• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kino's Journey TV Anime's 2nd Promo Video Previews Ti, Nagi Yanagi's Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I just find it funny how Aoi Yuki (who voiced the focal character of the previous series' finale) is voicing Kino.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Akiko_Kamikaze wrote:
varmintx wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:
Is it just me, or are they trying to make Kino more gender neutral?

Kino is supposed to be gender neutral. Kind of a whole plot thread about it.

not really...
from the interview with the author animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-09-11/interview-keiichi-sigsawa/.121076
spoiler[
Quote:
Kino herself is the heart and soul of the story to many people. People often talk about how unique she is because she doesn't care if people see her as either male nor female, only "Kino". How does Kino see herself in regards to her gender, since she doesn't seem to act as either a girl or boy?

Kino really doesn't think of herself too deeply when she uses pronouns. Depending on the circumstances, she may use "boku" or "atashi", it kinda depends on the situation she finds herself in. In the first story, Kino always referred to herself as "boku", because it was meant to be like a little secret. At the end of the story, it was treated as a reveal to surprise the readers, because they had probably assumed someone using "boku" was a guy. So it was more of a trick at the beginning. It's not that I wanted to write a story about a girl who lives like a boy directly, it was just an interesting way to start the story, and her character's personality has continued that way since then.

She looks way more feminine in the light novels]

I'm confused. You seem to be implying this evidence refutes what I said, but is actually confirming it. Kino is supposed to be gender-neutral spoiler[and then is later revealed to be female.] That's the plot thread I was referring to.

Not that it seems to matter at this point since everyone just seems to want to give it away.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
As I recall, it wasn't until episode 4 of the TV series (one of my absolute favorite episodes out of all the anime I've seen) where we learn part of Kino's backstory and thus her sex as well. I don't like the term 'gender neutral' to describe a person/character to be honest as that implies there is a 'gender positive' or 'gender negative' to go with it which is sort of silly. Isn't the proper term androgynous?

Besides, the reason Kino spoiler[takes Kino's name, his motorrad, and the mannerisms that she picked up from Kino] is clearly laid out in the source material itself.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
As I recall, it wasn't until episode 4 of the TV series (one of my absolute favorite episodes out of all the anime I've seen) where we learn part of Kino's backstory and thus her sex as well. I don't like the term 'gender neutral' to describe a person/character to be honest as that implies there is a 'gender positive' or 'gender negative' to go with it which is sort of silly. Isn't the proper term androgynous?

Besides, the reason Kino spoiler[takes Kino's name, his motorrad, and the mannerisms that she picked up from Kino] is clearly laid out in the source material itself.

Getting into a debate about semantics doesn't seem particular fun, but I take "androgynous" to mean having both male and female characteristics which isn't really the best description for the character. Kino's more of a lack of either than a combination of both. I'll freely admit, I don't know if "gender neutral" is the best term to use, but it's the one that was used earlier and it at least seems appropriate.
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
Danger, danger! Awful 3D CGI detected! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

And my hope for enjoying everything about this series is discarded. Thank you, SO much.
Alexandre Martins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 am Reply with quote
Robiii wrote:
I sure hope theyll adapt something new as well, otherwise its a waste...
Nonetheless, lookin forward to it

Yes, but it feels like a remake for me, and I see no sense in that. The original was very good and I felt satisfied with the ending of the series, so I really don't see the point of remaking it.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
Alexandre Martins wrote:
Robiii wrote:

Yes, but it feels like a remake for me, and I see no sense in that. The original was very good and I felt satisfied with the ending of the series, so I really don't see the point of remaking it.

Because as perfect as the previous adaptation was, it still did NOT adapt many of the fan favorite stories (like afromentioned Ti, and land of permitted murder) just because they're released AFTER the old anime or just because they don't feature Kino at all. Please remember that the original novel is still ongoing and still very popular. The old anime only adapted 3 or 4 out of 20 (21 next month) volumes. Are you saying these 17 volumes worth of stories aren't worth adapted into anime just because the old anime is very good?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Robiii wrote:

This news is literally about previewing a new character

Can't say I'm a fan of this OP. The art style is a little more in line with the LN art, but that in itself isn't much of a plus for me - the guy's art always felt a little too moe for me, even in his other works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2