• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hiro Mashima to be Honored at Harvey Awards at NYCC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
Fairy Tail is awesome. Very Happy
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Damn the amount of salt in here is unreal, FT haters seem so vociferous compared to others. Promised myself I wouldn't respond but so many of these comments get thrown around like fact without substance I kinda had to.

Crystalblade13 wrote:
It HEAVILY distracted me. Like when Lucy was trapped in that big water bubble and she was suffocating. Hard to give a shit when the camera did nothing besides ogle her crotch and tits. Oh no. Lucy. There is certainty some serious tension here. Tension in my pants that is.

So it distracted you, FT had clearly evolved into a series with a rather hefty focus on fan service and as such it fit right in with what happened. It was not distracting unless you go in not expecting fan service which, if you weren't at that point you were reading a different series.

traitorAIZEN wrote:
Many people loved at the beginning myself included. Then to cover up for his lack of talent in battle choreography and writing a good story, he resorts to fanservice to attract horny teenage boys and distract them from the obvious flaws in his work. A very convenient plot armor and broken power levels didn't help much but create false suspense of the moment. Because when you know that any death/crisis can just be solved by nakama/family power or other convoluted reasons, investing any sympathy for the characters is pretty much useless.

If you don't like that FT evovled into a heavy fan service type series that is fine, no one has to like fan service but it was there from the start with Gray, Lucy and the like and only increased. Your other criticisms can be levelled at your fave 'shonen' Naruto but you have chose to ignore them. They are not really present in FT. Plot armor? Maybe but what series doesn't have that? Broke power levels did not exist, it was clearly established that magic power is powered through strong emotions and bonds, hence FTs strength and consistent growth as they grow closer as a guild, not that hard to see. That is the entire basis of their power which haters like yourself seem to ignore to get across your own point.

traitorAIZEN wrote:
It started as a story of magic guilds doing adventurer guild-like work, but then somewhere down the line it completely forgets that setting and end up just becoming beat-up-the-bad-guy story. They barely did any magic guild related jobs aside from the few from the start of the story and the fillers.

Yes because a bigger threat should be ignored for more trivial jobs a guild does, makes sense. Also note how a lot of smaller missions played a big part into new developments.

traitorAIZEN wrote:
Mediocre battle choreography, formulaic story, overuse of plot armor/nakama power, unncessary fanservice overload, and forgetting its roots, how the hell can this be an award-worthy manga & mangaka?

I still believe that Naruto is the best shounen of the big 3 (not 4 because FT was never that big imo) and the one worthy of awards. Yes the anime is full of fillers but if you look at the canon story as a whole, it's a damn great story.

I like how you bring up Naruto (aka Kid Jesus) with that entire trainwreck of a second half with so many of the same issues you direct towards FT. You cannot make that up.

GhostD wrote:
I really loved FT in the beginning and the many arcs that followed but the last few arcs was a turn off because it became predictable and almost no one noteworthy dies despite the intensity of the war arc and the thing with Acnologia. Even the one person who died before the final arc doesnt stay dead. Its another way of keeping characters alive without Dragon balls to revive them and Im certain the plot armor on certain characters speaks for itself.

Don't really see why deaths are that important to people. I'd rather have none than bringing them back to life or killing off people who haven't done anything of note in years (see Naruto second half for both).
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't really see why deaths are that important to people. I'd rather have none than bringing them back to life or killing off people who haven't done anything of note in years (see Naruto second half for both).

