• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Summer 2017 Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
... I don't want anime to be original and groundbreaking. That's a no win situation for everyone in trying to sustain it as output. I want it to be good, competent entertainment, where I want things to be original and groundbreaking is film where the genres are more stratified... especially compared to anime where "mechas" and "harems" are just as much genres as "comedy" and "horror" are.

So.... New Games!!, awesome anime series, exactly what I want. Made in Abyss, not what I want.

“new Game!!” “Awesome”.

No offense, but i’m not sure of your standards for anime and manga.

Made in Abyss is entertaining with actual substance as opposed to a more slice of life like New Game.

Then again, you’re the same person who thinks Shin Gojira, the closest we have to a modern take on the 1954 Original, is bad, so I have no idea, either way.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
... I don't want anime to be original and groundbreaking. That's a no win situation for everyone in trying to sustain it as output. I want it to be good, competent entertainment, where I want things to be original and groundbreaking is film where the genres are more stratified... especially compared to anime where "mechas" and "harems" are just as much genres as "comedy" and "horror" are.

So.... New Games!!, awesome anime series, exactly what I want. Made in Abyss, not what I want.

I love that Made in Abyss is now bad, depending on the person, because it is either too groundbreaking and original, or not groundbreaking and original at all. Laughing

Anime can be both groundbreaking/original and also good competent/entertainment. Sometimes in the same dang show, even. Why you would want anime to avoid broadening the audiences it can reach I don't really get... well, that's not entirely true, I guess. I do understand the faction that is terribly worried that anime becoming mainstream will destroy what makes it special. It's wrong(a broader audience increases the amount of variety, in actuality), but I understand.
Anyway, I love anime that is made for otaku as much as the next guy, but like how I'm involuntarily starting to resent the yuri fandom who will attack a show simply for having male characters in it, I am starting to resent the otaku-show-fandom(?) because of how hateful they become when a show doesn't directly target them.
For what it's worth, I think Made in Abyss is very much an otaku show. It's a combination of slice of life and mystery in a way that appeals to all of my nerdy sensibilities(similar to things like Kemono Friends), the characters are exceptionally cute, and as an animation production otaku it makes me drool with excitement with every glorious frame of animation(and those backgrounds!!!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3