Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Made in Abyss Made Us Cry Like Little Babies


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zeino



Joined: 19 May 2017
Posts: 184
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
To be fair there's no malice in what BoneDaddy is doing either.

There was no malice in what the infamous Shou Tucker of Fullmetal Alchemist did to his daughter either but no one cares and they are right too. It's a depraved, unforgivable act regardless and Bondrewd is an utter monster for it, no matter his justifications.


Last edited by Zeino on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kotomikun



Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 367
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
The quality of a thing is directly proportional to the shallowness of attempted criticism...

I was kinda expecting to not like this, since that's usually what happens when a great big hype train gets rolling before I even start watching something; but the first episode completely hooked me. If nothing else, because it actually understood "show, don't tell" and how to do it effectively. So many anime start with a long dull infodump... seeing one that can cram a ton of naturally-occurring worldbuilding and mystery and dramatic irony and so on in one episode, with only a tiny bit of exposition at the very end, was, well, refreshing.

The "curse of the abyss" seems to be inspired by the bends--bizarrely, diving down underwater quickly is generally safe, but going back up too quickly can be rather destructive. (Unless you're a robot.) Much of the abyss in general seems to be loosely based on both the real-life deep ocean--which has some pretty damn weird creatures towards the bottom--and our spooky eldritch mythology about it.

The last episode is definitely... intense, and I probably haven't fully processed it yet. But it's certainly every bit as horrifying and heartbreaking as people are making it sound. I only hope that the hypothetical season 2 doesn't get buried at the bottom of a chasm of horrors, because there are still so goddang many unanswered questions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 357
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
@Mad_Scientist

There be trolls here or please be not feed the troll;or even,please keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times,enjoy your trip through troll country.

And now for something completely different- Made in Abyss,folks should read the manga,the anime adaption is so damn faithful and people are complaining.


@Blanchimont your manga spoilers are a bit spoilerish(new word woot) you could have simply typed manga spoiler[ Prushka ].

That alone should have explained your point to someone whose read past the anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peebs



Joined: 07 Dec 2005
Posts: 330
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch this as it aired because :reasons: and now I'm in tears. Thanks, guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 357
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
I didn't watch this as it aired because :reasons: and now I'm in tears. Thanks, guys.


Binged watched it myself,works best that way for certain stories.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TdFern 87



Joined: 03 Jun 2017
Posts: 75
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
I didn't watch this as it aired because :reasons: and now I'm in tears. Thanks, guys.

You are not the only one I didn't get a chance to watch it too, because so much stuff to deal with and so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G S Palmer



Joined: 02 Oct 2015
Posts: 73
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Peebs wrote:
I didn't watch this as it aired because :reasons: and now I'm in tears. Thanks, guys.

Binged watched it myself,works best that way for certain stories.

I binged it too, and now I feel like getting back into anime (I haven't really watched any in a year or so).

It didn't make me cry, but then again, I don't think any anime has except for the part in School-Live! where they buried Taroumaru.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 357
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
@G S Palmer
What not even Hotaru no Haka/Grave of the Fireflies or even Angel Beats Shocked
(lol)


The manga has not gotten anything in my eyes,but Made in Abyss' anime flicked a little water on my face.And the manga gets rather twisted past where the adaption ended.

Am getting to be an old softie it seems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 13067
Location: Chora's Den
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
And a bunch have been removed. Don't respond to trolls people, just report them and move on. Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 3591
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I've literally exhausted myself mentally, emotionally, and physically thinking and writing about this show already, so all I can do at this point is express how f*cking perfect it is to me.
Comparing it to From the New World is apt. As you might guess from my avatar, that is also a show that had a significant impact on me, and if I look back, that might indeed be the last time I felt so intangibly connected to a piece of fiction. If we don't get a second season, I will be incredibly disappointed. As it is, it's brilliant, but a conclusive second season will put it among the greatest anime I've ever seen. And certainly earn it a spot on my Top 10 list.


The only thing holding Made in Abyss back for me (I still love it though and give it a 9/10 whereas From the New World is a 10/10) is I'm not entirely convinced its writing for the actual story will be as memorable and profound as the rest of the show. Of course this will depend on the manga and how it develops but what made the adaptation so magical was everything but the story. I mean the art, music, setting, animation, voice acting, atmosphere, and directing were all top notch; which in my mind is what elevated the series beyond its story which is honestly is pretty basic and not that compelling. Compare that to From the New World which was the opposite, pretty mediocre art and animation but a story that was downright masterful work.

So we'll see. I reaaaaally hope it gets a season 2 as it desperately needs it. The first season, while almost perfect in execution, could not really crack into my favorites as it is very much unfinished and when looked at as a whole, was a helluva ride that ultimately didn't go very far in terms of actual narrative.