Yeah well out of the 4 who died in final arc there was someone who was brought back to life and the other 2 didn't even die fighting in the war itself while the other one made you feel a bit sorry for her because she lived through genuinely hard times in the past. There were others as well but they were so sudden and insignificant that it was quickly forgotten about. The fact that the deaths were limited to only them lessens the intensity, the stakes and the danger everyone was in. At least in Naruto Shippuden especially especially during their war there were quite a few notable deaths none of whom were resurrected so there was a genuine feeling of grief and loss. Yes there was a scene where the countless people who died during Pain's invasion were revived but it was more heartwarming than overdone ala Dragon Ball and not everyone who was killed by Pain was resurrected. In FT when we entered the war arc many fans including myself werent expecting much aside from the formulaic fights intense though some of them were, fan service, usual Nakama speeches and so on. Not even the reveal of Erza's family line surprised many because she's done so many crazy stuff over the years that almost nothing about her surprises anymore. Mashima's writing style becoming predictable and his overuse of Nakama power are what fans are salty about the most. Even Rave Master was more fun and entertaining.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
If any author deserves a award it would be Araki and his 30 years with Jojo.

Yeah I like JoJo but if one of the requisites for getting a Harvey Award is exceptional writing that's definitely not something he'd be deserving of.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Yeah well out of the 4 who died in final arc there was someone who was brought back to life and the other 2 didn't even die fighting in the war itself while the other one made you feel a bit sorry for her because she lived through genuinely hard times in the past. There were others as well but they were so sudden and insignificant that it was quickly forgotten about. The fact that the deaths were limited to only them lessens the intensity, the stakes and the danger everyone was in. At least in Naruto Shippuden especially especially during their war there were quite a few notable deaths none of whom were resurrected so there was a genuine feeling of grief and loss. Yes there was a scene where the countless people who died during Pain's invasion were revived but it was more heartwarming than overdone ala Dragon Ball and not everyone who was killed by Pain was resurrected.

Far more than 4 died, basically half of the Spriggan 12 were wiped out by the end. Only one came back to life in the usual sense but even then it wasn't exactly confirmed that he died, bit like Byakuya in Bleach and his near death in that it could be interpretted either way but never soley confirmed. Bit trollish I admit but yeah. As for the others who met their end they never came back Augusts end was touching, Acnologia met as much as an end as someone of his power could without it being an asspull and Mavis / Zeref was incredibly touching.

I cannot remember any notable deaths during the War in Naruto, like not one and considering how dragged out that was it was surprising. The whole Pain thing beforehand was diluted because of Narutos reaction to him. There were deaths but other than maybe Jiraiya who I didn't particularly care for none were worth caring for.

GhostD wrote:
In FT when we entered the war arc many fans including myself werent expecting much aside from the formulaic fights intense though some of them were, fan service, usual Nakama speeches and so on. Not even the reveal of Erza's family line surprised many because she's done so many crazy stuff over the years that almost nothing about her surprises anymore. Mashima's writing style becoming predictable and his overuse of Nakama power are what fans are salty about the most. Even Rave Master was more fun and entertaining.

The so called 'nakama power' was not overused, as I said it was a core of the series and FTs strength as a guild. It made sense that they powered up over time as their bonds grew stronger. I wouldn't say Hiros writing style became predictable. The War arc had a lot of surprises, I'd argue Erzas family line as well since it seemed she got her major past arc already. Add in all the Zeref storyline wrap ups, the Natsu finale, Augusts identity and more and you've got comprehensive well worked plot threads that were not predictable, maybe to some but I was a big fan and did not see it all coming.

Plus look at the major arcs preceding it, Tartaros had plenty of deaths in it and some incredibly emotional moments where you care for the characters. I genuinely feared for Lucy and Wendy in that. Hiro does not get the credit he does for some of the twists and developments he puts in because people cannot look past the hate. Not all and people are free to hate but they can't make up things like so many do.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Far more than 4 died, basically half of the Spriggan 12 were wiped out by the end. Only one came back to life in the usual sense but even then it wasn't exactly confirmed that he died, bit like Byakuya in Bleach and his near death in that it could be interpretted either way but never soley confirmed. Bit trollish I admit but yeah. As for the others who met their end they never came back Augusts end was touching, Acnologia met as much as an end as someone of his power could without it being an asspull and Mavis / Zeref was incredibly touching.

