• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Blue Reflection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to Summon Night 6 and Tokyo Xanadu in due time.
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I know it got it's own sewerage review, but no mention AT ALL for Danganronpa V3?
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
NobodysDawn wrote:
I know it got it's own sewerage review, but no mention AT ALL for Danganronpa V3?

It was mentioned last week and had a link to the review. What else would need to be said?
drakenfyre75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm looking forward to Summon Night 6 and Tokyo Xanadu in due time.

Tokyo Xanadu is out on the vita already, Tokyo Xanadu EX is out later this year. That's the one I'm looking forward to Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a bunch of gamers get worked up about the whole collaboration between Hooters and Sonic. I don't get what's so remarkable about that. It's weird, and it's unexpected, but Sonic's crossed over with stranger things in the past (and likely will in the future, especially now that IDW is in charge of the Sonic comics.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
drakenfyre75 wrote:
Tokyo Xanadu is out on the vita already, Tokyo Xanadu EX is out later this year. That's the one I'm looking forward to :)

I know, that's what I'm referring to.
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I've been in a Hoovers precisely once in Nottingham. Eh. Okay food, didn't know where to look when it came to the staff tho
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
I've been in a Hoovers precisely once in Nottingham. Eh. Okay food, didn't know where to look when it came to the staff tho

I would think the faces (and the chest) Razz
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
From The Article wrote:
Piracy is still a bad thing, but publishers are notoriously disinterested in anything that surrounds game preservation.

Not only are publishers disinterested in game preservation but I don't believe they understand the real implications behind it, which ultimately itself leads to emulation.

I work for an organization that has to deal with older PC and other computer hardware formats of days gone by. Where applicable we try to use the exactly hardware that something was created on, but often ourselves resort to emulation. What's going to happen when say there are no more floppy disk drives (when is the last time anyone here actually USED a floppy disk...)? That analogy can be used to the console argument as stated in the article; what do you do when it's near impossible to finding an operating console? Or for that matter, actually get a signal out of it. Ask someone that owns a 70s Atari 2600 how difficult it is to get it to produce a signal on something that's not an old-school CRT. The televisions of the next generations could have a hard time playing a PS4 or XBox One.

Publishers also either 1) don't keep the original assets themselves or 2) companies no longer exist, which makes obtaining original assets impossible. I highly double Electronic Arts kept the assets to Madden 95 or Enix (before it merged with Square) kept the assets to Soul Blazer. If you don't have the original building blocks for a game then whatever you're attempting to preserve - a physical copy or through emulation - is not the optimal means of preservation.

Could go on and on obviously but I think ever since the companies like Sony and Nintendo realized they could make money off of digital forms of their games they have been more pushing for crushing emulation; the topic game Persona 5 can be purchased digitally. I know we have had instances well in the 90s when emulation first started emerging of similar aggressiveness by video game companies and publishers, but at that time you still had consoles that only played physical games and people with PCs in the know-how that dabbled with emulated titles.

I ultimately feel the efforts of emulators and the people that work on them should not be punished.

-----

Shifting gears entirely I'm really on the fence with this Blue Reflection game, as if the combat is junky then I'm not sure what the game is trying to be. We've gotten a crazy amount of JRPG type titles released in the last few weeks - Ys, D3, I'm also just going to throw Senran Kagura in there as it's quirky Japan. However I'm a sucker for these sort of titles and I'm the person that really wishes Natsuiro High School would come to the US even though it's basically a panty-shot simulator but the slice-of-life and school-life aspects are really appealing. Hell I think if a publisher literally made a school-life game where you just sat by the window and gazed outside not listening to lectures I'd buy it.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
I've been playing Blue Reflection, and honestly the biggest problem with it is that the subs are atrocious. It's true that it's a bit too straightforward so far, too (although setting the difficulty to hard does make the battles last longer, and I actually came fairly close to loosing the first Sepirot fight). I'm still holding out hope for it to improve, at least storywise, because "Persona but magical girls" is kind of my dream game and there's no way I'm not finishing it.
Crext

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
Releasing products with minor bugs at launch is one thing, but I'd rather have annual releases in form of new games than all these chopped up little pieces that make you forget how the original game played if you ever were to return to it.

If "Games as a service" becomes more prominent, then buying games early would become rarer, right? If games become both cheaper and "more complete" down the line, then why purchase anything at launch (which is when the companies get the biggest return on investment)? Also, are there even people down the line that goes like "this newest DLC is definitely the one that convinces me to buy it!"? I get that they buy it on sales later on, but I just don't see the extra DLC as anything but potential advertisement stunts.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
If "Games as a service" becomes more prominent, then buying games early would become rarer, right? If games become both cheaper and "more complete" down the line, then why purchase anything at launch (which is when the companies get the biggest return on investment)? Also, are there even people down the line that goes like "this newest DLC is definitely the one that convinces me to buy it!"? I get that they buy it on sales later on, but I just don't see the extra DLC as anything but potential advertisement stunts.

Oh yes, I have definitely bought games with new DLC as the deciding factor. That being said, those were all games I was previously on the fence about, not sure if I wanted to get it or not, but then the DLC comes along and expands the content enough that I feel I want it.

The main case for this is Splatoon, but that's a game you pay full price up front and get free content updates weekly, and I got it 4 months after release as that was when I felt there was enough content in the game that it was worth the price (and it went on sale at Best Buy).
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I have been loving Blue Reflection. It feels like a healing anime in which you cool-looking monsters to help other people with their problems. My favorite aspect is the lack of grinding required to succeed at the game. I went up several levels just by hanging out with my friends. Sure it's super easy (even on hard), sometimes the cutscenes have incredibly awkward camera angles and the lighting in the game is very bothersome. But I find the combat to be really fun, the characters to be engaging and I love the theme of the story. One thing I won't forgive about the game is the monster who priced the dlc. Like seriously Koei Tecmo, why did you think those prices were a good idea?

On side note, I think all my gaming preorders are cursed cause I currently have to balance Mary Skelter: Nightmares, Blue Reflection and Peach Beach Splash. But hey at least I'm having fun
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
The scarcity of game preservation has been a growing problem over the years, particularly within the modern era of digital gaming. Should a company go bankrupt, the titles under said company that were digital-only disappear forever...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:

Publishers also either 1) don't keep the original assets themselves or 2) companies no longer exist, which makes obtaining original assets impossible. I highly double Electronic Arts kept the assets to Madden 95 or Enix (before it merged with Square) kept the assets to Soul Blazer.

We know Sega didn't keep assets for the Sega Saturn which is why hardly anything from that console has been rereleased.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2