• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Detective Conan Manga Takes 3-Issue Break So Author Can Do Research

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceKirby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Given the nature of the manga, I always joke that Aoyama is going to kill some people to learn new murder methods when I see those "breaks for research" announcements.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
IceKirby wrote:
Given the nature of the manga, I always joke that Aoyama is going to kill some people to learn new murder methods when I see those "breaks for research" announcements.

LOL. Ouch.

Well, given all of the kinds of stuff he deals with in Case Closed / Detective Conan and how much technical detail and accuracy he needs to make it at least semi-believable, it's not exactly surprising that he needs to take breaks for research from time to time. Each of the tankoubon has him talk about one of his favorite novel detectives at the end, and I'm always amazed that not only are there enough novel detectives for him to keep listing more but that he's actually had time to read so many novels given how much time the typical mangaka supposedly spends on drawing manga.
Serinox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Second three issue break this year, in the previous one in June/July Aoyama traveled to Kyoto and prepared for the then upcoming cases around Chapter 1000, this time he is probably busy with preparing stuff for Conan Movie 22 promotion drawings and of course planning the upcoming case and general plot structure.

Btw, we don't actually know if Aoyama is doing research in this time, or if he is merely working as usual, but without a deadline for the next week. The message about research was given literally any time when there an author break Very Happy (except the one time when he stayed in a hospital for four months in 2015)
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Considering how Aoyama used the power of the internet to back Shinichi/Conan into corner, let's see how the next arc is going to happen and how the Black Organization is going to deal with the current rumors. It's very probable that spoiler[Rum] is going to take action soon.

But please, Aoyama-sensei, don't turn spoiler[Rum] into another spoiler[Bourbon]. Last time, it ruined the tension.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Aoyama does these research-gathering hiatuses all the time, and it normally doesn't make the actual news like this (I can't find that it's ever happened before). I mean, there's even a very long-running "Aoyama did the research" meme... that only hardcore DC fans have actually heard of; seriously, this franchise is criminally underexposed in the west. It's not like this is one of those Hunter X Hunter or Berserk hiatuses, or a hiatus due to some life-threatening illness. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Detective Conan popping up from legitimate western anime news outlets more often (or ever, normally only the movies ever get any mention, even though both the manga and anime consistently chart well in Japan, and the anime gets higher ratings in Japan than just about any other show that Crunchyroll simulcasts, passed off and on by One Piece), but I'm still left questioning... why?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
Gotta do research to figure out how to include new modern world tech into Conan.

I mean think about it. Conan has seen several console generations, VHS being phased out for DVD's, Blu-Ray's, the rise of the internet, smart phones and mobile devices.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
I think almost every time a manga-ka taking a break (that isn't health or personal related), there should a HxH jab.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1