• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Ghoul:re Manga Gets Anime in 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh god. Here comes Studio Pierrot ruining another season of Tokyo Ghoul lmao. Root A was such a bad adaptation and cluster fudge. I feel bad for anime-only people who's gonna get seriously confused by this...welp just gotta wait and see how many episodes this season is gonna get..
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
well this is interesting to say the least.
Theyre definitely gonna have to do some sort of retconning given that in root A spoiler[hide was confirmed dead] but in the manga spoiler[he or rather a masked person identified himself as hide much later in the story].
yeah thats a pretty big deal that has to be addressed in some way

Also I wonder if this is sorta timed with the fact that the caption at the end of last weeks TG:re chapter says the next issue will be the spoiler[end credits]
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I don't understand what the appeal of Tokyo Ghoul in the first place is suppose to be.

Everyone keeps going on about how Root A sucked, but even the first part never quite clicked with me. The show's nature and tone doesn't really do it any favors for me personally. When you go from one grim-dark/uber-gory show to the next from Attack on Titan season 1 to Akame Ga Kill to Parasyte to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, one after another, it made it really hard for me to accept this show for what it was trying to be from the beginning. It certainly didn't help either that this was the show that replaced One Piece on Toonami.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't even care if they foolow RootA or ignore it and just adapt the RE manga. More Tokyo Ghoul is always good.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
WOW I feel bad for this...

And not because I like the manga and want to see a good adaptation of this. The first anime season was an adaptation of almost the first 100 chapters of TG and it was bad. The manga is bad beause it thinks is a smart series for adults with foreshadowing and oooh symbolism, but it´s yet another piece of cowshit edgy shonen.

What´s even worse is that the "fanbase" thinks the manga is good, but it´s just as bad as the anime, and you ask that fanbase what makes the manga good in the first place, and they only answer you: "oooooooohh the foreshadowing, and the symbolism" instead of giving an example of the supposed good writing this thing has.

I expect this season to be a bad adaptation so that we get less garbage like this and maybe one day Naoki Urasawa or any of those manga legends gets an anime adaptation. Or do you fan of TG wanna help me and others and give a good example of how good the manga is? I don´t want a "but go and read the manga yourself" type of answer.
navycherub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
As one of the ~12 people who actually adores Root A, I hope this is a continuation of that instead of a direct adaptation of the manga.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I like how so many people blame the studio for screwing up their beloved Tokyo Ghoul all while the Ishida(the original mangaka) literally sat down and wrote an alternate take on the manga events specifically for the TV series. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at him, not the studio.
Whatever, I kinda liked Root A.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I like how so many people blame the studio for screwing up their beloved Tokyo Ghoul all while the Ishida(the original mangaka) literally sat down and wrote an alternate take on the manga events specifically for the TV series. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at him, not the studio.

From what i hear, Ishida made a script for season 2 and Pierrot trashed it. Then gave us Root A.
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

From what i hear, Ishida made a script for season 2 and Pierrot trashed it. Then gave us Root A.

That's what I've heard as well. He made a whole alternate timeline, but Pierrot wanted to shove in certain scenes from the manga.
Joa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Part of Ishida's Root A draft was published a while ago and it's pretty different from the anime. I don't think I'm allowed to post links to the draft here since it was sold as a commercial product, but you can easily find it yourself online.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
andyos wrote:
This is pure speculation, but Blue Exorcist Kyoto Arc set a precedent for 'rewinding' an anime back to where it diverged from the source manga and starting again fresh from that point. So one option would be to present this as a direct sequel to the first Ghoul anime season, carrying on from its last episode, and ignore Root A.

but that doesn't make sense though. if it was that easy, then other series like the 2003 version of FMA , soul eater , claymore , akame ga kill and others would have done that instead of doing the whole original anime ending route.

also the real question is where the ep would start? since some parts of root a didn't occur in the manga at all and it looked like they mixed some original anime elements with parts from the source materials. the only way I can see this working is that they like have an ep 0 OVA special retelling the events of root a, but where its more faithful to the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
Please imagine this -

All in one season:
Attack on Titan S3
My Hero Academia S3
A Certain Magical Index S3
Sword Art Online S3
Code Geass S3: Revival of Lelouch
Tokyo Ghoul: Re

(+Other sequels: FLCL 2 & 3, Encouragement of Climb S3, B-Project S2, Saiki Kusou S2, Full Metal Panic IV)

Doubt this will actually happen, but still!

Then that might be 1 of the best anime seasons this decade.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Knights of Sidonia 3

Oh yeah, I almost forgot reading that we finally got a tease about that.
Hope it's not too far off.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
If this is gonna receive the same treatment as the prequel it will probably called Tokyo Ghoul Re:Shit...
Hope this gets Ao no Exorcist treatment though. Original shitty content of the prequel swept under the rug like nothing happened and an actually good sequel.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
I feel like I don't understand what the appeal of Tokyo Ghoul in the first place is suppose to be.

Everyone keeps going on about how Root A sucked, but even the first part never quite clicked with me. The show's nature and tone doesn't really do it any favors for me personally. When you go from one grim-dark/uber-gory show to the next from Attack on Titan season 1 to Akame Ga Kill to Parasyte to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, one after another, it made it really hard for me to accept this show for what it was trying to be from the beginning. It certainly didn't help either that this was the show that replaced One Piece on Toonami.

Yep, not going to really get over Toonami placing this in One Piece's place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4