• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club Adds How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Light Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Sounds a bit like Overlord.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I read the first half that JNC uploaded, it's pretty much a worse Overlord.
brynhild

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I wish they would do more non-Isekai / RPG Fantasy-esque licenses. Well, they have 3 more new ones to announce so there's always hope.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
I wish they would do more non-Isekai / RPG Fantasy-esque licenses. Well, they have 3 more new ones to announce so there's always hope.

Don't get your hopes up when it comes to light novels, xD
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
Sam's confirmed that the remaining three are not isekai.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but that's when Takuma's passive ability <<Magic>> activated! Instead, it was the girls who had become enslaved!

Rolling Eyes oh boy, here we go.

Quote:
That's when he makes his choice: to act based on his persona from the game!
“Amazing? But of course... I am Diablo, the being known and feared as the Demon Lord!”

okay gotta admit you have me there. i like character's who act all pompous but are actually dumb nerds.
GhostOfShowsPast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Dracospirit121 wrote:
Sounds a bit like Overlord.

It is similar but more light hearted but it isn't slapstick unlike Overlord only he is summoned not his entire base and it is the same world as the game. I personally enjoy this more as Overload was getting a bit to dark for my tastes as he was doing straight up villain work.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Okay. Again. I really want to learn about how this title got chosen.
But nevertheless, like usual, I'm just thankful for what we've got.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Personally, what I'm most interested in in terms of light novel licenses is for the light novel series of anime series that have already come out and never been finished to be licensed rather than them licensing other properties (good or not) that have never made it to the US before. J-Novel Club is doing that with Demon King Daimou, but most of their stuff seems to be new stuff with no anime ties. That's not all bad by any means, and I'm sure that there are plenty of good series that have not been made into anime, but there are so many anime based on light novels where the only way to get the whole story is to read the actual novels (since they rarely bother to finish the anime adaptation) that what I'd really like is to be able to actually read the rest of those stories, and as such, I'm almost always a bit disappointed when a light novel license announcement is not one that has an anime adaptation - and sadly, there are plenty of anime adaptions (both recent and old) which will likely never be licensed in English.

That being said, at least we're now getting a number of light novels licensed and released in English now. It used to be that that never happened at all. So, things have improved considerably even if we're still often in the boat that the only way to get the whole story for an anime is to be fluent in Japanese and read the original source material in Japanese.

brynhild wrote:

I'm a huge fantasy fan, so I'm generally not unhappy to have fantasy series get licensed, but a weirdly large number of light novel series seem to be set up like RPGs, and a suprisingly large number of fantasy light novels involve traveling to other worlds rather than simply having them take place in another world. Western fantasy does do some of that, but for a long time now, the vast majority of Western fantasy novels just take place in a fantasy world and don't do any of the traveling from the real world mess. But a large chunk of those that do still do the traveling from the real world mess are aimed at a younger audience, and light novels tend to be aimed at a younger audience, so maybe that's part of why so many light novels seem to do it? I don't know. Occasionally, the traveling to another world bit works well, but overall, I'd prefer that they just straight up tell fantasy stories than what they've been doing. They just make it that much worse by making the fantasy world like an RPG. In general though, light novels seem to suffer from trying to do what other successful light novel series have done rather than simply trying to write good stories, and a number of successful series in recent years have involved traveling to other worlds. So, that may be the real root of why so many series are doing that rather than simply telling fantasy stories.

But a number of these world traveling novels do turn out to be pretty good in spite of themselves (Overlord being one; you'd think that it's premise was so ludicrous as to make it terrible, but it works surprisingly well - much as I still think that the premise is ludicrous). So, for better or worse, I'll keep trying them out.

As for this one, I think that the premise of them summoning him and accidentally being bound to him rather than him being bound to them could get interesting. But having him showing up looking like a demon lord and trying to act like one is definitely not the sort of premise that I find appealing. It can work, but I'd much prefer having characters act like themselves and having them be capable and intelligent rather than trying to fake everything. This makes it sound like he's going to be an idiot who's out of his element just going to try and act like he's in a video game in an attempt to cope.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Quote:
but that's when Takuma's passive ability <<Magic>> activated! Instead, it was the girls who had become enslaved!

Rolling Eyes oh boy, here we go.

You might as well take a look at the "Seven Seas Licenses How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Manga" thread, and see if you find the arguments in defense of this particular plot element convincing. Confused
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
if that element bothers anybody it's worth mentioning that the slave thing is only used to force them to befriend each other (so the weird team makes any kind of sense) and for a few ocasional jokes.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

You might as well take a look at the "Seven Seas Licenses How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Manga" thread, and see if you find the arguments in defense of this particular plot element convincing. Confused

It makes me slightly more optimistic, but there are also people saying the series is pretty mean spirited so I'm basically back at square one.
But so long as the whole slave thing isn't like, say, Testament of Sister New Devil level stupid then it gains a point in my books.

I might check it out just to see what Diablo and his social awkwardness is like
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1