• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I hate how homogeneous modern anime looks.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
All the love for Princess Principal makes me think that more people are subscribing to Anime Strike than I would have guessed.
Or are willing to resort to piracy.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
While I don't watch enough simulcasts every season to be the judge of which ones are the best and worse, there was one that I do think is worthy of the latter distinction... but it's not available for legal streaming. And thank goodness for that. Twisted Evil
The world is not ready for the awesomeness that is Kakegurui. Wink

But enough about the true AotS for the time being, here are my picks out of the stuff that did get out of Japan legally:

Best: Owarimonogatari
Runner-up: Made in Abyss
Worst: Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

That last place was certain to go to My First Girlfriend is a Gal until the latest episode of RoB. I wasn't as disappointed in that show as Gabriella was prior to that, but that latest episode killed most of my goodwill toward the show, and I have very little faith that whatever remains to be seen will manage to salvage anything.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Not a lot came out this summer, but there was some good stuff.

1. Made In Abyss: I don't think there's much more to say about this show at this point. It's not just the best show of the summer, it's one of the best shows to come out this year.

2. Kakegurui: The sheer insanity of it all made this a joy to watch. The ending could've been better, but it mostly wrapped things up. I absolutely love Yumeko.

3. Princess Principal: Didn't like this as much as everyone else did. While it was a fun watch, it felt like wasted potential. Seriously, it's an original property, how the hell do you end on a cliffhanger? That's just lazy. Love that opening, though

4.Fate/Apocrypha: Liking this a lot more than expected to. It's probably the most action-packed Fate series that I've seen. Hopefully it can keep up the pace.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Best: Re.Creators Yea i know it begin the last season but still was the best airing this season

Runner-up: Hajimete No Gal The kind of silly fun.
In Another World With My Smartphone The quality of the animation was a little disappointing but made me want to look for the LN at J-Novel Club so it fulfill is job as LN commercial.

Dropped: Love and Lies Men, this story is going nowhere, going in circles, also droped the manga for the same reason.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
3. Princess Principal: Didn't like this as much as everyone else did. While it was a fun watch, it felt like wasted potential. Seriously, it's an original property, how the hell do you end on a cliffhanger? That's just lazy.

Have no clue what you're referring to here. Episode 12 (Case 24) didn't have anything remotely close to a cliffhanger for its last scene.

Running Wild wrote:

I'm baffled by this comment, too. Shows like Princess Principal, Made in Abyss, Welcome to the Ballroom, Love and Lies, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, and Re:CREATORS all have dramatically different looks, and I'm sure you could pull in some other examples from the Summer 2017 season, too. I'll grant you that there is a default generic look to anime, but that's been around in one form or another for decades so it's hardly peculiar to "modern anime."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Runner-up: Hmm... I want to say Gamers, but I got a bit tired of the constant misunderstandings. They were amusing at first, but it got stale after a while.

Yes, my wife and I just had to drop Gamers! because the characters just were too idiotic. A certain level of realistic miscommunication, like Turedure Children can be quite funny, but Gamers! just came off as irritating and unrealistic by comparison. They may have gotten a lot of their game references correct, but they just didn't feel like real people, nor amusing. In a pure comedy perhaps they could have gotten away with it more, but as a show that purports to have something to say it was incredibly annoying and I don't understand how people could enjoy it. De gustibus non disputandum est.

Key wrote:
(Re: PriPri) Have no clue what you're referring to here. Episode 12 (Case 24) didn't have anything remotely close to a cliffhanger for its last scene.

Perhaps v1cious didn't watch the post credits scene? The post credits scene may have set things up for a possible sequel, if they wish, but I agree, I definitely couldn't call it a cliffhanger. If you stop at the credits, though, that could be a cliffhanger.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
v1cious wrote:
3. Princess Principal: Didn't like this as much as everyone else did. While it was a fun watch, it felt like wasted potential. Seriously, it's an original property, how the hell do you end on a cliffhanger? That's just lazy.

