• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
it's licensed by sentai so I don't really see how Funi would do the dub for it...
also I don't think sentai is really into the simuldubbing game. (might be wrong, i don't pay heaps of attention to dubs)

Yeah, Funi is the only one that simuldubs.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Going to skip UQ Holder!, because I read 14 volumes of Negima before dropping it, and honestly, I can barely remember what happened in those. Ken Akamatsu's traditional romantic comedy (Love Hina) fared much better for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the green death

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't seen the first season and watched Osumatsu-San Season 2, episode 1 on a lark and HOT DAMN!! I had no idea to expect and after watching that I still don't. So good and I haven't found a show that funny in freaking ages. Great animation too that went in so many strange and delightful directions. OK, I think I'm having a fan reaction!
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
Osomatsu-san's second half was amazing! Mimicking so many animation (and live-action!) styles and tropes. I actually didn't make the connection between the Key the Metal Idol designed characters and Your Name--I was too distracted by the outdated designs and trying to come up with an anime circa 1980-95 that had a body switching plot...mixing up tropes with styles to avoid lawsuits was a brilliant move! Wink

Also, anyone who's been to a convention or a Kunokuniya within the past year and a half could tell you that Osomatsu-san products are out of control. How many key chains and phone straps could fans possibly need?! Laughing

Unfortunately, Gintama's always been hit-or-miss for me...
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The opening "recap" of Gintama was a delight, but for me it went downhill from there, with a few laughs sprinkled in. And I can't agree that it looked great, since to my eyes it seemed like there were an awful lot of off-model/wonky shots where that wasn't part of the joke. Is the same studio doing this as last season?

I'm still totally on board for almost anything Gintama throws against the wall, but it just wasn't as funny as I was expecting for a season premiere.

Agreed. I loved the opening recap parodies, but the rest of the episode wan't nearly as funny as I'd hoped. As much as I love Kagura, it was all about Umibouzo & Gin overreacting to her barely existent "love life", which is a joke Gintama's done so many times before: with Shinpachi overreacting to Otae's potential love life, and similar stuff with minor characters (pretty sure they've even done something similar with people suspecting Kagura dating...? Correct me if I'm wrong). Point is, Gintama's done "overprotective parent/sibling," and besides for the focus on Kagura's father, and Shinpachi actually acting as a supportive voice of reason, this plot doesn't bring anything new to the table comedically. Bring back Matsudaira's Golgo 13 parody (in which he spied on, and legit tried to blow up, every guy after his daughter); *that* was fun!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who suspected the art and animation were off, Kagura's eyes looked to big for her head in her first scene...

I loved the ED, though! Who needs a man to get dolled up in a wedding dress, throw a huge party and eat cake? Not the Gintama Ladies! They all looked fantastic!

It's weird to me that people are evaluating the whole season based on the first (incredibly light) 2 days. Don't you know everything good comes out on the weekends? Give it a week, at least! You never know what show that's barely on our radar now will end up blowing us all away! Wink
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
I really liked the weird range of character designs Osomatsu went through in the second part, my favourite was the generic 90s design of Choromatsu and Totoko.
captain_amo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote
Really upset on "THE IDOLM@STER Prologue SideM -Episode of Jupiter-" reviews made by those who didn't understand the world of "THE IDOLM@STER" series. spoiler[It's the bridge between "THE IDOLM@STER MOVIE: Beyond the Brilliant Future!" and "THE IDOLM@STER SideM", the explanation on how Jupiter found their 'salvation',] which hasn't been explained in any IM@S game up till now, so it's obviously not something you can watch before understanding IM@S world setting.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
I just checked out Black Clover, I can tell it's probably gonna divide some people.

My Personal thoughts.

I liked it, Visually it looks really good, crisp yet flowing, it's only the first episode so IDK if it can maintain this high quality but I liked what I saw.

Personally I didn't think Asta was that annoying but I saw a lot of r/anime was not a fan, a little grating sure but not stop watching levels of loud and scratchy. I actually thought in terms of doing a "Loud" character this VA did a good job with it being one of his first roles and Comedy wise I thought the voice played off well with Yuno's,.

I've already read the series so I'm not entirely impartial but as a fan of the manga I liked the anime. I think people are maybe making a bit of a snap judgement and will get used to it in time.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
Black Clover was terrible. It's a mix-and-match of older popular shounen. You have the magic guilds form Fairy Tail, the evil demon inside from Bleach, the original goal of One Piece and an MC with the most annoying traits of Naruto. There is nothing worhtwile in this anime except the fact that Mizuki Nana will voice a charatcer. What a waste.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Black Clover was terrible. It's a mix-and-match of older popular shounen. You have the magic guilds form Fairy Tail, the evil demon inside from Bleach, the original goal of One Piece and an MC with the most annoying traits of Naruto. There is nothing worhtwile in this anime except the fact that Mizuki Nana will voice a charatcer. What a waste.