Yeah, that's very fair. I won't fault the show for my experience with it being intrinsically tied to the actual production though. From the music, to the animation, to the backgrounds, it was really something from my dreams. lol (I'm pretty big into animation production, to be fair)
It does feel narratively super unfinished though. As a character piece I am pretty happy with where they are, and it feels satisfying in that regard, but I definitely don't have the same satisfaction that I got from FTNW with its one-of-the-best-of-all-time stories and endings.
I actually do really enjoy the direction of From The New World too, but it's true, the animation and art, while often inspired, did struggle a lot along the way.


kotomikun wrote:

The "curse of the abyss" seems to be inspired by the bends--bizarrely, diving down underwater quickly is generally safe, but going back up too quickly can be rather destructive. (Unless you're a robot.) Much of the abyss in general seems to be loosely based on both the real-life deep ocean--which has some pretty damn weird creatures towards the bottom--and our spooky eldritch mythology about it.


I definitely picked up on that. I was actually not sure if they intended for it to be a literal curse at first, or if it was just a misunderstanding by the people in the area of how air pressure works. I would've been fine with either way, but the explanation Nanachi espoused definitely works for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Yazu13



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 63
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
To be fair there's no malice in what BoneDaddy is doing either.

There was no malice in what the infamous Shou Tucker of Fullmetal Alchemist did to his daughter either but no one cares and they are right too. It's a depraved, unforgivable act regardless and Bondrewd is an utter monster for it, no matter his justifications.


Tucker was visibly insane though, whereas Bondrewd is always jovial and even-tempered. Without spoiling anything, Bondrewd is pretty interesting and definitely deeper than your average "mad scientist" type.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alexandre Martins



Joined: 28 Sep 2017
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I haven't been this sad since Nina in FMA

First thing that came to my mind. I think I only cried this hard after Nina's death in the first (and then second) FMA series. Sure, lots of moving moments in anime, for me, but I really cried like a baby, and when their message balloon stared climbing the Abyss, I was positively bawling.

SPOILER



And to think there's so much more gut-wrenching and soul-twisting horror to come... IF they make a second season, for which I will fervently pray at the shrine of every god I can think of, even though I don't believe in any of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alexandre Martins



Joined: 28 Sep 2017
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
To be fair there's no malice in what BoneDaddy is doing either.

Well, yes, from his point of view. Bu then again, you could say the same about Hannibal. Hannibal thinks what he does is justified because he sees people as just pigs in human clothing (could not resist quoting Satsuki), and sees himself as standing above them. Boudoredo is the same. He believes what he does is justified, but that does not make what he does any less evil.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alexandre Martins



Joined: 28 Sep 2017
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I swear that I haven't felt that sad in an anime in a while. Made in Abyss is, like this piece says, is an absolute miracle and I'm so glad that I got to watch as it aired. I truly hope that more of this series gets made, though I can understand that it will take some time. I'm now planning on showing my support for it by buying the manga that was licensed recently and buying the home video release when it comes out. Just an all out fantastic job by the staff and the author for this work.

It seems they have adapted up half of chapter 25. Since the manga is at chapter 42, there might not be enough material for a second season yet. However, if they just cover the Boudoredo arc (which I think is perfectly possible), that ends at volume 40 or something like that. However, I've heard rumors the series is not doing so well in Japan, so they might not be interested in adapting the manga any further. I find that difficult to believe, though, because my personal "ratings" always matched the Japanese's and, even though I'm no barometer for anything but my personal taste, MiA was a magnificent series, the best fantasy-cum-sci-fi to come up in anime since Shin Sekai Yori, so I think there's a chance of a second cour. I for one will be praying to all the gods I can think of, from Zeus to Anubis and Amaterasu, that a second cour actually gets made, and that author-san does not drag the story too much, so that we can close this jewel of a series with two 26-episde seasons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alexandre Martins



Joined: 28 Sep 2017
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
There were so many great elements of the show, and I pretty much enjoyed every minute of it. Ozen's character and design was probably the biggest highlight, and it left a big impression on me. Her character design was inspiringly good, especially when she dons her full set of armor. I really hope she pops up again later in the story, this time with an opponent that will be tough enough to properly showcase her power. The foundational feeling I'm left with now that it's over though is pretty much the feeling that hooked me in the beginning: a desire to see what's at the bottom of the abyss and to find out what happened to Lyza. Now mixed with some added blood-thirst for Bondrewd. So I hope it gets a second season, and that the mangaka concludes the story well.

My fear is not his concluding the story well, but his concluding the story at all in any foreseeable future. So many manga I'm following have entered this neverending spiral of endless chapters (keep writing for as long as it's successful, then drop it when popularity drops). That's the reason I stopped reading Clamp mangas after the harrowing disappointment of what for me began as their best manga, XXXHolic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Loading next article...