• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kemono Friends Site: Anime Studio Yaoyorozu Pulled Out Due to Communication Issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I don't get all this legalese Confused Can someone translate that statement into plain English?
I translate it as we fired them but we don't want people to blame us so we are going to say that it is because the studio wasn't communicating with us.
DanQ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I don't get all this legalese Confused Can someone translate that statement into plain English?

Anyways, if Yaoyorozu are the peeps who made KF season 1, and Kadokawa are the peeps who own the KF name, and they're not working together anymore, then that basically means there'll be no more KF. The best Kadokawa could produce without Yaoyorozu wouldn't really be the KF we all love, and the best Yaoyorozu could produce without Kadokawa wouldn't be allowed to use the KF name. Right?

Basically, you are right. Kadokawa is IP owner. Tatsuki and YaoYorozu can make anything they can, but not Kemono Friends. And new Kemono Friends will be work of another people – like Nexon's game (which tanked) and manga by Furai (nice manga, but didn't make any waves, without anime will be probably unnoticed)... well, good luck to Kadokawa...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
DanQ wrote:

Basically, you are right. Kadokawa is IP owner. Tatsuki and YaoYorozu can make anything they can, but not Kemono Friends. And new Kemono Friends will be work of another people – like Nexon's game (which tanked) and manga by Furai (nice manga, but didn't make any waves, without anime will be probably unnoticed)... well, good luck to Kadokawa...

No one is to blame when it comes to IP rights, the situation simply became a PR nightmare even if most likely is "business miscommunication" and not something even close to the Konami-Kojima situation.
wastrel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
At this point, the best case scenario would be that season 2 never gets made, and people happily remember the good old days of season 1.

Yes. Just like there was only one Highlander movie, and only three Indiana Jones movies.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
rizuchan wrote:
(ie probably with episode 12.1)

And the horse racing short, and the Udon short that just aired a week or so ago. There was also when the characters appeared during....Animelo? I think? I'd have to check up. They have been getting around quite a lot, and that might be what upset management.

Yeah, forgot about the horse racing short (which was supposed to tie in with the track's own horse-racing-girls campaign, like the Udon tied in with the company's own fox-girl campaign), which's why I asked about how many of the tie-ins were done with or without Kadokawa, and how many might have tried going directly to the sources.
Cutthroat Japanese license-holding is not to be trifled with or thrown about.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Kadokawa's imprudent decision to fire Tatsuki for virtually no reason other than wanting complete control, they've pretty much doomed Kemono Friends to a very uncertain future...
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
At this point, the best case scenario would be that season 2 never gets made, and people happily remember the good old days of season 1.

Yes. Just like there was only one Highlander movie, and only three Indiana Jones movies.

Four, the fourth one was The Adventures of Tintin in 2011.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
The explanation almost makes sense. I'd fire someone if they were just randomly creating a bunch of stuff based on my IP without getting permission too. Especially if I warned them to talk to me about it before they did it again and they said, "nah, we're just going to keep doing our own thing". The first issue is that I can't possibly imagine Tatsuki or Yaoyozoru doing something like that at all. Or really anyone in a creative position unless they wanted to be fired. I suspect, at the very least, Kadokawa was making some pretty significant demands that didn't line up with the vision Tatsuki had and they decided they knew better than him ultimately. Problem is, I don't think they do.. Sad
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Kadokawa just added more oil to the fire: because the statement is so bullshit in every way possible, and was created solely to state that they are now rules over Kemono Friends IP.

Quote:
However, we received word from animation studio Yaoyorozu of their intent to pull out this past August, so we currently have to start from square one on a production system.

The Donbei Kitsune Udon collaboration short was made in September, and Yaoyorozu and Tatsuki is all credited on this. With collaboration with so big company as Nissin, Kadokawa absolutely did not control the process... really, who will believe this? Or it simply decided to initiate all this mess at the last minute because Yaoyorozu is just a small studio, eh, Kadokawa?

Quote:
However, there are works that Yaoyorozu, the studio that handled production, used without contacting or sharing information through the appropriate channels

Okay, here we go to the real thing, because only one work which falls under this - an unofficial episode, which Tatsuki did for free. But honestly, it's content is all gray zone, because he used models that he himself created with his circle, and the recorded voice lines were completely new - also, in the April it was stated by Mine that Kadokawa give him all creative control on the anime, and he's approved the episode. So, there's again the juridical bullshit in the statement.

