• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Third Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I guess I don't get what the big deal is about "The Reveal" that has everyone so up in arms about its placement. It's not like the audience hasn't known this all along. It was interesting to see the Nakiris react to it, but it's been long overdue for Erina to realize it, and that alone made it just feel like "about time" rather than OMGWTFBBQ!!1!.

Has it been explained in the anime why Jouichirou attended school as Saiba instead of Yukihira, or where the Yukihira name came from if it's not his birth name? I tend to forget such things over the years a series takes to unfold. Smile
Leftfield

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice analysis.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
I knew they would keep the reveal for last but the impact was clearly weakened because of its execution by inserting the ending theme and cutting between the usual ending animation sequences and the current scenes in addition to making Erina's reaction less dramatic and comedic. This could have easily been the highlight of the first cour but its execution dampened it

Yeah, the back half of this cour was extremely sloppy, which is disappointing because there were a lot of good scenes to depict. The conversation with Azami should have taken at least half of an episode, instead we got a speed montage of one-liner revelations and reaction faces.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Has it been explained in the anime why Jouichirou attended school as Saiba instead of Yukihira, or where the Yukihira name came from if it's not his birth name? I tend to forget such things over the years a series takes to unfold. Smile

He simply took his wife's name, similar to Azami taking the Nakiri name when he married into the family. Because I'm inviting the question by making the comparison, I'll just preclude it and say that I don't think to-date we've learned anything about Souma's mom, so I doubt Yukihira is some famous cooking/yakuza family. :v
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess I don't get what the big deal is about "The Reveal" that has everyone so up in arms about its placement. It's not like the audience hasn't known this all along. It was interesting to see the Nakiris react to it, but it's been long overdue for Erina to realize it, and that alone made it just feel like "about time" rather than OMGWTFBBQ!!1!.

Yeah you dont get it because the thrill about the reveal isnt about the revelation of who Soma's dad is but rather Erina's reaction to it. Dont forget that before Azami came back Erina always antagonized Soma unfairly and then we learn that Erina knew Jou when she was a kid so naturally that caused fans to get excited about how she would react if/when she knew the truth. When it happened, manga showed her remembering the many times she looked down on Soma while the news quickly sunk in and almost caused her to faint which was funny but it could have been better. And the anime skipped a scene where Erina and Azami are both surprised when they learn that the other knew Jou. Here all she does is act surprised and thats it and then Azami leaves after his declaration.

Some may say its overdue but if you look at all the previous arcs leading up to this there was never really any chance to make that reveal before Azami came back. Dont forget that only the Polar Star guys know who Jou is and before Erina started living there the only ones she only ever spoke to aside from Soma are Ishiki and Megumi and the topic of Jou never came up except a brief mention but not by his name.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
^ Basically it's more about "how" than "when." As far as "when," the anime worked fine, and it makes sense to have saved it for this point. "How," as GhostD said, made it feel a little lackluster in comparison. But if you're not a manga reader, I think it worked fine.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Yeah you dont get it because the thrill about the reveal isnt about the revelation of who Soma's dad is but rather Erina's reaction to it. Dont forget that before Azami came back Erina always antagonized Soma unfairly and then we learn that Erina knew Jou when she was a kid so naturally that caused fans to get excited about how she would react if/when she knew the truth.

But we got their reaction to the news (and a series of flashback images, which saved them from rehashing all those old scenes again), so I can't imagine it leaving any bigger impact crater if it came a couple episodes earlier. The only thing that really detracted from it was continuing to play the ED song behind the final scenes, which admittedly killed a bit of the drama. It was that music playing headlong towards its conclusion that made it all feel rushed, rather than what anyone said or did, or didn't say or do. (trying reviewing that scene on mute and see if it doesn't feel totally different)

Since Erina has treated Soma like crap throughout the entire series, it's kind of hard to forget that, and we learned quite some time ago (2nd season? 1st?) that Erina knew and idolized Jouichirou. The only reason there was never really any chance to make that reveal earlier is because the author didn't want to make it earlier. There were lots of places he could have organically set things up to reveal it sooner if he'd chosen to. It's fine that he waited until now, but he almost dangled that shoe for too long.

