to its many flaws. Nibi's sendoff was one of the nicest I've seen, and I liked that they took their time with it instead of rushing through it.

I suspect the "plot holes" around emotions will eventually get some clarification, but it looks to me like the foot soldiers have been nous fodder and are indeed emotionless and robotic, while the commanders have not been subjected to that happy interior fantasy that comes of surrendering one's emotional life to the nous. They're essentially drugged into a zombie-like stupor, which would explain why they just stand around when confronted with anything that doesn't fit perfectly with their orders.

I'm still trying to figure out the significance of Mt. Rushmore being incorporated into the Whale's architecture. I will be displeased if we don't get an explanation for that. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

And it just sort of ends. Nothing really major happens, except for I guess the announcement to the people about the truth of short life spans, the Mud Whale getting out of its prison, and hints of what the villain is up to. I guess that does sound like a lot, but it is not really a finality rather than wait for the next season if it comes. I probably should have really enjoyed, things like it being by J.C. Staff had me kind of think of it like Heavy Object, you have this world which is centred around these moving goliaths, with a main character who's strength is not that he is just physically stronger than others. But this show just felt kind of bleak, it was not fun with talk about these character dying young, and then having things like characters dying young in the show, a single fell swoop the main character's should be girlfriend was gunned down, and any happiness felt pushed down by the fact that the future looked grim regardless. The characters were bound to something that they would not have long happy lives, and the world was also out to get them.

Probably one of the best things it may have done towards the end was introducing those people from another country, who did not seem like evil emotionless robots, or psychopaths which would not be fun. Things started to look up I think. This may be just myself who is effected like this, I recall having similar feelings with something like Code Geass, which just everyone loves.

For me giving a rating Decent (6/10), I did not lose my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2