• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Sword Art Online Series Adds Writer-Producers Patrick Massett, John Zinman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, they will do a better job with "Sword Art Online", than what MTV did with "The Shannara Chronicles".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
My state of mind when reading such things, and one I'd recomend everyone to have:

Expectation from a hollywood live-action adaptation of an anime: It's gona be garbage

Reasoning behind this:
If it ends up being garbage: as expected
If it's better than garbage: something to be happy about!
If it's a masterpiece: Happyness EX

This is far better compared to the "usual" way to take such situations:

Usual expectations: It could be great! they have the money! And lots of experts!
If it ends up being garbage: rage EX and/or sadness EX
If it's better than garbage but below normal: Rage C~A++, Sadness C~A++
If it's normal: Neutral state of mind, disappointment A
If it's better than normal: Happyness E~B++
If it's as masterpiece: Happyness A

With this I mean to say that, if one's looking at it with skepticism and expecting what's pretty much happened till now, you won't be sad if it fails, but you'll be incredibly happy and surprised if it becomes a masterpiece! On the other hand, if you have expectations, you have the chance of getting incredibly disapointed, sad and angry if it fails, and up to being somewhat happy if it's a masterpiece, since you "expected" that.

I believe this is the only way to look at hollywood productions nowadays, I have enough rollercoasters with anime adaptations from LNs/VNs and Manga.

One thing though: This isn't being done through Hollywood. It's American, but it's outside of the Hollywood system.

mangamuscle wrote:
Yes I can! In the words of Steve Jobs "A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”. Japanese anime studios should make a real effort to sell their products to people beyond the hardcore base, albeit I admit the simple reality we live in is that for decades they have made no effort whatsoever to show anime to the mainstream, if there is an anime industry nowadays is thanks to the hardcore fans that subtitled and distributed their favorite animes. There is of course an inertia to break, but hey, twenty years ago people would not believe you needed to carry a computer about the size of a small purse and nowadays people can't remember how they went on their daily lives without one.

I do believe that eventually, the Animation Age Ghetto will be no more, but it's either going to take a long time or it's going to take someone amazingly skilled to pull that off.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
If it ends up being shit, congratulations, it's a faithful adaptation. Laughing
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this live-action adaptation will have as many prominent female characters as the original or will they balance out the gender cast.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
青白 wrote:
First your name and now SAO. North American media entertainment sure has gone to the S*****HIT in terms of creativity.

Japanese media is not better either. Considering Sao is a ripoff of .hack. Many shows are just rehashing the same stuff over and over again.

So true. There's like a gazillion cute-girls-doing-cute-things shows! It's crazy that the anime market is oversaturated with constant rehashes! What's the point in rehashing a successful idea when you can just create something more unique? No wonder why half the shows every season get left out in the cold once they've finished airing.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
Okay, I get that, but we don't need a live-action adaptation of Sword Art Online. It's better for newcomers to watch the anime

Yeah now if only anime were just as popular in other parts of the world as it is in parts of asia to the point anime is shown on basic cable (at better hours), anime DVDs sell just as much hollywood DVD's, then this would actually make sense.

epicwizard wrote:
(there's a dub for crying out loud, they don't have to watch it subbed!) instead of wasting millions of dollars on a live-action adaptation.

And marketing a medium which isn't all that popular in certain markets isn't a waste of dollars as the anime bubble soberingly showed?

epicwizard wrote:
I don't care about Sword Art Online, but a live-action adaptation isn't gonna give me the incentive to check out the franchise.

If you don't care about SAO then your contempt for a live action adaptation then is rendered illogical. Secondly Hollywood doesn't care about whether you touch the light novels, anime, or manga after watching the LA they don't have the same problem as Japan where adaptations of existing works are made to give exposure to the source material (usually while the source material is still going) and if the adaptation is a bomb (along with the source material) leads to source material being strangled in the bath tub.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Concerning rehashed of the samw themes over and over again, personally, I care none of that especially if its the cute girls doing cute things because that's just what I'm into. Other people may not felt the same but I'm pretty okay eith how the animation industry is going and as long as they could make the industry alive with the themes that they kept being stuck with, its fine by my book. Originality doesn't necessarily equates toward being better, and taking a risk isn't necessarily for the best. Creating anime is a business afterall, and who likes to see their investment getting roasted? Beside, you could say that almost every entertainment industry out there are rehashing all the basic concept that sold a lot, like the frequent productions of superheroes movies and generic drama for my part of the country here, added with the ever swarming first person horror for video games. It's easy to talk about taking risk when you aren't personally involved in the showbiz, after all.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I have little faith in either of these people based on their track record. (Really, now - Lara Croft: Tomb Raider?! I've heard good things about Friday Night Lights but I also know that is an entirely different type of show.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I kinda forgot about this project.

There are a number of ways this can go wrong... but there is potential for it to be very good, if they do it properly.

And by properly I mean:
1. Take the term "adaptation" very lightly. Don't attempt to adapt the main plot with the main characters. We have LNs, manga, and an anime series. We don't need anymore rehashes of the same plot. Instead, create an original plot with new characters that also happen to be stuck in SAO.

2. Take the Progressive novel approach and give floor by floor story arc. There is a lot of drama between the different guilds and players that the anime hasn't gotten into. It would be prime material to base a TV series on.

The best way to make this project fail is to try and adapt what's already been told. Because all that will do is bring out all of the flaws of your work since it gives people something to directly compare it to.
GMArcturus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
My problem with this is that a huge majority of the story takes place in the game which would need to be animated because IT IS A VIDEO GAME AND THOSE AREN'T LIVE ACTION! Why waste time trying to make this a live action show when the story takes place in a video game world?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Hey, maybe the writer for this adaptation will actually have the slightest idea as to how MMOs work. Razz
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
1. Take the term "adaptation" very lightly. Don't attempt to adapt the main plot with the main characters. We have LNs, manga, and an anime series. We don't need anymore rehashes of the same plot. Instead, create an original plot with new characters that also happen to be stuck in SAO.

Basically do what the video game adaptations are presently doing?

R315r4z0r wrote:

The best way to make this project fail is to try and adapt what's already been told.

....And yet Game Of Thrones and The Walking Dead didn't fail in spite of adapting what's already been told.

R315r4z0r wrote:
Because all that will do is bring out all of the flaws of your work since it gives people something to directly compare it to.

Making it an original story can still lead to people comparing it to the original work not simply the other way around.

GMArcturus wrote:
My problem with this is that a huge majority of the story takes place in the game which would need to be animated because IT IS A VIDEO GAME AND THOSE AREN'T LIVE ACTION! Why waste time trying to make this a live action show when the story takes place in a video game world?

Your logic kind of collapses when you reconcile the fact that all these series tale place in mediums where the characters are animated/drawn in the real world and animated/drawn in the fictional world. You're making something sound way more complicated than it really is.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
It's not like the Sword Art Online anime was some sacred masterpiece. They could do a pragmatic adaptation, and actually make it decent this time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
GMArcturus wrote:

There have been plenty of game worlds in live action that are also live action. I can think of eXistenZ and Spy Kids 3 off the top of my head, for instance.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
GMArcturus wrote:

There have been plenty of game worlds in live action that are also live action. I can think of eXistenZ and Spy Kids 3 off the top of my head, for instance.

Which are....pretty much what Hollywood thinks VR is, without ever having played a Playstation 4 in their lives.
A distinct difference between fiction and fact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3