• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: ANN Readers: Ancient Magus Bride Is Most Anticipated Fall 2017 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeeKai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Waiting with great desire March comes in like a lion and Kino no Tabi.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Hm, I'm a little surprised Ancient Magus's Bride took the top spot, since ANN's userbase has a history of being disgusted by shows about older men being in a relationship with a younger girl.

Lichs get a free pass, watch Overlord (albeit Albedo is not a teen and is bat**** crazy).
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Interesting how BBB&B aside, the Top 5 is all confirmed for CR before the season even begins. So no repeat of this season where people were gutted by the anticipated shows being gobbled up by Anime Strike and Netflix.
P4rK3R

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
Sad to see Dies irae at bottom. For me this is one of most anticipated anime in next season

I'm with you man, I think Dies Irae(#20?!) looks awesome along with Children of Whales(#14?) And Inuyashiki(#10). It's not surprising though considering Hajimete no Gal was #1 on alot of anime sites most of this season above many MUCH higher quality shows. Sad alot of good anime gets overshadowed by trash. Hard to see why people without first hand knowledge get such misconceptions about anime and the people who watch it........
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
And people wonder why they keep making Transformers movies. I would have liked to see less sequels hoarding the top spots. Confused
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Like I mentioned in The List thread, ANN's list makes a lot of sense. The only weird thing to me is Love Live! Sunshine!! S2 not being in the top 5. Fall is shaping up like a strong season; hopefully it delivers.

That doesn't really surprise me. I've never gotten the impression that ANN's reader base has tons of Love Live fans anyway (I have no data to back that up, it's just the feeling that I get), but even aside from that, the first season of Sunshine only took 5th place in ANN's summer 2016 "most anticipated" poll (behind the much-reviled Berserk reboot, among others), and then when we got to watch it, it wasn't as well-received by many of the fans as the original either. So it's understandable if the enthusiasm has cooled off a bit. Also, in parallel to that, Food Wars S2 took first place in that same summer poll while S3 is only third here, and that was another show where a lot of people seemed to feel like S2 didn't match the heights of the first season.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Also, in parallel to that, Food Wars S2 took first place in that same summer poll while S3 is only third here, and that was another show where a lot of people seemed to feel like S2 didn't match the heights of the first season.

That season was weaker than this coming one though. It has much stronger competition with a number of highly anticipated sequels (and a few new series), that the fact that it only went down to third when it could have fell much further, like in the Charapedia poll where it didn't even make the top 20 or the other one where it was fifth, seems more indicative of its continued popularity on this site rather than the opposite.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Y'all better check out 12 Wars(Juuni Taisen) when it airs! I know it's not super popular here at the moment, but I think a lot of that has to do with people just not really knowing what it is, who is involved, and also, admittedly, the PV is pretty weird..
Anyway, NisiOisin writing a battle royale series sounds pretty fantastic to me, so that's probably still my most anticipated and I shall continue to promote it for no other reason than that.
Also, I didn't vote for Magus Bride. I liked the OVAs and also the 3 episodes I was fortunate enough to see in theaters... but the comparisons to Natsume's Book of Friends actually have me a little worried. That series bored me to tears, to be honest. It's okay, but I never really felt like it was as profound or relaxing as the fandom surrounding it does. Maybe I was put off by comparisons to Mushi-shi? Which is one of my favorites and resonated with me significantly better. What Magus Bride has done with its setting, color design, and music, is already a step up in my opinion though. I just hope it's not terribly episodic.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Haven't read the manga, but saw the limited screening for the first four episodes and it seems closer to " Natsume Book of Friends meets Snow White with Red Hair and took place in England with British/Western fairy tale creatures" sort of vibe. Not as squicky as it appears but I'm not sure how serious the cow head mage was about marriage.

Don't expect an answer on that in the upcoming animation. It's not going to be a big point of emphasis anyway.

mangamuscle wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Hm, I'm a little surprised Ancient Magus's Bride took the top spot, since ANN's userbase has a history of being disgusted by shows about older men being in a relationship with a younger girl.

Lichs get a free pass, watch Overlord (albeit Albedo is not a teen and is bat**** crazy).

Elias isn't a lich, or even undead (though I can definitely understand why you might think otherwise).

relyat08 wrote:
What Magus Bride has done with its setting, color design, and music, is already a step up in my opinion though. I just hope it's not terribly episodic.

It's not - definitely not in the sense that a Mushi-Shi is, anyway. Assuming the rest of the season sticks anywhere near as close to the manga as the first three episodes do, you should start seeing more definitive story arcs beginning with episode 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
While I haven't watched the OVA episodes yet, my question is this: who do you do think would be a good choice for the 2 leads for the simuldbubs.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:30 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While I haven't watched the OVA episodes yet, my question is this: who do you do think would be a good choice for the 2 leads for the simuldbubs.

For me personally, David Wald would be a perfect fit for Elias, and I'd love to see Bryn Apprill stretch herself and play Chise, which is a more emotionless character than she's used to.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:38 am Reply with quote
Quick questions, guys: is it safe for me to watch Anicent Magus Bride OVAs as non-manga reader?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Quick questions, guys: is it safe for me to watch Anicent Magus Bride OVAs as non-manga reader?

There's a bit of a debate on that. Several people who watched the OVAs without reading the manga said they had no problem making sense of it, though you won't know who the characters are in the non-flashback parts (about 2/3 of it is a flashback) if you haven't read at least three volumes into the manga. So in one sense it makes a nice prequel to the TV series, as it does flesh out the reasoning behind why Chise is doing what she's doing in the first episode, though I think ideally it should be viewed as a complement to the manga/TV series rather than a lead-in to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:

I watched it after the first three episodes and it fit incredibly naturally. You could go in blind, but that feels like the sweet spot to give you just enough info on the characters before you learn where Chise is coming from. Maybe wait till a few episodes have aired before you dive into it.
Naotomato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't think it would be in the top 10 because this show does not seem to be that popular in R1. If it was more Railgun, it might crack the top 10.

Hard to say. It was popular enough to change the sales of Heavy Object and fans to protest. Some of the novels have been on the top lists (the main ones.)

zrnzle500 wrote:
If it is true, it wouldn't be airing this season. We would have heard about it by now.

Rumor says it's airing in October which is the up and coming season from this quote: "Animax’s Aniculbu! (Anime Culture Club) variety show shared a preview of the October 1st episode..."

Me personally, I'll hold off until it happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3