• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Where Did "My First Girlfriend is a Gal" Go Wrong?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
This is like an anime version of "American Pie".
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
luigi-dude10 wrote:
Why is no one mentioning the fact that Funi is injecting western political crap into their dub completely different from the original's dialogue? If your looking for wacky plots and fanservice Manyuu Hikenchou remains unlocalized, Sentai already got Seikon (boob sucking the anime). Hajimete no Gal didn't have much hype out of me considering it's runtime outed the crap visuals to come, but when escapist content like that is having a narrative edited into its dub I am immediately disgusted. It's bad enough sports, netflix, and hollywood are doing that crap... guess it was only a matter of time before they started doing it for anime...

Aren't most Funimation dubs heavily localized like that? I though it was why people watched them. But I looked up the dub in question and it does seems weird they always pick ecchi anime to try to appease to the "Shonen Jump Weekly millennial cucks". If you told me I'd ever hear that phrase in a dub I'd think you were lying if I hadn't watched it myself.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Not_Nitsugalego wrote:

It's Jamie Marchi. She's a great actress but every time she's a script writer you should avoid that dub like the plague (see Kobayashi, and now this mess).

No, its not. Gal's script writer hasn't been announced, but Marchi is writing Restaurant to Another World. That's shows fine, not a comedy or fan service show, so nothing to be worried about
lycopene

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

Aren't most Funimation dubs heavily localized like that? I though it was why people watched them. But I looked up the dub in question and it does seems weird they always pick ecchi anime to try to appease to the "Shonen Jump Weekly millennial cucks". If you told me I'd ever hear that phrase in a dub I'd think you were lying if I hadn't watched it myself.

I cant say this with 100% certainty since i simply don't watch everything, but the majority of what they work on is properly translated with the appropriate amount of localization needed to accurately convey what's happening. The fanservice shows however, they are the ones that get heavily altered, but the weird political stuff is new. Started with prison school, and I've been wondering if these sporadic incidents have been happening because it can easily be corrected later for home video, just like prison school
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Minoru was recast right around the time Jill Harris mentioned on twitter that an actor recently had to be recast because he was offended by the content. I'm thinking that was Cris

From what I've heard, thats fairly common with dubs of ecchi series. Not necessarily quitting, but disliking working on them, and sometimes the actors will use aliases as well, especially the women

I'm not surprised Minoru got such a reaction, especially after ANN's reaction to Tenshi no 3P. Personally, Minoru was my favorite thing about the series outside the fanservice. Shinpei and Junichi's reactions to his antics was hilarious.

-Stuart Smith
NPC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
Something is wrong with "this week in anime". Two people discussed anime which none of them had any reason to watch. They are in ideal agreement about obvious nonsense. I think Steve Jones doesn't exist and this whole dialogue is Jacob Chapman talking with himself.

I read few other "this week" articles, they are just as strange. Participants don't have any personality, they are mutually interchangeable and agree about everything. It doesn't look like a real discussion, just a slightly edited monologue.

Nicholas Dupree and Michelle Liu were introduced like "anime obsessives on Twitter", yet their Twitter IDs were not given. It looks like they obsess about anime in solitude and scared of people following them on Twitter. I'd like to look at their Twitter pages if anyone saw them.

Steve Jones was added without any introduction. It's a good fake name, very common yet not completely obvious.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
NPC wrote:
Something is wrong with "this week in anime". Two people discussed anime which none of them had any reason to watch. They are in ideal agreement about obvious nonsense. I think Steve Jones doesn't exist and this whole dialogue is Jacob Chapman talking with himself.

I read few other "this week" articles, they are just as strange. Participants don't have any personality, they are mutually interchangeable and agree about everything. It doesn't look like a real discussion, just a slightly edited monologue.

Nicholas Dupree and Michelle Liu were introduced like "anime obsessives on Twitter", yet their Twitter IDs were not given. It looks like they obsess about anime in solitude and scared of people following them on Twitter. I'd like to look at their Twitter pages if anyone saw them.

Steve Jones was added without any introduction. It's a good fake name, very common yet not completely obvious.

You know, you can lodge complaints and criticisms without resorting to laughable and easily disprovable conspiracy theories that delegitimize them before you've even gotten started.

So here's my twitter, here's Nick's, here's Micchy's, and yes, here's Steve, he's a very real person who we specifically brought onto the team because he has very different tastes and opinions to balance the group out. There was a lot of enthusiastic agreement on things this season because well, it was kinda sparse for content and quality all around. I thought we did a solid job with what we had to work with, but Fall is bound to be a lot more colorful.

We considered linking their twitter profiles in the column itself, but wanted the feature to run for a while before doing so. We might or might not at this point, I'm still thinking about it.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
There was a lot of enthusiastic agreement on things this season because well, it was kinda sparse for content and quality all around. I thought we did a solid job with what we had to work with, but Fall is bound to be a lot more colorful.

We considered linking their twitter profiles in the column itself, but wanted the feature to run for a while before doing so. We might or might not at this point, I'm still thinking about it.

Funny you should mention that as this was my first time ever that I had a season with 2 shows I gave 10/10 and 4 shows 9/10. Pretty much unheard of. I don't think I've ever had such a stacked season in terms of my personal tastes (at least for the top portion, there were quite a few stinkers that drug down the overall quality of the season.)

