• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's your name. Film Gets Live-Action Hollywood Adaptation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Definitely an adaptable story, but just, no thanks.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
LuluTheOtaku wrote:
But I think at this point, Hollywood have no choice. They started by adapting young adult novels, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Twilight, Maze Runner etc. And now that they're running out of those they've moved on to comic books, which will stick around for a bit longer with Marvel getting consistent ratings and DC, Sony and Fox attempting to cash in on the craze as well.

Sorry to spoil your timeline there, but comic book-based movies have been a steadily-recurring thing for decades. The surge of them started before the surge of young adult novels that you're talking about did.

And it's not like young adult adaptations haven't been going on for decades, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Before everybody freaks out, Bad Robot is good at working on these kinds of stories. They're one of the few studios I would bet on to NOT ruin this. Also the screenwriter is competent enough to pull it off.

The staff is definitely about as good as I could imagine. Still have zero interest in this though. I feel like it's both too soon, and just not a good choice to adapt. It'll just be yet another Hollywood rom-com with a twist. And those are not usually all that great. Not to mention basically this same twist has already been done in a few other movies like The Lake House. Also, What made this special to a lot of people was the fact that it was animated, and animated immaculately. I just don't see the appeal of this at all.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
ICO44 wrote:
Why!!? the movie is already great with beautiful hand drawn animation. Why the hell want this!!? This honestly pisses me off. its like in the west they can't take the movie seriously unless it live action..

That is precisely why. Animation simply isn't respected as an artform in America. The movie did amazing in Asian countries like China and Korea, but it's performance in American box offices was atrocious. Hollywood knows its a huge film, but it's animated medium instantly turns off 99% of American moviegoers who view animated movies as kids fare. Live-action adaptions are the only way to get the public to see an animated work not for kids in theaters. To most Americans, it's just a cartoon.

-Stuart Smith
dtp98

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
ICO44 wrote:
Why!!? the movie is already great with beautiful hand drawn animation. Why the hell want this!!? This honestly pisses me off. its like in the west they can't take the movie seriously unless it live action..

That is precisely why. Animation simply isn't respected as an artform in America. The movie did amazing in Asian countries like China and Korea, but it's performance in American box offices was atrocious. Hollywood knows its a huge film, but it's animated medium instantly turns off 99% of American moviegoers who view animated movies as kids fare. Live-action adaptions are the only way to get the public to see an animated work not for kids in theaters. To most Americans, it's just a cartoon.

-Stuart Smith

Ad that's what gets me the most about, not only this, but most Live-Action anime adaptations in general. It's like essentially saying "Yeah, your work is good, but the only way we'll truly recognize it as a "success" if if you change it to meet our standards."
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
At least they have a solid (Oscar nominated) writer this time. Death Note's downfall was hiring the Fantastic Four writer. You can have Scorsese as a director, but if you have a crap screenplay, there's still little chance the project could turn out good. Also, having JJ Abrams on board shows that they're at least taking the project somewhat seriously.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Is anybody else's reaction to this article "well, actually, Your Name. is *not* science fiction."? It's fantastical and supernatural, but not scifi at all.
Codeanime93 wrote:
Honestly I would feel better if someone was making an expanded live action version of Voices of a Distant star.

That's a great idea. Now, Voices of a Distant Star is excellent science fiction with a lot of potential to expand its world and story. Your Name is a well told, complete story. The only place I'd want to see revision/expansion is with more side stories in the middle portion, or maybe a prequel about a different couple. VoaDS is much better suited for expansion or revision. Maybe if this is popular they'll go back into Shinkai's earlier works?

Though I'm sure Hollywood and the writers would change a lot of it and make the age gap at the end of the movie between the two smaller than the anime. probably will make the girl older than she was to begin with.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
All I gotta say is: Hot damn, did not expect this! Shocked
MJKS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
It will open in theaters three weeks after Akira.

That's an impressive (theoretical) creative commitment though. And credit to Abrams (I assume) for acting so quickly.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
How do properties spread around THIS quickly?
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
At least they have a solid (Oscar nominated) writer this time. Death Note's downfall was hiring the Fantastic Four writer. You can have Scorsese as a director, but if you have a crap screenplay, there's still little chance the project could turn out good. Also, having JJ Abrams on board shows that they're at least taking the project somewhat seriously.

JJ is just a current hot fancy name in Hollywood for Scifi they're just piggy backing off name by having him produce. Also this script writer wrote Final Destination 5... Arrival was good mostly thanks to the directing the script itself wasn't that great imo, the rest of his filmography is pretty poor also.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon: I have an Imgur upload of an e-mail response I got from Disney historian Jim Korkis almost 7 months agoabout a blog post. The e-mail was about a claim on a blog that Walt didn't really create Mickey Mouse, as that was Ub Iwerks.

Jim Korkis is considered 1 of the foremost Disney historians, so I trust his words. The link is
imgur.com/B8QMJo5 and the image is called "Walt didn't admit Ub Iwerks was the real Mickey creator."
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
One hopes that this will be more Girl With the Dragon Tattoo & less Let Me In; although with JJ involved I do wonder if they'll go overboard on making the "sci-fi ending" an FX extraveganza.

& if it shocks you that Hollywood would want to adapt/remake a popular non-English language property for a general English speaking audience, I envy your youth & inexperience.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
Is there any news about these incessant adaptations that cannot be summarised by this famous quote?

If it's Shinkai that Mr Abrams wants, take Children Who Chase Lost Voices instead! That was a dour film that can only be improved through further iterations. If cash is his goal—as is perhaps more likely—then he may as well invest in property like all the other monied types! Inner-city rents only rise, as we all know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
Please don't take one of the best animated films from last year and butcher it. Death Note at least had a universal premise before the hollywood mentality got dumped on it. This is uniquely Japanese in nature and just doesn't need the remake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7