I cannot remember any notable deaths during the War in Naruto, like not one and considering how dragged out that was it was surprising. The whole Pain thing beforehand was diluted because of Narutos reaction to him. There were deaths but other than maybe Jiraiya who I didn't particularly care for none were worth caring for.

Like I said aside from those 4 the others were so insignificant that they were quickly forgotten. Those 4 I mentioned are the most noteworthy. And Acnologia didn't die he was only sealed away. He was too powerful for anyone to kill so that was literally their only option

No notable deaths in the Naruto war? Really? Neji? Shikamaru and Ino's dads? Madara? Obito? Either you have a poor memory or you didn't watch/read it at all
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
.... wait.

From the actual press release:
Quote:

The reception will also feature Japanese mangaka Hiro Mashima as the Harvey’s International Spotlight guest, in recognition for his renowned work as the creator of Fairy Tail, the long-running manga serial that concluded this year. Original work from both Mashima and Kurtzman will be on display.

It says "International Spotlight Guest". It does not say "Award". The phrasing is different. There's no implication of selection here.

This puts it in a completely different light from ANN's report, and from the commentary on the blog that is ANN's source (which is where I found the press release).

Yeah, I noticed this. He is only being honored, not given an award. Which is whatever? Mashima should at least be commended for working so much in an industry that knocks down artist like dominoes regardless if his actual work is subpar. I can see why people like him since he seems like he has so much passion.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Like I said aside from those 4 the others were so insignificant that they were quickly forgotten. Those 4 I mentioned are the most noteworthy. And Acnologia didn't die he was only sealed away. He was too powerful for anyone to kill so that was literally their only option

No notable deaths in the Naruto war? Really? Neji? Shikamaru and Ino's dads? Madara? Obito? Either you have a poor memory or you didn't watch/read it at all

They weren't insignificant to me, I was fully immersed into the those characters and each death was impactful because of that.

I did read all of Naruto, I wouldn't comment if I didn't. Just like you said the deaths in FT were insignificant to you they are the same to me in Naruto. Neiji did nothing for years, forgot he existed, likewise Shikamarus dad who I also forgot existed. Obito was an atrocity of a character and his death was more a case of about time, wasn't notable because he was such a poor character. Madara was revived then died again so meh I didn't care for after his fight with Kid Jesus.

Were they notable in the grand scheme of things? Sure to some, just like those in FT are but not to me they weren't. To me stuff like that is what makes a poor character death. I have to have modicum of interest, care or attachement in them and I felt nothing for anyone in that series post time skip apart from Narutos parents in the flashback sequence.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Your reasoning is more on your own opinions of the characters. Then again so is mine and everyone else here so in the end this more opinionated than facts driven
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
He's a hard worker and he draws well (cough). But as a story-teller, he's... not very good. Like many writers, he starts out well, but then over time the flaws in his story become increasingly obvious and difficult to work around. FT didn't end very well for example, IMO. He had good characters, but he ran out of ideas when it came to having them grow and do things.

I won't say he doesn't deserve to be honored, but I will say that I wish he could've found a better way to bring FT to a close.
Taifood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
LMFAOOOOOOOOOO Mashima getting honored it must be for worst manga series ever.
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Tarik Loq wrote:
Are you kidding me?

he's created the worst shonen in history and received an award for that?
If i was present at the con, i would literally tell him nyself how bad his fairy trash is.

Yeah sure you would pal.

FT is not the worst shounen ever, it's quite popular, sold a lot of copies and had multiple anime and spinoffs, the award is justified.
Popularity has nothing to do with quality. Fairy Tail is trash and there is TONS of evidence to prove it.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Augusts end was touching,

No it wasn't.

Quote:
Acnologia met as much as an end as someone of his power could without it being an asspull

Except that it was an asspull. Acnologia was essentially an afterthought during the war, so much so that Mashima had Irene spoiler[who is easily one of the most broken characters he has ever created] whisk him away for like fifty chapters.

