• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jūni Taisen: Zodiac War (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I don't know how the Rabbit does it, but somehow he can control his puppets and get them to attack with some degree of accuracy and with considerable autonomy. How on earth a headless corpse can track someone up a deserted office block and still aim the flamethrower accurately despite the noise distraction is beyond my comprehension for now.

Muscle memory? But more specifically, the Snake is not using sense of sight or hearing, we in fact see him unaffected by sound of an alarm, and I would also say the Rat being in a position he might have been visible. But instead it seems a famous sense for snakes, which is their sense of touch, that they can feel vibrations along the ground. It is kind of like how I am aware that when you are out hiking where you are likely to come across a snake you are encouraged to stomp your feet so any snakes in the path will sense it and move out of the way. That is a common piece of advice here in the land of some of the most dangerous snakes.

The current question was who was going to die first, in either the Monkey or the Sheep. Where if Monkey indeed dies first then the expected order is not eliminated yet, but if Sheep goes, then we probably cannot expect what would happen. It is down to Monkey being overwhelmed by zombie birds that could leave her open, or whether Sheep has let his guard down on who he thinks is weak.

But also, the episode was successful in making me kind of care about the Sheep.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:35 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Muscle memory? But more specifically, the Snake is not using sense of sight or hearing, we in fact see him unaffected by sound of an alarm, and I would also say the Rat being in a position he might have been visible. But instead it seems a famous sense for snakes, which is their sense of touch, that they can feel vibrations along the ground. It is kind of like how I am aware that when you are out hiking where you are likely to come across a snake you are encouraged to stomp your feet so any snakes in the path will sense it and move out of the way. That is a common piece of advice here in the land of some of the most dangerous snakes.

Doesn't fully explain the earlier chase scene when Rat jumped off the flyover yet the headless Snake was still able to track him despite losing vibrations during the jump.

It's also possible there is "radar" in that the snake has a range of perception using the method described above. It's the only way I can explain the "hand on the ground" in the office scene. Regardless, this seems to have been an ability imparted by the Rabbit onto the headless Snake (and maybe the zombified Boar) when he seizes control.

Edit: Episode #7 disproves my hypothesis. Corpses retain the abilities they had when still alive. All the Rabbit does is impart a command and the corpse follows it to the letter.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
@ DP - I think your "snake vibration" theory is correct. It was probably an innate ability that Snake had before he was killed and he has retained it, much like Boar retained her never need to reload thingy. Shows don't always service a concept faithfully once they've established it, but it is clear Snake is operating on the basis of vibrations.

The element that confuses me is how Bunny is able to use Chicken's animal control ability. I believe she was torn to pieces before he could make her one of his "friends" so I'm not sure how her ability got passsed on to him.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
I think the birds are dead. The one we saw close-up had half its head cut off. So he's not using the animal control ability, he just controls dead things. Maybe they're the ones that Boar killed, which would mean he can control things his zombies kill as well as those he kills himself.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I think the birds are dead. The one we saw close-up had half its head cut off. So he's not using the animal control ability, he just controls dead things. Maybe they're the ones that Boar killed, which would mean he can control things his zombies kill as well as those he kills himself.

If he/she/it is dead, it's fair game to the Rabbit?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe? We haven't had a detailed discussion on how Bunny's power works or its scope. The show went out of its way to show at least one of the birds was dead, so "any dead animal" seems a fair assumption, at least. He did say he had to be the one to kill them to be able to control them, but maybe his zombies are an extension of himself. Or maybe he's lying. Regardless, I don't think he needs to have Birdy's power to make it work.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Maybe? We haven't had a detailed discussion on how Bunny's power works or its scope. The show went out of its way to show at least one of the birds was dead, so "any dead animal" seems a fair assumption, at least. He did say he had to be the one to kill them to be able to control them, but maybe his zombies are an extension of himself. Or maybe he's lying. Regardless, I don't think he needs to have Birdy's power to make it work.

Only thing viewers unaware of the novel should know about was stated in the first two episodes. Necromantists can raise the dead to act as their puppets but no restrictions were mentioned regarding type or quality of the corpse/carcass. He did mention the personal element when taunting the Boar, but I'm not sure he really has to.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote

Having an episode title which is the equine equivalent of "Even Monkeys fall from trees" seems appropriate enough. Even thoroughbred horses struggle to rise again having taken a great fall and the Horse in this series couldn't get over his shock.

The episode had a slight difference as viewers retained a bit of the Sheep Warrior's train of thought until his death, but otherwise the "order of kills" remains largely in keeping with the Zodiac with the obvious exception of the headless Snake.

They're down to 5 warriors now and the Rabbit has acquired an incredibly dangerous ally with his defeat of the Monkey. 3 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1 seems good odds unless the remaining single combatants team up against the necromantist and his coterie.

Seeing as the Snake still has his head attached for next week's trailer it looks like it's a time reversal up to the point he lost his head to the Rabbit. The episode title is a clever one as it's one of the few to combine the dragon and the snake in idiom and it potentially holds a strong clue as to what might transpire over the next two weeks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:25 am Reply with quote
Well it did seem to kind of tease that the order may be broken, but like a sword to the chest, we lost monkey, right before we lost sheep, which just left the walls kind of closing around horse as the episode was going on, that even those defences were not going to matter. Snake also seemed to be dead including his head, with next week being a flashback of sorts.

