• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Huh, no mention yet of Netsuzou Trap -NTR-.

NTR is probably the worst thing I watched this season, but I did not mention it because it is a short.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
My best show this season was probably Resturant to another world, who New Game as the runner up. With all the annoyances and bullshit in the world lately it was great to just have two sweet shows and sweet people doing sweet things and not being plagued with conflict (Althouh New Game had Naru who was a bit of a bully).

While I didn't watch all of it I did keep up with the review so for Miracle Examiner, boy what an insult to a whole religion. I'm no stranger to manga/anime butchering the catholic faith. It this was next level awkward. Either be respectful, or pull a Seikon no Qwaser and just go buck wild with the corruption and Violence stuff. VME started that way but never truely went that way. With Qwaser you had cults, church sancioned assassins, reincarnation, and other such, VME never quite made it there.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
invalidname wrote:

NTR is probably the worst thing I watched this season, but I did not mention it because it is a short.

The situation with shorts is weird. We're seeing more and more series come in at less than 22 minutes, making them technically shorts. But when Netsuzou Trap clocks in at 8 minutes an episode, and Tsuredure Children at 12 each, I feel like we're talking about something more substantial than what we usually think of shorts. These aren't little throwaways like The Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor; some of them are substantial shows in their own right (indeed, those Tsuredure kids got picked up for episodic coverage by Nick mid-season).

Maybe it's a side-effect of streaming that a show can now be whatever size is right for it, from double-length premieres to 10-minute weekly episodes? Strange days.
flammie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Best: Princess Principal
Runner Up: New Game!!

Worst: That crappy smartphone anime.

The main article pretty much explains why they were my best/worst shows this season.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Best and Surprise of the Season: Princess Principal
I saw this on the Summer 2017 list and I immediately thought of Flip Flappers, a show I wasn't expected on watching that I ended up loving. So, I tried it out, not expecting to watch it, and BOOM, Princess Principal was my new love. I loved the dynamic of the girls (Dorothy fan) and the atmosphere of the world. Blew me away; would love to watch more.

Runner-Up: Kakegurui

Similar to PriPri, I wasn't planning on watching this at season's start. But, I tried it, and it was awesome. Jabami Yumeko is definitely going to stick in my head as one of those memorable anime characters. Actually, all of the characters of this show were intriguing to watch. I got sucked into the story quite easily; Netflix got lucky with this one. This would be perfect to binge, and could easily be a good gateway anime, if one looked beyond the some of the 'tense sexual' levels it presents. I would even be willing to watch this dubbed too.

The 'Yes, I watched this' Award: Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ
Here's my shoutout towards Symphogear again. While this wasn't the best season, the first half was great. The second half lacked, and the last episode felt kinda rushed, but it was alright. I did enjoy watching the girls again though. Too bad I have to wait another two years for season five.

I also watched Re:Creators and Fate/Apocrypha this season. Both weren't bad, and Re:Creators stuck it's ending. I did like the ending, unlike another two-cour show from last season...

Worst: BahaSoul
WHAT HAPPENED?! This was my AotS last season! What happened to Nina, one of my favorite anime characters in recent memory? And spoiler[ shoving Bahamut into the last two episodes? I understand it had to be tied in here some how, but that was how they did it? 'Revenge'? ] And Charioce, going from kinda interesting to changing personalities on the whim of the writers? They had such an opportunity with him. I feel like the previous cast got shafted as well. Such great promise...

I ended up dropping quite a bit of shows (mostly due to time constraints). The two biggest ones I dropped were Hero Academia (I'm caught up on the manga) and Made in Abyss. I got so enthralled with the mystery of the Abyss I decided to read ahead to cut down on my watchlist. With the show ending, I probably will go back and watch it.
r0verandom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Best: New Game!!
Runner up: Nana Maru San Batsu

I count Sakura Quest and Rage of Bahamut as spring shows.

Worst (most disappointing): Made in Abyss - If it only weren't for this: The only real flaw in MiA's otherwise pristine track record is its admittedly discomforting fixation on the anatomy of its prepubescent cast. While it remains clinical enough with Riko and Reg's frequent nudity to avoid feeling too lascivious, I wouldn't blame anyone for being put off by just how often the story digresses into its more fetishistic tendencies. or if the characters are adults.. But no, they must ruin such pretty looking anime with bad shock value just to attract fetishists and edgy audience.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
r0verandom wrote:
But no, they must ruin such pretty looking anime with bad shock value just to attract fetishists and edgy audience.

Not really, you have to blame the source material. The anime was actually toned down somewhat from what was depicted in the manga.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
r0verandom wrote:
While it remains clinical enough with Riko and Reg's frequent nudity to avoid feeling too lascivious, I wouldn't blame anyone for being put off by just how often the story digresses into its more fetishistic tendencies.

I think this argument is overwrought myself. See my comments in the Abyss thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4956701#4956701
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Best: Made in Abyss This was an easy choice. Easily the most technically accomplished show this season, and a shoe-in for my top 5 of the year. I won't belabor the point as apparently (almost) everyone chose it as well.