Now as far as feedback for the article goes; Going into next season you should definitely continue with the talking about shows that aren't necessarily being reviewed or talked about (like Gal.) That gave some of the best TWIA articles. Also I don't know the best way of doing it (whether it's as frequent guests of ANNcast, guest reviews, or some sort of blurb in TWIA) but it would be awesome to actually learn more about the speakers of the article. It's hard to grasp where Nick's, Micchy's, or Steve's taste come from when their opinions aren't really represented outside of TWIA. Such as if TWIA was hosted by you, Theron, James Beckett, and Nick Creamer it would be more popular, it would also gain popularity if Nicholas, Michelle, and Steve weren't just random talking heads.
Not_Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Not_Nitsugalego wrote:

It's Jamie Marchi. She's a great actress but every time she's a script writer you should avoid that dub like the plague (see Kobayashi, and now this mess).

No, its not. Gal's script writer hasn't been announced, but Marchi is writing Restaurant to Another World. That's shows fine, not a comedy or fan service show, so nothing to be worried about

If I may put my tinfoil hat on, I think that's exactly why they didn't announce Gal's script writer *X-files theme*
On a more serious note, I should have clarified that there's no official info on who's the script writer. My bad.

Also, I'm not saying that Jamie Marchi is incapable of writing good scripts. In fact, I enjoyed most of her work as a script writer.
My reason for boycotting her work is her condescending and hurtful attitude towards scores of well-intentioned fans when her work was criticized (the same goes for that dude from Prison School, who hasn't done any script writing since the debacle).
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
NPC wrote:

What you're suggesting sounds like a whole lot of work for no real payoff. Why would Jacob be writing a column where he talks to himself?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
^Sounds kind of delightful though, to be honest. Laughing
For real though, Jacob has enough other avenues to express his opinion, without having to hide it here using fake aliases. That would be utterly pointless.

Anyway, I agree with TasteyCookie in regards to liking the discussions on lesser discussed and watched shows. I wasn't a huge fan of the column originally, to be honest, for a number of reasons, most of which have been expressed by others and addressed, and now I do find myself clicking through every time it's about a show that I have even remote interest in(which is most of them). It's easier for me to follow a discussion like this one, and the 18if one, at whatever point I happen to catch up with a show too, rather than feeling like I have to be caught up on everything to avoid spoilers.
The only thing I still find less than ideal is the layout of the text. It's a little arduous trying to work from side to side at times. It would be a slightly easier read if it was just top to bottom, in my opinion.
NPC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:52 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
You know, you can lodge complaints and criticisms without resorting to laughable and easily disprovable conspiracy theories that delegitimize them before you've even gotten started.

No, I don't. I have no idea what you are talking about. I "lodged complaints and criticism" well before the theory. This "before you've even gotten started" just doesn't make any sense. Is it "I always wanted to say this one day" thing they do in anime?

The idea that this "review" needs some clever tricks to be delegitimized is laughable itself. It works for people who never saw the show, but only for them.

Conspiracy theories are fun, especially if they explain weird stuff. "Laughable and easily disprovable" ones are the best because A) you can laugh about them and B) they can be easily disproved.

Quote:
So here's my twitter, here's Nick's, here's Micchy's, and yes, here's Steve

Thank you. I was wrong, sorry about that. It was an honest mistake. Indeed, the accounts exist and these people are just as obsessive as was promised.

Quote:
he's a very real person who we specifically brought onto the team because he has very different tastes and opinions to balance the group out.

Really? He seems to be in perfect sync with the rest of you. It is a balance of four identical pieces.

Quote:
There was a lot of enthusiastic agreement on things this season

Indeed. These people agree about everything - why they even bother discussing stuff? What can be more boring? It is amazing that you found three people so in sync with you that they can't disagree about anything. I would be surprised by one, but three! Well, maybe it is in their contracts.

Quote:
We considered linking their twitter profiles in the column itself, but wanted the feature to run for a while before doing so.

I wonder why. These people generate "content" for you yet you don't want to promote their twitter accounts which costs you nothing. Weird.

While we are on topic of split personalities, I would like to clarify something. Jacob and Hope Chapman are Jacob Hope Chapman, right? Why?

CatSword wrote:
Why would Jacob be writing a column where he talks to himself?

It just looked to me like something he would do. No unnecessary dissent, full compliance with the correct way of thinking, illusion of consensus of people unrelated to him, significantly easier fluff than actual reviews. Perfect soapbox for venting. And three other just generally looked fake to me. I was wrong apparently. Live and learn.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
NPC wrote:

It just looked to me like something he would do. No unnecessary dissent, full compliance with the correct way of thinking, illusion of consensus of people unrelated to him, significantly easier fluff than actual reviews. Perfect soapbox for venting. And three other just generally looked fake to me. I was wrong apparently. Live and learn.

It's almost like this bizarre paranoid fantasy version of Jacob you've constructed in your head has nothing to do with reality!
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
NPC wrote:
[While we are on topic of split personalities, I would like to clarify something. Jacob and Hope Chapman are Jacob Hope Chapman, right? Why?

Jacob formerly went by Hope Chapman online before coming out as transgender. They are not separate people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NPC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It's almost like this bizarre paranoid fantasy version of Jacob you've constructed in your head has nothing to do with reality!

Exactly! Maybe I need a new tinfoil hat.

CatSword wrote:
Jacob formerly went by Hope Chapman online before coming out as transgender. They are not separate people.

Thank you. It was puzzling me for a while and I had no idea where to look.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3