Have no clue what you're referring to here. Episode 12 (Case 24) didn't have anything remotely close to a cliffhanger for its last scene.

Ok maybe it wasn't a cliffhanger per se, but I hate the way it ended without really resolving the major plot points. I don't feel like it accomplished anything. Why set up this big story just to leave the audience hanging? I could see if it was an adaption, but this is original material. That makes makes no sense .
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Running Wild wrote:

I'm baffled by this comment, too. Shows like Princess Principal, Made in Abyss, Welcome to the Ballroom, Love and Lies, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, and Re:CREATORS all have dramatically different looks, and I'm sure you could pull in some other examples from the Summer 2017 season, too. I'll grant you that there is a default generic look to anime, but that's been around in one form or another for decades so it's hardly peculiar to "modern anime."

For example, Mahoujin Guru Guru had an art style that was homogeneous... if we were still in the early 90s. I was filled with nostalgia with how much everything beginning with the opening was like a wide-screen version of shows from back then, only with the higher quality that my memory imagines instead of the reality of what it was. I enjoyed its breakneck speed, as befits a comedy.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Best (Special): Owarimonogatari. Easily the best show I have seen in recent years. By far and away my favorite anime of the year but since it wasn't a standard season, decided to put it in its own category.

Best: Gamers, MHA. Gamers took me by surprise by not only how well it understands real gamers, but by just how hilarious it is. I'm a sucker for romance and this show delivers on the innocent-happy-fun kind of romance in spades. MHA probably shouldn't be included as it's a runover, but this arc has been so incredible. Easily the best Shounen since Hunter x Hunter and it continues to deliver.

Runner-up: MiA, New Game!!. Made in Abyss has been fantastic, really awe-inspiring and a definite must watch, but unfortunately it's just not as enjoyable to watch as the others on my list. Part of that is due to the pacing and the fact there is no announced 2nd cour yet, but it's still great. New Game!! surprised me with just how good it became. I didn't realize how attached I had became to the characters until I started getting emotional on some of the episodes. That's some great writing there.

Worst: Re:Creators, 18if. I probably shouldn't Re:Creators here as it's a leftover as well, but man I hate everything that show did (besides the music.) The second half was just as irritating to watch as the first, if not even more-so. 18if is the problem of having a different director every episode. Some episodes were truly magical (like ep 3) but others were totally and completely bottom of the barrel. Not to mention it's trying to tie them all together in these last few episodes and is just not effective at all.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Judging Made in Abyss before the hour long episode 13,which will cover chapters 23&24,folks are going to want to re-cast their votes.....
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Key wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Ok maybe it wasn't a cliffhanger per se, but I hate the way it ended without really resolving the major plot points. I don't feel like it accomplished anything. Why set up this big story just to leave the audience hanging? I could see if it was an adaption, but this is original material. That makes makes no sense .

Actually it did resolve the major plot point of the season: spoiler[that Ange didn't trust anyone.] Presumably you're referring to the bigger overarching plot about spoiler[Princess becoming Queen and taking down the wall], but there was no way a story of that magnitude was going to be resolved in 12 episodes. That's a goal that would take years (if not decades) of story time to accomplish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Judging Made in Abyss before the hour long episode 13,which will cover chapters 23&24,folks are going to want to re-cast their votes.....

Really? I have heard all season annoying manga readers reveling on how much I would eventually not like the anime version, but it has not happened yet. Hopefully, anime only watchers will have the last laugh.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
No one mentioned Action Heroine Cheer Fruits, which is my best of the season - followed up by New Game!!, A Centaur's Life, and Gamers!. Really looking forward to the fall season, with Love Live, Wake Up Girls and Himouto leading the pack. Hopefully the adaptation of Code: Realize will be as good as the visual novel.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Huh, no mention yet of Netsuzou Trap -NTR-. Or the even more infamous (and unlicensed, but readily available) Skirt no Naka wa Kedamono Deshita. Mind wipe, anyone?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7