• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jūni Taisen: Zodiac War (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
http://ni.siois.in/

Easiest way to resolve this,go ask him.

You mean https://twitter.com/nisioisin_info?

His official catalogue doesn't mention his 2015 Zodiac War novel, just the franchises he's written about. Shouldn't matter, there are plenty of places one can spoil oneself regarding what's coming next.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

Thread goes like this:......

No the thread goes like this:

1. People post their thoughts.
2. You come in and act dismissive and condescending towards them and their opinions because they differ from your own.
3. You poke at the users and goad them into an argument by being dismissive and making veiled insults towards them.
4. Mods have to step in.

This is hardly new and you've been warned many times for this behavior. Consider this your final warning before moderation. I also suggest the rest of you simply report such behavior next time instead of driving a thread down.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
While I do think that Monkey will be a major player, to me, the show is building up more to be Mouse vs Rabbit as the ending.

Also, the ending may have a hint for us, given that the first 3 players shown are Boar, Dog, Chicken, and those were the first 3 focus characters. And given that Monkey is shown fourth and is in the title of episode 4, we may be spoiled that way.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote

Shock! Horror! The named character for this week's episode STAYS ALIVE!

Exaggeration aside, I don't think she's got much of a chance against the Rabbit even with the Rat by her side keeping the headless one at bay. Viewers now know that her attack animation in the OP isn't just for show, but the Rabbit managed to enslave all of the dead birds from the assault on the Boar to his will and if he gets them out of the sewer the pair of them have no chance of survival.

As for the Monkey's background, the opening scene is a homage to the old Japanese motif of "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". Even the names of the Monkey's teachers are dead-ringers for the original Japanese saying (for example 言わざる is very close to 岩猿 in pronunciation from the difference in the diacritical mark on the sa) It seems this has carried through to the Monkey Warrior and her desire for world peace. She's been through a lot yet chooses to continue along her chosen path. Curiously enough for an episode focused so heavily on the Monkey, viewers get quite a good perspective on the narcoleptic Rat's motivations.

Going along the Zodiac in reverse, it is now time for the Sheep to take his bow. Aside from his expertise with bombs and his reputation as a warrior, viewers don't know much about him. Next week should fix that. As for the episode title, there's nothing to indicate the Sheep is going to be killed by someone next week since it's a common proverb. The Dog is gone and the Wolf's main predator in the ecosystem is Man.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, this episode did not answer the question I am currently most interested in, which is: does the show plan to kill its characters in reverse zodiac order? If Monkey is the next death, I'm going to assume the answer is "yes." If somebody dies before her (which I hope is the case) I might have hope that there can be some suspense in this show.

Also, until this episode I had not noticed that Rabbit wears high heels...
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The most NisiOisin result is going to be to convince you to accept and even potentially appreciate the rules for the order in which the characters will be killed. And then, the moment you come to peace with those rules, they'll be broken.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:29 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
The most NisiOisin result is going to be to convince you to accept and even potentially appreciate the rules for the order in which the characters will be killed. And then, the moment you come to peace with those rules, they'll be broken.

Indeed, it is like a common theme in his Monogatari series. Hammer in the cultural reilvance and logic of a theme, but towards the end there will be a twist which will either bend expectations or make you look at it in a different way. And just kind of guessing I think we should look at who the last few in the order should be, that a twist would happen on the relivant episode. The last four should be spoiler[Rabbit(9), Tiger(10), Ox(11) and Rat (12)]. Looking at in from the outside you could guess what episode. And it looks like we at least have some evidence that they won't necessarily die on their episode.

spoiler[Rabbit seems to have been set up as the main threat], but looking at this I am inclined to believe he will be a bookend before the final quarter. spoiler[Tiger is odd in that she kind of feels like she] has been shown the least.spoiler[ Ox has been otherwise shown to be the strongest], that it can make sense that however it is ending is likely to involve him. And in general everything about spoiler[the rat feels like a wildcard].
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Unfortunately, this episode did not answer the question I am currently most interested in, which is: does the show plan to kill its characters in reverse zodiac order?

I thought that question was already answered with the unfortunate Snake beheaded right at the start of the show...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:14 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Unfortunately, this episode did not answer the question I am currently most interested in, which is: does the show plan to kill its characters in reverse zodiac order?

I thought that question was already answered with the unfortunate Snake beheaded right at the start of the show...

I heard a pretty interesting theory on that, which could come into play. The possibility that the spoiler[Snake's ability might a strong form of regeneration and if the head is okay it could grow an entire body]. Crazy, but I kind of want it to be true after hearing about it.

It could fit into snakes often being a symbol of rebirth, transformation, immortality, and healing. Also weirdly plays into this quote I have heard about cutting off the head of a snake.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, given that Snake is Bunny's private little meat puppet his status is somewhat ambivalent. That's why if Monkey is the next to die, it's not crazy, tinfoil hat thinking to assume a set order is being adhered to, notwithstanding the asterick that is Snakey-pooh.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
The snake episode is going to be a very interesting one. I'm plumping for the time-reversal ploy where viewers find out how he got beheaded in the first place. Otherwise it's going to be him "thinking" whilst under the control of his current master.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I think the time-reversal ploy is a very high probability. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe we got any more internal monologuing from Ms. Boar after she was Bunnified.

The other possibility, of course, is that we may never actually get a Snake-centric episode or his backstory might be conveyed through his brother's (the Dragon) memories. Given the Dragon's distinct lack of boo-hooing over his sibling's fate, I suspect they weren't terribly... close... growing up.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

The other possibility, of course, is that we may never actually get a Snake-centric episode or his backstory might be conveyed through his brother's (the Dragon) memories. Given the Dragon's distinct lack of boo-hooing over his sibling's fate, I suspect they weren't terribly... close... growing up.

It's 12 episodes according to the schedule, so one for each character is still on.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote

Again the named character for this week doesn't get killed by the end. However it's probably safe to say his number is up since the overconfidence which has doomed the first two contestants featured has already reared its head. He's rated the Tiger as dead-last (I don't blame him if I saw the opponent drinking herself silly, but her ability to discern his location through his monologue at quite a distance hints at cat-like senses).

Interesting background for the Sheep. He actually has horns protruding from his head too. Hard to say if he's "good" or "bad", but taking part in this tournament to spare his grandson from an early death is a noble deed in its own right.

The Horse is alive! No corpse, no retirement. It looks like he's mentally shattered though and the arm guards have taken too much of a beating from the Ox's katana to take on any of the other contestants in prolonged duels.

I don't know how the Rabbit does it, but somehow he can control his puppets and get them to attack with some degree of accuracy and with considerable autonomy. How on earth a headless corpse can track someone up a deserted office block and still aim the flamethrower accurately despite the noise distraction is beyond my comprehension for now.

Speaking of the Rabbit, he's got the Monkey cornered and it shouldn't be long before she falls. She's been trained brilliantly and fended off the bird swarm without inflicting fatalities but the Rabbit is slowly cornering her. If she forms part of his corpse squad, he might be able to take on the Ox with better odds than any of the other remaining contestants.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least now we know what the purpose of the Taisen is... it's a proxy battle that actually determines borders in the real world as the Powers That Be bet on the outcome (once there are only six contestants left). Again, no deaths, so we again do not yet know for sure that there is a preordained order (notwithstanding the sort of exception of Snake). If my numbers are right, this is the 13th Taisen (Boar's father won the 12th) and there are 12 years in between each tournament, so Sheep won the 9th one 48 years ago.

I look forward to finding out more about Tiger who seems like my kinda gal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7