Simply put, what Kadokawa did now - it pulled out the card of being Konami 2.0. They gave absolute creative control to Yaoyorozu over the franchise, because they weren't thinked about it's success - and after sudden sleeper hit, when the big money come out from nothing, they wanted to regain the full control over the franchise. However, the Yaoyorozu and Tatsuki, which was completely responsible for the creation and success of the series, apparently had their own vision of franchise, and they didn't agree with Kadokawa with their new conditions, when the contract come - so the business suits simply decided to throw the creators away, using their control over the IP and loopholes in the contract.

Well, now you understand how big companies do things. This isn't done at all for the sake of the fans - they just made martyrs from the people who put their whole soul into the work for the sake of the likely expected profit. And obviously, it's vain to fight for the studio's and Tatsuki to return for work.The only thing that can still be done - is not to let the company prove that they are was right with that decision.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
This is an interesting way of looking at intellectual property (yes, they are property but might not be very "intellectual"): Kadokawa is the franchise's creator in the sense of having the copyrights and trademarks. However, from a practical standpoint in making the show into what is show, TATSUKI/Yaoyorozu are the KF creators.
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
Original nlab article:

Quote:
発表によると、すでに発表されていた新規映像化プロジェクトについてはもともと、今年1月~3月に放送されたテレビアニメ第1期と同様の体制を優先して調整していたとのこと。しかし、アニメーション制作を担当していたヤオヨロズ(たつき監督の所属会社)側に「関係各所への情報共有や連絡がないままでの作品利用」があったため、次回作を依頼するにあたり「情報は事前に共有してほしい」との条件を申し入れたところ、「その条件は受け入れられないので辞退したい」との返答があったそうです。

"According to the announcement: The committee would have preferred that the new anime project be done the same manner as the 1st season which aired from Jan-Mar this year. But because animation production studio Yaoyorozu (which employs director Tatsuki) "did not notify any concerned party about their use of the properties"; so in the negotiation for the new animation project, the committee specifically added the condition that Yaoyorozu would "inform (the committee) about their use of the properties beforehand", and at this point Yaoyorozu said that "they cannot accept the terms provided by the committee and therefore would like to decline the proposition"."

i.e. this is the point of time in August, when Yaoyorozu made the decision to withdrew from participating in the new animation project, which resulted in the public fallout in September when Tatsuki found out that he was dropped from the new animation project.

Quote:
ねとらぼ編集部では9月25日の“たつきショック”以降、複数の関係者に事実確認や詳細な経緯に関する取材を試みていましたが、テレビ東京は9月26日の午前時点で「申し訳ないが現段階でお答えできることは何もない」と回答。1期のアニメ制作を行っていたヤオヨロズからは「担当者が不在」との回答がありました。

"Nlab Editorial Team, as the event unfolded on Sep 25th, has attempted to contact the involved parties for information but: TV Tokyo, as of noon Sep 26th, replied that they "cannot provide any information other than those already in the press", while Yaoyorozu replied that their "Manager/Producer/President is not available/presented (for comment)"."

So according to the information that is out there at the moment, I'd say there was communication issue between the creative and the business side at Yaoyorozu, that someone on the management side fancied themselves bigger than they actually were and everyone else got burnt in the process.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
So it looks like we can write of Kemono Friends now? I don't know how big of a controversy the using their property is, but it kind of feels like something I keep seeing Japanese companies do. You had the whole Konami debacle, or Nintendo being strict with their games being used by youtubers, when really there can be better ways to treat franchises than only having theory methodic use and control.
Drunk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote
Are the "new screen project" and season 2 the same thing?

Then again, it doesn't really matter, I guess, because they have to restructure everything with the director and studio "leaving".
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
The way their statement reads to me is, "We did ask for this, along with a whole bunch of other stuff, but they rejected our conditions as a whole, so we'll blame it on the one request that was actually reasonable and pretend there was nothing else."
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
The Kadokawa appeal to fans not to balk at thier decision because they think of the "animals first" and that they are going ahead "for the animals" because the series doesn't belong to "any one person" (i.e. Tatsuki) is laughably lame and a little insulting. I loved KF from the start and hate where this all is going. I'm with Wastrel and encrypted12345 but the way I remember there were only two Indiana Jones movies...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3