But yeah, I do get it. It wasn't done exactly like the manga, so it's bad.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But yeah, I do get it. It wasn't done exactly like the manga, so it's bad.

That's not really what we're saying. Imagine if any of the shokugekis were portrayed in that slipshod method, just a second for each frame and characters gasping and pointing at each other in fast-forward. It's simply a disservice to the plot to rush through an important scene.

There's also the fact that this scene was much more impactful at the point it originally occurred, which is right after Souma defeated Eizan and they were celebrating. It's a declaration of war, where the first move was the match fixing - Azami was letting them know that they may have countered one of his moves, but there were more to come, such as Isshiki removed from the Elite Ten and Central's strong chefs aside from the Elite Ten who dominate the club-busting matches. Having him show up after his first plan is foiled by Souma to meet the kid formally makes sense, whereas waiting until after Ryou, Megumi, and Ikumi all win to then meet Souma is just kind of weird timing.

Basically, this was a rather involved, memorable, and entertaining scene that also had a lot of foreshadowing, so manga fans were looking forward to seeing it all animated, that's why it's disappointing that it got cut down and slapped on at the end.
Crext

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Time to rise up and beat them evil food communists this time around! Mina-san, Retsu goooo
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
Time to rise up and beat them evil food communists this time around! Mina-san, Retsu goooo

Theres a separate page for the 2nd cour you know. Rebecca will likely post her reviews there
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Crext wrote:

Theres a separate page for the 2nd cour you know. Rebecca will likely post her reviews there

Nope, this is the thread! Review's already posted.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:

Nope, this is the thread! Review's already posted.

Oh. But why make a separate info page for the second cour seeing as this is still the 3rd season? Since we're reusing the same discussion page why not just post the reviews in the first cour's page or is there really such a difference

And Im surprised Rebecca didn't mention anything about the foodgasm and fan service
Mojave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I was actually surprised at how effectively the episode was able to use less-blatant fanservice. Erina in her nightgown in Soma's room may have been the most effective bit of fanservice in the entire series so far. Was pleasantly surprised to see that they could successfully pull off more subtle fanservice. Of course, that may also be because the episode as a whole did a good job of humanizing and demystifying Erina as a character, and that bit of fanservice actually helped it to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how far this arc will go, I actually stopped reading the manga part way through the upcoming arc cause I wanted to be able to binge it all at once later on, and also in the hopes that the anime would catch up so I could enjoy it without spoilers, however as I don't know how far the anime is going to get it's sort of up in the air. Anyway, looking forward to this series returning.

One thing I have found interesting is that the author, even though he has done a ton of high quality hentai works, has never done a doujin of this series. Maybe he'll do one after the series is over and we have official ships that are canon.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I'm curious as to how far this arc will go, I actually stopped reading the manga part way through the upcoming arc cause I wanted to be able to binge it all at once later on, and also in the hopes that the anime would catch up so I could enjoy it without spoilers, however as I don't know how far the anime is going to get it's sort of up in the air. .

Judging solely by the visuals in the new OP,spoiler[ this new season could very well be adapting everything up to where the manga is now. Seriously almost everything up to the latest chapters makes an appearance in the opening animation. My current theory is the anime's planning to adapt the remainder of the manga, and that it might very well be heading towards the end of the series in both mediums.]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Could they really fit all of that into one season though? The first episode covered chapters 170-171 in the manga. The manga is up to chapter 258 right now, meaning there are 87 chapters in the manga left to be adapted (and that's just what is out right now, the series isn't over). Unless they speed through it extremely quickly, either skipping or skimming over a lot of events I don't see how they could fit it into a single season. And I don't see it announced for any upcoming seasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10