• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
...The Worst: The Reflection:...Special shout out goes to all of the dull uninteresting dialogue in every episode...
You remind me that I didn't pick a "worst", and like some others here, I don't watch shows for long if I don't like the first few episodes and steer clear of those I think I won't like unless reviews are positive. However, I totally agree with your criticism on The Reflection and would nominate it for "worst" among shows I have watched this season. It didn't seem too bad compared to really awful shows I have seen, though I have had some harsh criticism for it in past posts, but I can't seem to push myself to watch past Ep6. Its just too tedious for the reasons you give and I couldn't care less about the characters so overall it seems a waste of time.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the finale for Bahamut Virgin Souls. Seriously... the ending, and I mean the very, very end, after the credits, is almost like they said, :yeah, we f-ed up bad, so please let us set things up for a possible do-over."

Be warned, in case you plan on actually watching the ending, I'm about to completely spoil it; spoiler[ They One hit KO Bahamut, everyone's smiles and happy times. Charioce is suddenly a hero for defeating Bahamut, and now blind in both eyes. Nina, who by the way helped him fire his stupid ancient cannon thing, is now apparently mute. And to top it all off, Kaiser is apparently revived as a zombie, and Bahamut isn't even actually dead, just off in some likely temporary ephemeral form. ]

I haven't watched Vatican Miracle Examiner, or Lights of the Clione, or The Reflection, but it is hard to think that any of them could have bombed as hard, if only because Bahamut was pegged to be such a hit from the start of its run. I don't know that the others had as much expectations for them to be viewed as a much of a disappointment (The Reflection maybe because of its pedigree, but that formula has been tried and failed before, so I personally didn't put much faith in it).
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
...Princess Principal. I had zero expectations going into it but by the sixth episode I realized that it was genuinely a good show and one of the best of the season. The production values were pretty good..., which is what puts it above my honorable mentions.

^^^This. If it weren't for BnHA (my best by holistic viewpoint), PriPri would've taken my cake. I found myself going, "That was actually a good episode," after quite a few episodes of the latter, even though I wasn't biting at the bit for the next ep.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
An honorable mention for most enjoyed series is Saiyuki Reload Blast. It just made me happy each week. I'd highly recommend it to fans of the franchise just for looking so gorgeous, and strongly discourage it as a jumping-in point for non-fans.

I went into Saiyuki Reload Blast with no prior knowledge at all (aside from stumbling across this magazine article last year). I really enjoyed it despite its initial repetitive nature, so I want to hunt down more Saiyuki! (Admittedly, I did have to use Wikipedia and find manga volumes of Reload at a library to get me up to speed on some things, but I had more fun with this than Katsugeki Touken Ranbu and that says something, seeing as I'm a Touken Ranbu fan who loves the heck out of Kanesada.)

The Reflection was so late and I wanted to give it a chance after a lukewarm beginning, so I ended up being stuck with it all season (and it's pretty much cheating to put it here but it's been stuck as my last since it began). While it isn't terribly good, it isn't terribly bad either. You just have to get used to lots of non-motion and waiting for the magical girls (which, as of episode 9, spoiler[have landed in America but haven't done anything, urgh]). Apparently Sky Show bugs a lot of people, but I have the habit of watching with the volume on mute so I can focus on the plot so...I was exempted from that.
Wahappen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Best is Made in Abyss the rest is meh just a xerox copy of any plot that has been recycled before. The sequels came out weak.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
While there hasn't been many gangbusters shows in the summer season or even a consensus, at least there has been a couple gems here and there especially in shows with pretty solid female leads of various occupations. I mean we got these in the summer season:

- steampunk spies
- game developers (ESPECIALLY how male-oriented that field is)
- monster girls where a few are legitimately lesbian
- rural developers
- an adventurous spelunker
- crazy gamblers

It's pretty good mix all things considered. And definitely Princess Principal was a nice surprise of the season considering it could have became incompetent later in the series' run like say Izetta.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
After the gang buster season that was Spring 2017, Summer 2017 proved something of a disappointment: very few shows proved of any interest to me, and several of the ones that did pique my curiosity turned out to be utterly unwatchable. For me the best two shows of the Summer were holdovers from Spring, namely Re:Creators and Sakura Quest; only one (my pick for Best) came close to toppling those two. So, with the caveat that I still prefer both of those titles to anything that appeared in the Summer, here’s my pick for Summer Best:

Best: Made In Abyss
No surprise here. This series had great animation, a novel setting, an engaging story, and really likeable characters. In fact, the animation was so good that at times it felt like I was watching a feature film; it reminded me a lot of early Miyazaki, particularly Nausicaa or Laputa. Kudos to all involved in this production; it truly was one of the most memorable series in recent memory. Season Two, please!

Runner-Up: Classroom of the Elite
This show was more of a guilty pleasure than anything. I have a soft spot for calm, cool, smart MCs, and watching Ayanokouji deal with the curveballs thrown at him was great fun. It would be a real shame if this is the only season we see of this series, as I really want to see where everyone goes from here on out.

Honorable Mentions: Re:Creators (2nd cour); Sakura Quest (2nd cour); Gamers; New Game!!; Knights & Magic; Owarimonogatari (s2)

Dropped but otherwise decent: Restaurant to Another World

Worst: Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor
Without a doubt, this was the most disappointing title of the summer. Irresponsible Captain Tylor is one of my all-time favorite anime titles, and I’ve been saying for years how much I wish we’d get a sequel. Be careful what you wish for, and all that. Yeah, its dreadful. The only saving grace I can think of is that each episode is short (like, 3 mins), which makes forcing yourself to endure the god-awful acting and crappy animation (I swear, it looks like it was done with Adobe Flash!) is a much less excruciating ordeal than if each episode were a full length. Avoid at all costs, especially if you remember the original with any fondness.

(Dis)Honorable Mentions: Vatican Miracle Examiners; 18if

I had intended to watch Fate/Apocrypha and Saiyuki Reload Blast, but decided to wait on both shows as I am not yet caught up with previous titles in their respective series. The only other title I skipped but now might go back to is Princess Principal; based on everyone’s comments, it does sound like it is a series worth spending some time on.

Bring on Fall 2017; looking forward to Blood Blockade Battlefront Beyond, The Ancient Magus Bride, and the new series of Kino's Journey.
Adrian Robotnik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
"18if" is the worst anime of Summer 2017: bad animation, bad drawings, bad story...maybe there were a couple of good episodes, but It wasn't enough to save this series.
Best of the season: Made in Abyss & Centaur's Worries (that also made me buy the manga)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7