• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Anime Musicals Get US Releases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CR85747

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Is Miku popular enough worldwide to be called a "global phenomenon"?

I'm not sure if she qualifies as a "global phenomenom," but she has toured with Lady Gaga and appeared on The David Letterman Show a couple years ago, for what that's worth.

Anyway, recently The Muppets did a live 3-day live show at The Hollywood bowl, fully backed by Disney, with the actual regular performers and writers working on it, and it's not getting a home release due to music rights, so I'd assume that same thing super applies here.

Come to think of it, how many musicals versions of American shows in America get released? I can think of Power Rangers off the top of my head, but that's it. Sesame Street which has toured for the greater part of 3 decades has never done a home release, I don't think the Pokemon live show was home released.

The only Disney musical play released on DVD seems to be Newsies. That TMNT thing that EricJ mentioned came out on VHS back in the day.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:40 am Reply with quote
CR85747 wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Come to think of it, how many musicals versions of American shows in America get released? I can think of Power Rangers off the top of my head, but that's it. Sesame Street which has toured for the greater part of 3 decades has never done a home release, I don't think the Pokemon live show was home released.

The only Disney musical play released on DVD seems to be Newsies. That TMNT thing that EricJ mentioned came out on VHS back in the day.

The Shrek Broadway musical (also mentioned) also hit disk--No one really knows why, unless Dreamworks really was that desperate after the movies ended.

Generally, musicals aren't released on disk because, aside from That TMNT Thing, most of them aren't limited-time one-year promotional tours like the Sera Myu shows, are expected to run indefinitely, and don't want to give away their show for free. Even most Cirque du Soleil stage shows are only concerted on disk after they've had a good few years of tours; otherwise, like most stage musicals, only "behind the scenes" making-of's are created, and you'll have to buy a ticket if you want to see the whole thing.
In Japan, an anime musical is just part of the tie-in marketing, so the video probably generates as much yen as the ticket sales.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
I can say that I've discussed licensing streaming rights for anime musicals (tenimyu, yowapedal) with the appropriate rights holder and the rights are available.

One issue is there are no final scripts. There is the play script but the performances often have adlibs and deviate from the original so that's a challenge but other than that I think it's just a matter of no one caring enough to try.
The mg needed is a little high to help cover the music rights cost but nothing too crazy.

I like how Sam is 1 of those people who can act as a medium between fan translators and rights holders.

It came up during normal anime streaming licensing discussions while I was working for Viewster so I wasn't acting on behalf of any fan translators... My past history of being one of the only fansubbers to actually subtitle a Tenimyu 13 years ago aside... Argh kurorekishi!

On a separate note, I WAS contacted by an acquaintance from the industry about the possibility of subtitling one of these musicals (I'll withhold the name) for WORLDWIDE LIVE SIMULCAST... or something nearly so. The plan was to film a perfomance live and subtitle it in 24 hours and play the live footage around the world in theaters for a 1 time show... They do that sometimes here for concerts or operas actually. I think the New York Met does that for its opera performances.
They came to me as the only person insane enough to consider taking on such a localization task, but I quickly learned that whoever came up with the plan didn't have any idea about the actual distribution worldwide. Nor did they actually control the overseas rights... I think it was the production troupe's parent company and they were very naive about how controlling the original rights holder to the IP was about overseas sales.

The point about me relaying this though is that, I do think that someone with a lot of passion and drive could find a partner on this side of the pond (Japan) and could probably find a way to make it work. There just needs to be a little luck and hard work involved.
Cordelia LeFay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I know Takarazuka did a live show here in NY, though I don't know how well it did.

I went to one of the Takarazuka shows in NYC at the Lincoln Center where they performed Chicago. I'm not exactly sure how successful it all was, but from what I recall, attendance was decent at the performance I went to. Tickets were around $80. There were two performers from the SeraMyu musicals, with Yuga Yamato (Tuxedo Mask) playing Roxie.

However, I assumed that those shows weren't so much for making money, but rather increasing the prestige of the Takarazuka Theater troupe. There were quite a few Japanese people in the front row, I'm presuming who were Takarazuka fan club members.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Cordelia LeFay wrote:

I went to one of the Takarazuka shows in NYC at the Lincoln Center where they performed Chicago. I'm not exactly sure how successful it all was, but from what I recall, attendance was decent at the performance I went to. Tickets were around $80. There were two performers from the SeraMyu musicals, with Yuga Yamato (Tuxedo Mask) playing Roxie.

However, I assumed that those shows weren't so much for making money, but rather increasing the prestige of the Takarazuka Theater troupe. There were quite a few Japanese people in the front row, I'm presuming who were Takarazuka fan club members.

Yeah, I would think prestige of playing at Lincoln Center was the big draw. Glad to hear it did decently, when I thought of going I looked up tickets once and saw that seats were far from sold out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3