Quote:
Mavis / Zeref was incredibly touching.

Maybe if you like emotionally abusive relationships then sure, totally touching. That was easily one of the worst subplots about the arc. Because Mashima tried to have his cake an eat it too with "redeeming" Zeref, and retroactively ruined Mavis' character in the process spoiler[not that she had much of one to begin with]

Quote:
The so called 'nakama power' was not overused.

It most definitely was.

Quote:
It made sense that they powered up over time as their bonds grew stronger.

They didn't power up as a guild though. No one progressed character wise save for Natsu's crew and even then the ones that had any interesting development post-Tenrou were Lucy, Wendy, and Gray. Natsu and Erza essentially stagnated with the latter becoming a mary-sue shell of her former self.

And even if you want to argue about the bonds, the guild disbanded for a year and no one kept in contact! How does that equate to a "strong bond" when Lucy needed to make a map like she was in freaking CSI to keep track of people that she had spent so much time with? And let's not even get into the lying Gray and Erza did as well as Natsu just up and leaving without telling anybody to their face. Fairy Tail is probably the worst example of a healthy guild. Hell, Sabertooth did much better than them when Sting took over.

Quote:
The War arc had a lot of surprises, I'd argue Erzas family line as well since it seemed she got her major past arc already. Add in all the Zeref storyline wrap ups, the Natsu finale, Augusts identity and more and you've got comprehensive well worked plot threads that were not predictable,

Nothing "comprehensive" was found in that final arc. He was just doing stuff one after the other and tried to see what would stick. Characters dying and coming back spoiler[Chapter 499/500 was worse than Gloria and drove one final nail in the coffin known as Juvia's character development], characters forgetting their own magic for the sake of drama, new restrictions on spells that didn't have them before spoiler[looking at you Fairy Law], horrible battle choreography in most places, unnecessary cheesecake shots spoiler[(why yes Mashima I would love to see Sorano climaxing while Kagura and Sting are engaged in a life or death battle. Thank you for showing me that.)], villains with unclear/idiotic motivations spoiler[(the entirety of the Spriggan 12 and Zeref)].

It was an all out mess, hampered further by an even messier conclusion. I love FT, I always will, but the second half of the series had some of the laziest, paint-by-numbers story telling I have ever read.

Honestly the moment Natsu one-shotted a literal God I was essentially reading the story on autopilot and was just waiting for it to finish because I knew in that moment that nothing in the series would ever have tension or weight again. [/quote][/spoiler]
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
As someone who only got into Fairy Tail in the past year* (I'm not normally a big shonen fantasy fan, unless the title is written by CLAMP, and this one managed to slip by me for years), I'm still at that phase where I'm still constantly amazed by the vitriol some people have for the series. I'm not going to pretend it's the greatest series out there, but I don't think I've ever been so mad about anything in the world that

Tarik Loq wrote:
If i was present at the con, i would literally tell him nyself how bad his fairy trash is.

would be my reaction. Like, maybe if Fairy Tail killed my dad or something?

* Btw, don't bombard me with "oh man, if you think crap like Fairy Tail is good, you should read ___ instead.", I have dozens upon dozens of manga volumes pre-ordered on AmazonPrime, I don't have the funds available to entertain recommendations from haters.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Still remember well, when his art style has been always compared with Eiichiro Oda and criticized for it when he drew RAVE. Even at the beginning of Fairy Tail you could not deny a similarity of the character designs to those of One Piece. He made great improvements and although I was never a fan of this series I still think he created characters who all have something remarkable, unique and charming. He still have it rough concerning those comparison critics but he ground out the popularity of his series in the best way he could.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
So no ONE who is pretty much the only being who doodled his way up to fame and no Oda who I don't even need to explain *facepalm*
I can only think that Mashima was the only one from numerous authors who dind't refuse this invitation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3