• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Silent Voice Anime's English Dub Cast Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
The scene previewed in the article was a lot more emotional in Japanese, but nonetheless I'm thrilled they chose a deaf actress for Shoko.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
^ I'd attribute that more to the fact that you've watched the scene before and therefore it's not quite as powerful as it was the first time you witnessed it.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
^ I'd attribute that more to the fact that you've watched the scene before and therefore it's not quite as powerful as it was the first time you witnessed it.

Weirdly, I'd say the same thing as KENZICHI, and I've only seen this scene in silence while someone talked over it in an analysis video. I think it's because the acting of the mother looks quite emotional, but her voice doesn't match her actions in intensity.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
Not to poop on anyone's parade and I do understand the tokenism of having an actual deaf person voicing the role of a deaf character. But I feel like if that is the only reason she was chosen for the part, i'st a bit narrow sighted. Sort of like putting the cart before the horse.

I mean it's not like ordinary voice actors/actresses can't do justice in voicing characters that have traits that they themselves don't physically have. Just look at Branson Potter voicing Nick from Gansta (also a deaf character), I feel like he did the character justice and he brought to the role professional expertise on the mannerism of the character, something a unseasoned voice actor would have a hard time emulating.

So, again, I hope the casting decision wasn't sole based on the fact that the character and voice actress are both deaf.

whiskeyii wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

Weirdly, I'd say the same thing as KENZICHI, and I've only seen this scene in silence while someone talked over it in an analysis video. I think it's because the acting of the mother looks quite emotional, but her voice doesn't match her actions in intensity.

It also could be due to the fact that if you don't speak a language and reply on subtitle to tell you what is being said you can't really judge the "acting" as much as you can a language you DO understand. You can objectively judge it as opposed to a language you don't understand and the ways you judge the quality is with much more scrutiny than you do a language you can't understand.

My first language isn't English (but I'm fluent in both, but more proficient in English) and I can speak from experience. When someone likes something in a language they don't speak and that same thing is present in a medium that is in a language they do speak, they can't have an objective analysis of that said media like someone that is fluent in both. They also, tend to elevate the version they can't understand over the one they can. Sort of like, they imagine the one they can't understand doesn't have those flaws that they observed in the version they do understand, when in fact, a lot of the times that is far from the truth.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I am surprised that they gotten a dub in full swing already despite this movie being a year old as of now. I am impressed with the voice cast they garnered for this dub, either they work fast or they planned this ahead of time the moment movie released in Japan. I thought if there was going to be anyone to dub this movie, it was going to be either Funimation or Aniplex of America to dub it, but this was by NYAV, the same people who helped dubbed Your Name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2