• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Main Cast Performs Mitsuboshi Colors Anime's Theme Songs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
I read a few chapters of this a while back. It was fun because I'd been to Japan not long before, so I recognised when they went to Akihabara, and I could recognise Ueno park.
The manga itself is pretty cute but damn the art style always makes me think of barasui's work.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
The manga is super cute and I'm looking forward to the anime, the intro and end credits are probably going to have fun music with some very fluffy visuals.
wastrel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Mitsuboshi Colors. Evil in it's cutest form.

(Okay, they're not evil. Just... well, watch. You'll see. The trail of tears. The wake of destruction. The horror.... the horror...)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

The manga itself is pretty cute but damn the art style always makes me think of barasui's work.

Well, Mitsuboshi Colors is published in ASCII/Dengeki Comics' Monthly Comic Dengeki Daioh which also published (and hopefully will soon publish again) Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow, so it would not surprise me at all if Katsuwo was an assistant to Barasui. I have the final two never-published-in-English volumes of Strawberry Marshmallow in French (published as "Les Petites Fraises") and there is a subtle art shift that does make me suspect Barasui hired a new assistant sometime around 2009.

One difference between Barasui and Katsuwo's styles is Katsuwo is much more prone to use the >< eyes in comical situations than Barasui ever did.

The biggest difference that I've noticed between Strawberry Marshmallow and Mitsuboshi Colors is that adults are major supporting characters in Mitsuboshi Colors whereas, aside from occasional appearances by a couple of teachers and Ana Coppola's mother and a few single-appearance salesmen and store owners, adults don't have much of any presence at all in Strawberry Marshmallow beyond being anonymous background characters. (Nobue Itou doesn't count as an "adult" as she's only 16 in the manga.)

The "Colors"' interactions with the townspeople in Mitsuboshi Colors reminds me much more of Yotsuba&! (also published in Dengeki Daioh) than anything in Strawberry Marshmallow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1