• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Konohana Kitan (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
@ Vaisaga - I had a little bit of the same feeling. Mind you, Sakura has made it clear several times that she wants to "play" with Okiku, heh-heh-heh...
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Honestly I was unsatisfied by the ending. Usually these "character feels unappreciated" plots end with them being proved wrong in a bigger fashion. Sure, it's nice of Ren to make Okiku some clothes, but in the end no one actually played with her. Her "no one will notice if I leave" comment was answered by... No one notcing she'd left. It does make me feel for Okiku more but at the same time I'm a bit miffed she didn't get much payoff.

Well, in the episode in which she was introduced the girls played with her initially, but once the curse on her was kind of lifted she was made a member of the staff. It seems natural that the girls don't think of her as a doll to be played with. In the following episodes Okiku seemed more frustrated at being left out of staff activities than anything else.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Honestly I was unsatisfied by the ending. Usually these "character feels unappreciated" plots end with them being proved wrong in a bigger fashion. Sure, it's nice of Ren to make Okiku some clothes, but in the end no one actually played with her. Her "no one will notice if I leave" comment was answered by... No one notcing she'd left. It does make me feel for Okiku more but at the same time I'm a bit miffed she didn't get much payoff.

I can see how you might feel if you thought that was where the story went in terms of Okiku, but I think that you have it backwards, at least from my point of view. Unlike how Okiku's fear was of the little doll, Lily, was being underappreciated, which we saw at the end was false, it was actually the inverse for Okiku, she was the one underappreciating the others.

She thought that how all the girls not being able to give her much time because of work, and their telling her not to go into town by herself was that they did not care about her, that she had no playmate and thus went to find one. She does not even realise the unnecessary part of her quest when she finds she relies on the girls and they offer to give her time when they have it, or she kind of acts a little condescending, like turning down attention from Sakura or taking jabs at Yuzu.

Indeed part of the sadness of the end was in how Okiku never got to be played with by a child, apparently a fulfilling life for a doll. But another aspect was kind of showing to Okuku that fulfilment does not just come from a place a pristine ornament to be admired, or found in hatred against others, and that showing a little bit of patience as well as appreciation for those who might care about them can show some happiness.

The end of the journey was not in everyone else realising how great and that they must appreciate Okiku. But in how she should do the same for them, that it is not like they have thrown her aside. Maybe they won't play with her heartily like a normal little girl (one maybe more), but they did take her in and treated her in a way that is true to themselves and to her. Appreciate the little things in life, even cracks on a doll's body can be evidence of feelings towards them, one day that may come to an end, but is not something to actually feel bitter about.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I can see how you might feel if you thought that was where the story went in terms of Okiku, but I think that you have it backwards, at least from my point of view. Unlike how Okiku's fear was of the little doll, Lily, was being underappreciated, which we saw at the end was false, it was actually the inverse for Okiku, she was the one underappreciating the others.

If that was the intent it still falls a bit flat since we don't really see the other girls try to include Okiku in much. Outside of her introduction episode I don't recall any instances where the others tried to get her involved but she refused (outside of Sakura's attempts at torment). She's mostly been stuck in the background.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
If that was the intent it still falls a bit flat since we don't really see the other girls try to include Okiku in much. Outside of her introduction episode I don't recall any instances where the others tried to get her involved but she refused (outside of Sakura's attempts at torment). She's mostly been stuck in the background.

I think that they try to let Okiku be involved where they can, but there is not much she can do when they are in a situation with really important guests that have the hotel's reputation at risk. Specifically I think this episode had them serving a lot of gods. Okiku can otherwise maybe carry a cup, and I do think that we have occasionally doing as such.

I do think the preferred effect could be that entertain the children of guests, but it may be that she is still not ready for that yet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Totally figured out when they said they would need someone spoiler[hundreds of years old to get Yuzu back, that the red haired girl was Okami from the past]. It totally fit the spoiler[personality of appearing a little abrasive, maybe even strict, but also a caring soft spot, and that as it was happening the goddess would see her as responsible enough to put her in charge of the hot spring thing she was thinking of]. Which is to say that it was good characterisation, and a nice end note for a bit of focus on what would be a cornerstone of the series.

On first appearances I kind of wrote this series off on just the cliché new cute girls anime, that would take easy uncreative part to do what a lot of the other ones do. But there is a number of times that this series really manage to outdo itself with some of its themes, and managing to pull it off in execution. I take it as confirmation that these sort of shows do still have a place and can still pull their weight. It is actually kind of interesting that it had its setting be kind of ambiguous before showing more later, that it kind of had this ownership of the land of Japanese spirits, without it quite nesting on just being the past, and giving a place for this to feel like it belonged. Best shown in what I think was the best episode with the child being told he is awaiting great things.

The show could be cute, before totally springing on something emotional on. To put a connection to another show that did the multiple stories thing with trying to spring some emotional depth while trying to do a slightly divorced from the normal world thing, the previous season's 18if strangely comes to mind. And that I think that this show managed to pull of something that the other show could not where it tried being really creative, this one focused on solid consistent character writing, and setting up moods that sort of let your guard down, with still being able to rely on some pretty easy humour. Maybe even works better that there feels like this whole stretch of unsaid character that makes the setting fill lived in. Especially towards the end we got hints of how Okami fits in, I also picked out that the beauty in the last episode was Okami when she started reacting to the other guests.

Rating this show, in general I feel like a Good (7/10), with some particularly good episodes that really make me want to push it up a point. Actually feels hard to choose here that I would probably be a case where I would say 7.5, something not on the scale for ANN. To break the tie I think I will put aside to just go by what it means as someone who watches a lot of these cute girls show, and for those of us that enjoy them, I think it might even become one that shouldn't be missed. I will instead rest on Very good (8/10), maybe not every episode will live up to that mark, but some can be surprisingly effective.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2