He wants to become the wizard king to reform his society and get rid of the discrimination of the lower class people. It's not really the same as One Piece.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Edl01 wrote:

UQ Holder was...Fine...Acceptable...I mean it wasn't bad enough for me to dislike it, but also not particularly good enough for me to find it very memorable outside of that one Kizumonogatari scene. If I hear good things I may give it another shot...

i wouldnt go that far. its pretty much what we expected. a series faithful towards the original source materials. but considering this is an akamastu piece, just how faithful will it be is the question. will it be like soul eater & the first negima where its faithful at first but then go completely filler mode afterwards? or will the series be fully loyal to the manga?

whatever the case its definitely gonna be interesting for UQ Holder! especially if Funi is able to license the series for its future english dub version is definitely going to bea real nut to crack.

i mean with laura bailey (evangeline's & ayaka's original va) have pretty much voicing exclusively to only video game roles and those from US cartoons, specifically those marvel series, getting a replacement to do the older and younger versions of yukihimie is gonna be a massive can of worms Funi will have to figure out! not to mention that a majority of the cast (excluding konoka, negi and asuna's VAs) might not even be voicing anymore considering how long its been since a negima series have been dubbed.

and if there is real interest in the series, that will need to be addressed sooner rather than later! ESPECIALLY if their planing to do a simuldub!

Maybe we shouldn´t get UQ Holder at all. If it has non-canon content later on... perfect. Cause its manga it´s just one of those things more entertaining to children but puuuuuuure boredom for anyone else. Oh, sorry you think the manga it´s good? Fine, I´ll be happy if the anime gets worse and unknown so we get better shounens in the future. Anime-only watchers, save yourselves the hassle and don´t watch UQ Holder, you´ll thank me.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
So Black Clover is basically Naruto but with more magic? I'm not really a Naruto fan, so I don't think this will be a hit with me.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
From Nick's Black Clover review
Quote:
His orphan rival Yuno is basically just Sasuke, and no other members of the cast have risen above simple archetypes

I just wanted to address a little bit here. I mean first off it's episdoe one and YUno and Asta are the only real characters so I don't know who else would have risen above an archetype in less then ten minutes of screen time.

Second, Yuno is NOT Sasuke. The only thing that really connects them is that they're rather stoic and have black hair. Sasuke was almost always a dick to Naruto and putting him down, those two had a super toxic relationship that persisted through the whole series. Yuno is not like that, he's practical in telling Asta like it is when it comes to magic but he's far more supportive than Sasuke ever was, the scene at the end exemplifies this, Sasuke would never say something like that.

I mean it's episode one, and in most Shounen all that's for is to establish the main character, the MCs goal and build the world, you can't see much character development outside of someone's general outline as a character.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Black Clover: While the story is more an agglomeration of battle shonen cliches than its own thing, it does look good. If it can give us some of that at least occasionally, I'll keep with it.

While its characters are pretty formulaic, I don't know that Yuno is "basically just Sasuke", beyond the surface level. Sure he is the talented rival character and has black hair, but the comparisons stop there. Yuno never comes off as brooding and he has a much more amicable relationship with Asta than Sasuke has with Naruto, at least at this point in the story. While he calls him his rival, that is more out of having his back than being antagonistic.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying UQ Holder so far and it seems to be improving a bit on the manga's early presentation with more continuity and foreshadowing.

The show I'm most excited for is easily The Ancient Magus's Bride, but hopefully there'll be a few other gems this season!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
Nick Creamer's take on the first episode of Black Clover was pretty much how I felt about the manga's first chapter: Everything is played completely straight and by the book and felt like "Naruto, except instead of ninja, you have mages," and Asta is rather annoying as a protagonist.

I'd rather not be the one to say it, but yes, the manga does get better. It'll be a LONG time though, and by that I mean only in this past month has the manga started becoming more genuine with its characters and thus more relatable. It still plays everything straight, but honestly, we need at least one series like this every now and then. Black Clover is an excellent series for someone to begin reading manga or watching anime from. After all, in order to understand twisting with formulas and tropes, you first have to see them played straight, and because Black Clover does that, it's one of the most accessible manga in Weekly Shonen Jump right now.

Also, while I did think of Yuno as a Sasuke archetype, I realize he isn't: Right from the start, he is way friendlier with Asta than Sasuke ever was to Naruto, and while he may be dark and broody, he has a good heart and wants to do the right thing. and he never sees Asta as inferior.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 37