Well it all points to who the most likely winner will probably be at this rate. Along the lines the finalists, tiger is also stronger than she looks. But also, the rat may have purposely led the snake to the building to kill the horse, as a sort of bringing death danger that I think rats can, his entrance and exit were pretty cool.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote

So much for the "hypothesis" about snakes regenerating their heads. As guessed previously, the animators simply did a flashback episode explaining how the Snake warrior lost his head in the first place. As a bonus, they also explain the Snake Warrior's unique seismograph ability which he can still use even as a headless corpse.

The good news about having a pair of warriors who work in tandem is next week should have far less attention devoted to flashbacks on backgrounds and more on the current action. The Dragon has been exploiting his special attribute to the full since the start but he's going to end up like the Horse if all he does is wait for everyone to kill themselves before he swoops in to finish off any half-dead stragglers. The trailer message at the end more or less hints he's going to get caught out by one of the other participants.

Surprisingly the Tiger has a grudge against the Ox but is only allowed to follow through on it now since hostilities have officially commenced. Whatever happens, both parties need to survive if they want to duel each other. Although the Ox's clever (if almost impossible) stratagem is causing the Snake "pain", it'll only work if the arm incinerates completely leaving the Tiger alive and capable of helping the Ox free himself.

Interestingly enough, the Rabbit has standards when it comes to corpses. I was surprised to find the Ox stumbling on the Horse's corpse, but the Rabbit doesn't like corpses that are "overcooked" (translation is completely stupid, why would he want a corpse that is more well done when it's clear it's the other way round?!)

A final thing to throw out just to see if it's going to be relevant by the end of the series. The Rat is the only Warrior whose weapon is a prop. If that's the case, what's the light show about?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Ox the "genius" of slaughter comes off looking a little lame. He can't handle a severed arm on his own? Really? And assuming his ploy to burn the other arm off of Tiger actually works, he really believes she'll abide by their "deal"? Because drunken tigers are known for their abiding sense of fair play and honour? Okay, then.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ox the "genius" of slaughter comes off looking a little lame. He can't handle a severed arm on his own? Really? And assuming his ploy to burn the other arm off of Tiger actually works, he really believes she'll abide by their "deal"? Because drunken tigers are known for their abiding sense of fair play and honour? Okay, then.

It's surprisingly difficult to fight when the life is being strangled out of you by a zombie arm with a grip strength enhanced by rigor mortis. What would you do? Slice the hand into tiny pieces? Cut the fingers one by one with your sword? All the while doing it while the amount of oxygen going to the brain is being reduced very, very quickly. I was subject to a simulation on how to defend when being strangled from behind and it's REALLY tough even with the right instructions because choking limits a body's ability to listen to commands from the brain.

There is zero guarantee the Tiger is going to hold up her end of the bargain at the end of this. But if he hadn't intervened she would almost certainly be choked to death based on the level of alcohol that was foaming from her mouth. He needs her help and is willing to gamble she won't take advantage and kill him when she's out of the choke hold. The only reason why he's willing to take this risk is she didn't immediately attack him when she was detected and heard him out as he explained what he wanted to do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
I see very little point in trying to think "realistically" about how difficult or not difficult it may be if a person was truly being strangled by a detached zombie arm "enhanced by rigor mortis." This show cheerfully dispenses with the mundane laws of physics when it suits its purposes. So my point remains that within the bounds of the show, it has stipulated that Ox is an unstoppable killng machine and therefore seeing him unable to deal on his own with a severed arm that is choking him comes across as pretty lame, in my view. Within the bounds of the show, it would not have seemed out of place if he was able to shread the arm into little pieces with his own rapier, regardless of how difficult that procedure would be in "real life."
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I see very little point in trying to think "realistically" about how difficult or not difficult it may be if a person was truly being strangled by a detached zombie arm "enhanced by rigor mortis." This show cheerfully dispenses with the mundane laws of physics when it suits its purposes. So my point remains that within the bounds of the show, it has stipulated that Ox is an unstoppable killng machine and therefore seeing him unable to deal on his own with a severed arm that is choking him comes across as pretty lame, in my view. Within the bounds of the show, it would not have seemed out of place if he was able to shread the arm into little pieces with his own rapier, regardless of how difficult that procedure would be in "real life."

He tried, but decided against it. You can see him raising his sword and pointing it against the hand but he then lowers it. If he went by your logic, he would have killed himself since slashing the hand up like he usually does with pillars and armoured gauntlets would have meant slicing his own neck.

All of the Zodiac Warriors possess some kind of special ability that defies reality in some way, but none of them have physical constitutions that defy the laws of biology. They still need to eat, drink and breathe to survive and it is the third factor that has accounted for the Horse and threatens to finish off the Ox.

Not going to be much point debating the "lameness" of the Ox warrior for two reasons. The first is the series has been remarkably consistent in highlighting the importance of the element of surprise in contributing to Warrior casualties. The second is all characters (with one very obvious exception) must stay alive in order for them to enjoy their moment in the spotlight. It's bleeding obvious the Ox and Tiger are going to be the first pair of warriors to survive an ambush in this series through some means or another, but it's only because of "plot armour" thanks to the structure of the series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:10 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Interestingly enough, the Rabbit has standards when it comes to corpses. I was surprised to find the Ox stumbling on the Horse's corpse, but the Rabbit doesn't like corpses that are "overcooked" (translation is completely stupid, why would he want a corpse that is more well done when it's clear it's the other way round?!)

Well all of the ones he has used have been more direct way he or one of his zombies had killed something, while causing fire that cut off the oxygen might not have been direct enough. I had assumed he had to be something like that.

Well, following the order, one would expect the zombie snake's spoiler[attempt futile, the next in line is dragon, followed by rabbit.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7