Runner-up was harder as there were a number that I could have chosen, especially after New Game!! hit that walk-off homerun of a finale. But, again like apparently everyone else, I went with Princess Principal. I had zero expectations going into it but by the sixth episode I realized that it was genuinely a good show and one of the best of the season. The production values were pretty good (though not as good as MiA), which is what puts it above my honorable mentions.

Speaking of which: Magical Circle Guru Guru, New Game!!, Tsuredure Children (edit: whoops almost forgot to put it), Gamers!, Knight's & Magic. All of which I seriously considered for runner-up. (Side note: hopefully Guru Guru can keep coverage next season, as it just recently became apparent that there is a strong possibility that the next cours won't be covered here. It would be a shame for a show that good to lose coverage).

Worst: While the brazen wish-fulfillment of Smartphone is a tempting target, Vatican Miracle Examiner is my choice without question. I do enjoy watching a truly bad show, and I've seen most of the shows that have gotten that nomination in previous seasons, but I don't think I've seen a show that is simultaneously the fun kind of bad and the boring kind of bad. It is difficult to fathom how a show could be so ridiculous and yet dreadfully boring. I voted for it with the best of intentions, hoping it would become the genuinely good show that I expected it to be before the season, and I picked it up after the Exploding Hitler arc that earned its so-bad-it's-good reputation. Unfortunately, my initial impression after the first episode was correct, in that it wasn't terribly interesting in execution. I don't regret watching it, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Overall, I didn't think the season was too bad. I was more disappointed in the beginning of the season, with two of my would be most anticipated shows being picked up by Netflix, Symphogear being picked up by the unquestionably worst licensee, No One (and still is Evil or Very Mad ), and Owari 2 only being a special. But a number of shows were much better than expected. In addition to PriPri, Gamers, Knight's & Magic, and Guru Guru (though I didn't think a comedy directed by Ikehata was going to be bad), 703X, Cheer Fruits, Classroom of the Elite, and (select episodes of) 18if were also better than I expected. I think Spring was better and Fall will be better, but I don't think Summer was so bad.

Also, it was nice to see Centaur's Life continue the trend of Monster Girls anime being pretty decent while being totally different than its sister shows.

Almost forgot to ask about this:
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
Instead, I spent my weekend binge watching the modern classic Neo Yokio several times in a row.

Why would you subject yourself to that? I can understand once (I did so myself and enjoyed it, though perhaps not as intended) but several times? In a row?! No one needs that much Neo Yokio in their life.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd say I'm surprised vatican miracle examiners only got worst once, but I assume no one other than James actually watched more than one episode, so they don't realise the sheer.... terribleness of it.

I'd say best anime for me at current is Princess Principal but to be honest the only things I've kept up with are PP and VME. I need to catch up on Tsuredure as I'm sure it'd be my favourite (as it's one of my fave manga) but the subtitle choices really distracted me.
I also need to catch up on Guru Guru, which was one of the titles I was really looking forward to...........
scowler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Love and Lies was the worst show of the season. It actually started well: interesting world building, nice trashy love triangle setup, Ririna. And then, after about five episodes, the plot went... nowhere.

By the end, no resolution in sight, we're reduced to a drinking game revolving how often the MC brings up his weird burial mounds fixation. I mean, was there any other entertainment to be found?
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
MAssForder85 wrote:
Too long

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. How do you know what people like/don't like? It sounds like you're trying to project your own opinions of these shows onto everyone else..
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
My best of the season is Owarimonogatari Ge. Shut up yes it counts.

Runner-up would then be Tsuredure Children, for being a wonderful comedy and also wonderfully fuzzy. After Tsukigakirei also being wonderful this has been a great year for romance.

If you don't wanna count Monogatari, then put up Fate/Apocrypha as the runner up instead. It's got great action and some cool characters, and that's all it needs, really.

Now for worst I'm having a difficult time. In the new stuff, I only dropped Touken Ranbu out of everything I watched out of boredom. In the leftovers, I only dropped Re: Creators for being terrible at the start of the second cour. For stuff I've finished, Princess Principal had bad episodes for a third of its run, so much so that even the very good couple it got in the middle didn't balance it out enough. I did watch very little this season, though.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

I think NTR deserves a bit of respect for its ending alone. At this point I'd rate it above My First Girlfriend is a Gal, though I haven't finished that one yet.

The three shows I watched this season were Made in Abyss, My First Girlfriend is a Gal, and NTR, which shows you how amazingly straight I have my priorities. Laughing I definitely plan on watching Kakegurui and Princess Principal soon.

Anyone else surprised by how fast it seems like everyone stopped caring about Welcome to the Ballroom? There were people hyping it up saying how good the manga was and how it'd definitely be the next Yuri!!! on Ice, it had that big premiere on Twitch, and then it just sort of went lukewarm (I haven't seen anyone mention it on my Twitter feed in months, with the exception of one infamous neck screenshot).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Not completely caught up on it but so far my favourite by far is Made in Abyss, other than that I wasn't really that into anything else except for the continuing My Hero Academia so that's my runner-up. As for worst of the season I pretty much agree with what Gabriella Ekens said about Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul and I didn't watch much this season so I'd go with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7