• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jūni Taisen: Zodiac War (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For whatever reason, the full stupidity of the ending just hit me. So Rat entered the contest without having a wish thought out in advance. Then when he actually does win, his big wish is too forget everything that happened. In other words, his entire participation in the contest - from his point of view (and certainly from my point of view) - was utterly pointless. And what is going to happen to the girl that Dog was fostering who no longer has a guardian thanks to Rat's pointless participation?

Read what he said more carefully. He possesses a power which makes him eligible, he exploits his power every way he can but cannot find an escape route from entering the tournament. Thinking his entry into the tournament leads to his certain death, it is very much a surprise to him that one route allows him to survive and in so doing win the tournament.

The Rat is one of life's "drifters", so the whole tournament concept was anathema to someone like him to begin with.

As for the girl, it's not like she's an infant who's completely defenceless. The girl can walk and she can always attract enough attention to get help. It's not impossible for her to curl up in a quiet corner and wait for death because the Dog Warrior ended up getting killed but I find it less likely than her being found by someone else (likely the Dog's coworkers at the nursery who have noticed his absence and will eventually know about the relationship between the two) and taken into care by Japan's social welfare system.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
I was vaguely aware that Rat had considered trying to get out of the tournament, but it wasn't clear to me why there was such a coercive element to entering with respect to him. It seems like all the other warriors were nominated by their respective families: that is was a "honour" that needed to be vied for/earned. So if there was some element that made his participation compulsory, I would have liked more detail about that.

I'll choose to accept your comforting supposition about what may happen to Dog's young charge.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I was vaguely aware that Rat had considered trying to get out of the tournament, but it wasn't clear to me why there was such a coercive element to entering with respect to him. It seems like all the other warriors were nominated by their respective families: that is was a "honour" that needed to be vied for/earned. So if there was some element that made his participation compulsory, I would have liked more detail about that.

I'll choose to accept your comforting supposition about what may happen to Dog's young charge.

There are 12 designed clans, but the Dog warrior worked alone while it's heavily implied the Horse warrior was chosen for his physical prowess and lack of a better candidate. It's also the clan of the Rat, which probably isn't as organized or as influential as its peers. Some clans just have to force someone to represent them if no suitable replacement can be found (Sheep).

This aspect may have been further elaborated on in the novel, but I have no way to check.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
The anime adapted the prequel Jūni Taisen.Which tells the backstory on why Rat made his particular wish.

The short story which "starts" the tale-
"Dōshitemo Kanaetai Tatta Hitotsu no Negai to Wari to Sō demo Nai 99 no Negai "

For me Rat was burnt out,having fought 100 wars,dying in all but one and remembering them all.

But now it is the Western Zodiac vs the Eastern Zodiac..yay?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7