• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's your name. Film Gets Live-Action Hollywood Adaptation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:

Mid to late 1980s. Loads of great movies with no numbers at the end, not too many comic book movies either.

80s-90s was a nice silver era of Hollywood. I've seen a few people here bemoan how anime is too insular these days because back in the 90s and 80s there were cues from Hollywood movies in some older titles. My response is generally what movies made in the past 20 years are worth taking cues from? I can't really think of any.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Eh, just change the Mountain God to Jesus and it will work almost frame by frame.

There is not a lot of "Japan" in the movie besides the liquor ceremony, it could work with almost any city and little town in the world.

If the movie is already universal as it is, then why bother remaking it?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

So let's not get all bent out of shape about Hollywood doing this and keep some perspective.

Like the perspective of Hollywood adaptations mean jack shit in the long run to the viability of anime. Have we seen a truly good anime adaptation thus far? Not really. Has anime itself been impacted by the lackluster Hollywood adaptations? Not at all. We're still getting more anime each season produced than the normal person can even keep up with. Every time I see pages full of people basically saying the sky is falling in regards to a Hollywood adaptation announcement I have to shake my head. Seriously, who cares if they make them? If they suck, just don't watch them. It's not like the Hollywood execs are coming to your house and holding you at gunpoint forcing you to watch the movies. Many also act as if Hollywood execs broke into their house and stole their favorite possessions just so they could make a bad version and spit in their faces. Seriously people. Now if they're good, than that's awesome. Even if the adaptation does suck it's also not as if it someone makes the origin material somehow suck now because of it. Either way anime is going to continue to be made so why get all ornery and worked up over something that honestly does not matter?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
You should care because it means Hollywood wants control over anime, and everything JJ touches turns to shit.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So let's not get all bent out of shape about Hollywood doing this and keep some perspective.

This will be positive when hollywood finally snaps and says "Ok, let's do cartoons for a demographic other than pre-teens". In the meanwhile I will just facepalm and pray some hollywood exec does not come with an inane idea like "Let's buy Studio Bones".
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Eh, just change the Mountain God to Jesus and it will work almost frame by frame.

There is not a lot of "Japan" in the movie besides the liquor ceremony, it could work with almost any city and little town in the world.

They'll make it some science-fiction phenomenon involving black holes and time dilation or something.

Maybe the woman will be some Native American. And the guy will come from Wall Street.

That's right... the characters will most likely be aged up. Lol!

On second thought... if they're smart, they'll keep everything as is with a young cast and push it as a family film for Christmas. Body-switcharoo movies aren't new to Hollywood. But be prepared for the comedic parts of this film to be a bunch of poorly written lowest-common denominator type stuff with a trans joke or two added in when 'Taki' has a dilemma over what bathroom to use.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:
If the movie is already universal as it is, then why bother remaking it?

Because according to the illustrious members who vote for the Academy Awards, when they're not too busy arbitrarily accusing more than half the country of racism, they've got no time to bother watching some 'Chinese Cartoons.' Especially if they're subtitled.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Anime even more so, as to the general public it is still thoroughly in the realm of children and manchildren.

Why? Just about every single anime that gets produced nowadays is aimed at teens and adults, and contains content that's inappropriate for kids. The small handful of kids anime that gets produced nowadays end up going unlicensed most of the time, while very few of them are actually lucky enough to either stream on Crunchyroll or get marketed like a mainstream property.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I've seen a lot people in this thread bemoan how artistically dead Hollywood is nowadays because it just keeps recycling old ideas and feeding off of stuff from other mediums.

And frankly, I think people are getting overly concerned about this being a sign of a slew of anime-based projects coming because there's a limit to how far that will go. your name. grossed over US $350 million, so Hollywood would be stupid if it didn't pay attention to that. Dragon Ball and Ghost in the Shell are long-standing franchises that even many people not into anime in general are familiar with. Same with Akira and Death Note, whereas Battle Angel is a case where it has a cool factor that would translate well for American audiences.

Again, people, it's just plain lazy to say "Hollywood's run out of ideas!"
If they actually had run out of ideas, they'd just go back further and further to the last idea that DID work and do that. (Sort of like Fox, which wants to reboot Die Hard, now that they're won't be any more Alien, Apes or X-Men for a house brand.)

There are reasons why Hollywood makes strange remakes. There are.....ALWAYS. REASONS.
There is a reason Hollywood remade Ghostbusters spoiler[(desperate Sony franchise-verse)], there is a reason they remade Dragonball: Evolution spoiler[(leftover memo from Fox's "trendy" attempt to rival Warner's Tolkien)], and there was a reason they remade Ghost in the Shell spoiler[(using ScarJo to boost an old 90's memo of the one anime title they'd heard of, before Marvel could do that mythical "Black Widow movie")]
They all had reasons that made sense to them at the time. Crazy, desperate, neurotic reasons from sheltered trend-lagging producers who don't get out of LA much, but reasons nonetheless. Anyone who is going to understand Hollywood must understand this from the beginning. As the old saying goes, "Nobody sets out to make a bad movie, the problems start when they think they're making a good one."

