• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: ANN Readers: Ancient Magus Bride Is Most Anticipated Fall 2017 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Quick questions, guys: is it safe for me to watch Anicent Magus Bride OVAs as non-manga reader?

There's a bit of a debate on that. Several people who watched the OVAs without reading the manga said they had no problem making sense of it, though you won't know who the characters are in the non-flashback parts (about 2/3 of it is a flashback) if you haven't read at least three volumes into the manga. So in one sense it makes a nice prequel to the TV series, as it does flesh out the reasoning behind why Chise is doing what she's doing in the first episode, though I think ideally it should be viewed as a complement to the manga/TV series rather than a lead-in to it.

I agree with this. It also casually spoils a few (arguably mild) things that will likely be the climax developments of each cour, so I think it's best watched after you've finished the TV series.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:24 am Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Quick questions, guys: is it safe for me to watch Ancient Magus Bride OVAs as non-manga reader?

I'm not a manga reader and it made a lot of sense to me when I watched the 3 OVAs back to back recently, although I had to play Match the Name to the Character a bit. I tend to be like that (I'm a Touken Ranbu fan, so I'm used to this), but I understand if you're not the same.

I voted Ancient Magus's Bride (1), BBB&B (2) and Inuyashiki (10), so I'm...pretty on the beat this time when I'm normally not. It so happens I'm not familiar with the fall's first seasons aside from Osomatsu-san and BBB&B, and a rewatch of the former made me realise I don't like it. I haven't read Inuyashiki's manga but read the first manga chapter of Juuni Taisen (loved it), so Inuyashiki was probably a risky choice. I'll wait to hedge my bets on actual content when it comes, though.

@relyat08, I think I mentioned this to you in another post but Juuni Taisen is my #4. I think the reason for this is because there's not much of a fanbase around Juuni Taisen because the content is so new (and not released to the West for the most part, since the West like to wait upon official releases if there are any). There's a lot of sequels (using a broad definition of "sequel" to include something like Vanishing Line) this time which really biased the results, plus I haven't seen Natsume's yet...
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Hm, I'm a little surprised Ancient Magus's Bride took the top spot, since ANN's userbase has a history of being disgusted by shows about older men being in a relationship with a younger girl.

When people do things you don't expect it means -- and this should be obvious -- that you misunderstand their motivations. The model you have of how they work inside doesn't agree with how they actually work inside.

At this point you have two choices. You can update your model of how people act so that it matches the reality of how those people act, or you can dig your heels in and insist that other people adapt their own behaviour to match your model of them.

I mean, yeah. Only one of those choices isn't completely stupid. But nevertheless, it is still up to you which one you pick.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I think I'm going to postpone it until the TV anime has end it. Thanks everyone for your response.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3