• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Anime Casts Minori Suzuki, Natsuki Hanae

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:06 am Reply with quote
The manga version of Clear Card is running in Nakayoshi (a shoujo magazine marketed to 8-14 year olds) and I'm hoping that the fact that this show is going to be airing on Sunday mornings indicates that the anime will have a similar target audience, and won't try to "deconstruct" anything like all the magical girl shows aimed at otaku seem to want to do these days. A little of that kind of stuff is fine, but not every show, you know?
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:27 am Reply with quote
Wait, I'm confused about something.

This Clear Card sequel, which will it be closer to? The storyline in the manga or the story in the anime? (Or more specifically, the anime movies?)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

This Clear Card sequel, which will it be closer to? The storyline in the manga or the story in the anime? (Or more specifically, the anime movies?)

It's being advertised as an adaptation of the Clear Card manga, which starts up at the exact moment the original manga ends.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

To chance a guess, it'll be in the middle of them both.

The first manga had a loose enough story that the anime could add so much filler. It helps that Nanase (the writer of the manga) worked on the anime too, and will be here as well.

My guess is that they'll still keep the overarching plot the same, but we'll still get more filler this time. Since Sakura's cards are being replaced with Clear versions, I can see this being the case with the anime-exclusive cards.

I do want to see if Meiling will return though~.

@ BodaciousSpacePirate Original CCS was never about that. CLAMP does a great job of deconstructing and making stuff dark by their own standard. (One very inspired by older/retro and vintage series.)

CCS has been one of their most light-hearted series even at its "darkest," which is funny because MKR also ran in Nakayoshi and got way darker. CLAMP also has other manga where they can be more dramatic and dark (regardless of on/off status), so I think Nanase and co will keep CCS fairly light and pretty much follow the kind of tone and atmospere it has consistently had.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with Minori Suzuki and I'm mostly only familiar with Natsuki Hanae from his work as Taichi in Digimon Tri and Biscuit in Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans. But I'm glad to see some newer voice acting talent being cast in this instead of just relying on the same old popular voice artists. I'm curious to see what talents they bring to this.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

It's an adaptation of the manga sequel (which obviously follows manga canon). There was a prequel OVA bundled with the third volume of the manga which was a straight adaptation of the last couple of chapters of the original manga. That OVA's well worth a watch: the DVD that comes with the manga has English subtitles, or I hear someone put together a decent fansub as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1