• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Cool Runnings 2049

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Does this mean we'll end up with Lawrence of Arabia 2 and Casablanca 2?

Actually, I rechecked IMDB, and they tried to do tv tie-ins to Casablanca. Laughing And also, now that I recall, there was a novel sequel to Blade Runner, but not written by Dick.

Yep, that was twenty years ago, and Attempt #2 of how many over the last thirty-five years?
The Roger Rabbit sequel we still haven't gotten currently hangs on to the record for "Most Stubborn Development-Hell 80's Sequel", but now that we got it, Blade Runner just managed to beat out "Tron: Legacy" for second, with "The Simpsons Movie" coming in at Honorable Mention.

The fact that we did get an Ultraviolet and Batman anime mostly dates back to The Animatrix--
Back when some kids literally thought "Anime is an adjective!" for anything cool and scifi-action, Warner tried to exploit fans talking about the Ghost/Shell "Anime Connection" in The Matrix (the Connection was good if it was Matrix, bad if it was Lion King), and, being Warner, thought it would work for every house brand they wanted to sell.
And then Sony, being Sony, did it because Warner did it.

And of course, as everyone knows, "What happened to Cool Anime in the Early 00's" was the mid-00's Bubble, after everyone who just found out about it tried to exploit it, nobody knew how, and didn't get the sales numbers they thought they would, after they found out Toonami/Adult Swim wouldn't show everything like they did with Cowboy Bebop.
Next question.
Zump

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Back when moé was the Worst Thing Ever, I recall someone (don't know who) stating that part of the reason anime stopped being cool was because we started off getting stuff like Midnight Eye Goku, the Animatrix and Trigun, but then segued into Love Hina and Rizelmine. It's been long ago enough that I take this with a mountain of salt (because in retrospect, people outside of anime didn't really get exposed to how big moé became).

I think part of the reason anime is becoming cool again is because we're getting more varied stories that can appeal to people. We got a love story between ice skaters, we got "Your Name Is", we got "Lesbian Experience with Loneliness"... there are more non-orthodox anime we can show neophytes that might resonate with them. We have approachable media, that accounts for a lot.

Pretty much this. The late 2000s up until (roughly) 2012 was a pretty terrible period for the medium, as moe was the most dominant (or at least front and center) genre available. Aside from Shonen Jump shows like Hunter x Hunter 2011 and the occasional weird and interesting series like The Tatami Galaxy, there wasn't much that stood out from this era. Even the film scene was pretty unimpressive, consisting of either Ghibli (titles of a lesser caliber like Ponyo, Earthsea, and Arrietty) or faux-Ghibli films (Hosoda and Shinkai's pre-Your Name films). The only non-Ghibli esque films released during this period were Sword of the Stranger and Redline, both of which bombed terribly and, as far as I can tell, failed to make any kind of impression on either side of the Pacific.

It's not until 2012 and the release of Attack on Titan that we start to see anime rebound from its slump. One Punch Man seemed to bring in a lot of fans in 2015 (which was also the year streaming services like CR really started to gain significant traction), and Yuri On Ice did way better than anyone could have predicted.* We're also seeing more shoujo anime such as Snow White with the Red Hair, Sailor Moon Crystal, Yona of the Dawn, and The Ancient Magus' Bride after so many years of very few shoujo anime. The re-emergence of titles aimed at women is especially important because it effectively dispels the "sex sells" mantra used to justify only promoting and producing fan service shows for male fans. Even that 2011 HxH anime has been given a second chance at life via the revived Toonami, which has also been a boost for anime.

*I'm still not sure if YOI will make Sayo Yamamoto a household name/director-to-watch for fans or not, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
I recall renting Animatrix quite shortly after it came out, and thinking it wasn't very good, especially as an attempt to bridge the mainstream to anime. Maybe in the same sense as Robot Carnival, which was more an experimental project, but not for The Matrix movie series, even when considered as a shameless ripoff of Ghost in the Shell and another obscure OVA series from the 1980s called Megazone 23.

As long as Neo Yokio doesn't get a second season because of Netflix's deep pockets, we will see more "cool" anime collaborations, along with the conventional becoming even more mainstream. It sure would be something to reminisce about "Anime in the Trump Era" years from now in 2049, ha!

I'm sure Netflix is going to produce another season of that show, Jaden's got nothing but time on his hands to do it and there's plenty of people who apparently already are so enamored by it despite it being awful. In fact the badness probably adds to the charm for them.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anime stopped being cool in terms of the medium.

It's just that trends in Japan, such as the whole moe thing and the constant panty shots and boob shit got tiresome outside of its market.

So you'd even end up with shows whose premise could've caught on well being filled with stuff to pander to said trends.

The one thing the Wachowskis did right with Animatrix was pickign talented directors and allowed them for the most part to write their own things without any interference.

Gotham Knight on the other hand didn't do the same and most was written by American comic book writers, and Gotham Knight wasn't the same cream of the crop set of directors as Animatrix. I'd say only about 1/2 of it was really excellent. The other half being forgetable.

But I'd like to see more anthologies. Stuff like Robot Carnival, Short Peace, Genius Party etc. can do really well.

Anime works best when it goes into sci-fi that the West loves. Animatrix and Blade Runner are great examples and resonate.

Ideally, I'm surprised that Project Itoh isn't getting a bigger kind of push. I think its chances are really good at being successful.

Also we have to give props to American directors like the Wachowskis and Denis Villeneuve who are fans of the medium that helped get this stuff made.

Maybe there will be other chances in the future. Like Nolan can do something to expand Interstellar, or Spielberg doing something for Ready Player One. It's ideal to tie Anime together with a known franchise and allow creative leads to go wild.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
A visual feast, but oh, lawdy: that typically horrific English voice over! My skin is still crawling, days after listening to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2