• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime of Fall 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:43 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

No, they’re a prequel, so you can watch them before the series, which I did. You don’t have to watch them before it either.

They're partly a prequel. You can understand enough about what's going on to watch them first, though they'll make more sense if you wait until near the end of this season to tackle them.

Thanks for the info and the clarification =)
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:58 am Reply with quote
One thing to note regarding the OVAs. They have mild spoilers for some key plot developments the anime will most likely be covering up until its final episode. If you don't like spoilers at all, avoid them. They were made with manga fans in mind to be released with the new volumes.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote
I currently have 16 anime on the list I want to see (including the sequels Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond and Classicaloid 2, and including hype-based picks Kino's Journey and Urahara - I have no prior experience with Kino's Journey so I'm kinda apprehensive about it, but we'll see how well that turns out when it comes).

It would be annoying to put up the laundry list of reasons why I'm interested in each show, so I'll just say my top spot belongs to the aforementioned BBB&B. Regardless of staff changes and whether I've read the manga or not (I haven't so far), if it's more BBB, then I'm in.

Last edited by lostbirdinatree on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Calico

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
Okay, I re-read the first chapter of the AMB to see if I had somehow misrembered things, and no. I still think the relationship is pretty creepy. Predatory was maybe the wrong word to use, and there's certainly no forced romance in what I've read, but the implications still make me uncomfortable. This'll be my last post on the subject cause I don't want to derail the thread any more.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I read in an interview with the mangaka that she wanted to write a Beauty and the Beast-style story where when the “beauty” falls in love with the “beast”, he stays a beast.

Interesting. That's exactly what I thought of the story from the first three volumes. I was on the mark. Still can't wait to see the anime. : )
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I've only read up to volume four of AMB, so I may be missing some context here, but my impression of Ainsworth's feelings towards Chise was less spoiler[child-grooming] and more along the lines of a kid who just bought a toy they really wanted. It's pretty obvious that Ainsworth has very little concept of human interactions, and while his treatment of Chise seems to waffle between "toy" and "pet", it feels stripped of the usual leeriness and skeeviness we see in stuff like, say, the Twilight series.

In conceit, to me this feels more like a sanitized Scum's Wish story of two broken people stumbling through life together rather than the usual Jerk-Ass Boyfriend trope we see in paranormal romance stories.

That said, since I also saw the first three episodes in theaters, I feel like the anime struggles to capture the wonderment of the manga, so right now Kino's Journey is my most-anticipated.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
Okay, I re-read the first chapter of the AMB to see if I had somehow misrembered things, and no. I still think the relationship is pretty creepy. Predatory was maybe the wrong word to use, and there's certainly no forced romance in what I've read, but the implications still make me uncomfortable. This'll be my last post on the subject cause I don't want to derail the thread any more.

Oh, you're not spinning off-topic at all.

And while I wouldn't use the word "creepy" myself, I can absolutely understand that reaction and don't think it's totally inaccurate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I still think that Daybreak Illusion was the superior show between that and Yuki Yuna, as I thought the personal depth of the characters was handled better and it was the first magical girl series that I could remmer that focused on the idea of the innocents being transformed by the bad guys being un-savable, and forced the girls to reckon with the idea of taking the lives of innocent people. It felt like the personal stakes were higher for the girls.

That being said, I did enjoy Yuki Yuna and will watch the follow up.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I've only read up to volume four of AMB, so I may be missing some context here, but my impression of Ainsworth's feelings towards Chise was less spoiler[child-grooming] and more along the lines of a kid who just bought a toy they really wanted. It's pretty obvious that Ainsworth has very little concept of human interactions, and while his treatment of Chise seems to waffle between "toy" and "pet", it feels stripped of the usual leeriness and skeeviness we see in stuff like, say, the Twilight series.

I highly recommend continuing with it, whiskey. I wouldn't say things have completely changed, but spoiler[Elias is getting better at understanding emotions in much the same way Belle helped Beast learn to cherish and appreciate what he had].

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I still think that Daybreak Illusion was the superior show between that and Yuki Yuna, as I thought the personal depth of the characters was handled better and it was the first magical girl series that I could remmer that focused on the idea of the innocents being transformed by the bad guys being un-savable, and forced the girls to reckon with the idea of taking the lives of innocent people. It felt like the personal stakes were higher for the girls.

I'm glad someone brought up Daybreak. That show seems to have be all but forgotten, or at least mentioned very little, if at all.
Mojave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure I'll give a few different series a try this season, but the one that I've been actively looking forward to is Food Wars. For whatever reason, the show just clicks with me. I recently re-watched both seasons in about a week to make sure I was ready for season 3. It was nice to see Rebecca give it a mention, since it's a fairly polarizing series.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
[ Honestly, I prefer this kind of thing to Beauty and the Beast, in which only the boy is really that screwed up, and the girl just selflessly takes on all his problems because "that's what women are supposed to do".

This may or may not help, but as a tale type, Beauty and the Beast is often interpreted to be about girls going into arranged marriages - her older new husband (who may well be hairier and more "beast-like" than anyone a sheltered girl has ever seen before) is so far beyond her experience that she can't see him as "safe" or "human" at first, but once she gets to know him, she is able to see him as a man. I think that this view of the tale type could absolutely apply to AMB with both characters.

As a side note, I have to admit that in terms of "supernatural being takes in human girl" stories translated by Seven Seas, I actually prefer The Girl From the Other Side to AMB.
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
May it's just the hipster in me, but the one I'm looking forward to the most (well, peoples' reactions really) is Children Of The Whales ( / "whale calves sing on the debris"); what I read of the manga was pretty good and aesthetically pleasing, with nice amount of action, anthropology/worldbuilding, and character work. Plus it's all of those things in a shoujo package, which is a nice change.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:36 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
One thing to note regarding the OVAs. They have mild spoilers for some key plot developments the anime will most likely be covering up until its final episode. If you don't like spoilers at all, avoid them. They were made with manga fans in mind to be released with the new volumes.

Thanks for the additional info Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Black Clover is easily my most anticipated show. What Studio Pierrot showed looks really good and the manga is pretty damn great, so I'm really excited to see Asta and crew get animated.

My other most anticipated show is Just Because! I honestly have no reason for why. That main visual is just clicking. It's a true shame Funiroll didn't get it. I would have watched it dub.

Yeah, it had that "Tsukigakirei"-style to it. I also like original anime partially because you don't have to worry about butchering/skipping out on the source material. However, I guess you could say it is an adaptation of that April Fool's anime poster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3