In this case, it's the simple reason that Hollywood can not let any other country have an all-time domestic #1 hit movie. While Funi has gotten into the theatrical anime business and knows its audience, mainstream studios believe that mainstream audiences "wouldn't want" to go to a dubbed or subtitled movie, and even if they brought it over, they still wouldn't make money off of it, seeing as it belongs to somebody else. It's more than just wounded pride, it's business (yeah, right).
That's why they remade "Let the Right One In" without Swedish accents, that's why David Fincher had to make "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" all over again and make it different this time because we'd all seen the original, that's why Chris Nolan had to remake "Insomnia" and put it in the only American place where they had Nordic seasons, why Chris Columbus thought he had to remake "Troll Hunter" even though most kids were already watching the original, and why Disney gave us all those danged Martin Short French-comedy remakes after it worked for "Three Men & a Cradle".
Thankfully, we never tried to remake Australia's "Young Einstein", but there was briefly talk of whether we could do our own version of Germany's "Downfall"., And the Richard Gere "Hachi: a Dog's Tale" in a small New England town, 'nuff said.

And then, with anime remakes, you have the "It's The Only One They've Heard Of" factor, which's why we only see version of dated anime titles that cable fans and non-fan press talk about.
Like DBZ. And Ghost in the Shell. And Akira. And Death Note. And Sword Art Online. I shouldn't bring up Lion King, but do I have to bring up Astro Boy, or has that one pretty much gotten amnesty by now?
And, like the Keanu Reeves "Cowboy Bebop" we never got, the cooler the producer/director--like JJ Abrams, f'rinst--the cooler anime he's going to tell us he's heard of. Say, folks, he's watched Your Name....OOOOO!!! Shocked

But then the "It shouldn't not come from Hollywood" studio-town factor kicks in, and they try to find the last mainstream studio movie the weird foreign hit resembles, and make that movie, so it won't confuse the audience.
In this case, what movie does the weird, foreign funny-talking movie resemble? Well, it's a spiritual/cerebral romance, set against a time-space distortion...Oh, okay--It's Arrival, quick, get the Oscar-nominated guy!

There are always reasons, people. You just have to look.
You may not like what you find....but trust me, they're there. Confused

Last edited by EricJ2 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Just Passing Through wrote:

Mid to late 1980s. Loads of great movies with no numbers at the end, not too many comic book movies either.

80s-90s was a nice silver era of Hollywood. I've seen a few people here bemoan how anime is too insular these days because back in the 90s and 80s there were cues from Hollywood movies in some older titles. My response is generally what movies made in the past 20 years are worth taking cues from? I can't really think of any.

The 90's? Really? God, there are so many big Hollywood films of 2000-present I would rather watch countless times then watch most of 90's blockbusters even ONCE again. Aside from a select few gems like Jurassic Park and Terminator 2, the 90's was mostly stuffed with disaster movies where the CGI menace was the only real character and everyone else was basic character types to a tee. And the superhero movies we did get from that era are some of the worst to ever have been made with the exception of Blade 1. It was only around 2000 with the beginning of Spider-man, X-men, and especially Lord of the Rings where Hollywood finally felt like they were making an effort again. Sure, we get some more mindless nonsense now and again like the Transformers films and such, but for sure I'll remember the characters in a MCU film, modern Star Wars, the new Apes series, etc. than I will practically any of the characters in Twister, Deep Impact, Volcano, Armageddon, Dante's Peak, etc.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Have all the good Hollywood writers retired?
Endless remakes and sequels finally got too repetitive for them?
Maybe we'll see a live action Giant Robo or worse... Oreimo! Very Happy
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:

Well, think William Goldman and Larry Gelbart retired, but Ernest Lehmann died about ten years ago.

If you mean "Why did they hire the Arrival guy?", it's because Hollywood doesn't buy scripts anymore, they hire scriptwriters to write exactly the movie they had in mind, which is usually the critically acclaimed movie they saw some other studio or country just make, and wished they could make it themselves.
Or, if the writer has put out a shingle for on-demand "hire work", like Alex Kurtzman or Matt Sazama did, and promotes himself as specially trained to throw together whatever six-film franchises the studio has mind, on a moment's notice.

In this case, though, it was "Let's hire the Arrival guy, at least that movie made sense."
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:

Maybe, but I'm not fully sure.

Quote:

Yep.

Quote:
Maybe we'll see a live action Giant Robo or worse... Oreimo! Very Happy

Doraemon would be even worse since it's Japan's anime cultural icon!
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll take Shinkai's clouds and comets in the night sky over whatever realistic la-di-da Hollywood is going to shovel out. This is going to have no soul.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
To: Japanese creators

Please stop sending your anime to be disasterized or in this case utterly destroyed inside and out by Hollywood (this can't be adapted properly at all), your fans hate it when this happens. Nobody wants it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You should care because it means Hollywood wants control over anime,

How do they control anime by making live action adaptations of anime (and manga/lightn ovels) for audiences a good portion of whom have never touched the source material?

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
and everything JJ touches turns to shit.

Well sure if you ignore the fact that if this were objectively true he would've faded into obscurity after making bad movie after bad movie(or TV show) just like Uwe Boll.

mangamuscle wrote:
This will be positive when hollywood finally snaps and says "Ok, let's do cartoons for a demographic other than pre-teens".

....American cartoons from their initial inception were primarily done for a non child demographic and eventhough this slighted shifted around the 50's/60's or so it never meant they stopped completely making them for older audiences as shows like Space Ghost Coast To Coast, Bojack Horseman, Archer, Family Guy, Black Dynamite, Venture Bros, Home Movies, Spawn The Animated Series, etc showed.

Key wrote:

PREACH.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7