• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blade Runner's Unbelievable Influence On Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
My prediction is that Blade Runner 2049 will come and go quickly. It's like Tron Legacy -- who really asked for a sequel to the original TRON or BR to begin with?

Yeah, it'll go quickly, only because based on the box office people are missing out on one of the best movies of the year. It's exactly what a sequel should have been and doesn't disrespect the original at all (which is ironic since Ridley Scott himself had a far less impressive attempt with Alien: Covenant this year) and it should at least get Oscar noms for Best Picture, Directing and Cinematography. I mean, just the fact that Denis Villeneuve was the director should have been indication enough that this sequel could turn out great (and IMHO lo and behold, it did and then some) but I guess some people just won't give things a chance.

Also, are we really putting the first TRON on a pedestal? Sure, its special effects were impressive for its time, but the story and characters were thin and the acting was unremarkable save for Jeff Bridges obviously. Legacy at least worked harder at character development.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Also, are we really putting the first TRON on a pedestal? Sure, its special effects were impressive for its time, but the story and characters were thin and the acting was unremarkable save for Jeff Bridges obviously. Legacy at least worked harder at character development.

If you've never put the first Tron on a pedestal before, the utterly humorless and reverential Legacy will make you want to PUT the original on a pedestal, not just for Bridges, but for its being able to explore computer-geek humor ten or twelve years ahead of its time.
Fans wanted to live down a generation of cheap decade and Simpsons jokes, but there's such a thing as being too earnest.

Blade Runner 1982 gets put on a pedestal mostly for the visuals, and for the fact it was only the second Ridley Scott film most people had ever seen before (assuming everyone started with "Alien" and not "The Duelists"), and before the general complaint of "Muddled storytelling" set in. Mostly after Blade Runner.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Rob Krol wrote:
hm but where is Armitage on this list im almost sure that is a lot of Blade Runner reference in this anime ?!

You're right!

That's another that definitely references Blade Runner in some way.

Well, if the predicted box office gross is correct then it really looks Blade Runner has a greater impact on the ARTISTIC community than the film-going audience!
They say it's on track to under-perform... Honestly, NOBODY was asking for a sequel to the original film!
I was hearing $50million for the weekend but it may be less... That's NOT huge for a major motion picture that probably cost around $140 million MINIMUM to make. These films have to literally make a half-billion dollars or more to break even sometimes.

Well, the audience isn't going but Blade Runner will inevitably continue to be referenced as a source for the bleak outlook of the future in other live-action science fiction movies and anime. That's really its legacy more than anything else.

It's certainly not in my Top 10 list of movies...

And BEFORE Blade Runner, there was the original silent German science fiction movie Metropolis (1927) which also begat a Tezuka manga (194x) based around that film's major films which led to the anime feature, Metropolis (2001). The latter film is NOT a direct remake of the 1927 original but it definitely borrows a lot of the major themes and subplots with a smattering of some visual influences but is otherwise its own entity.

So, the original Metropolis (1927) probably influenced Blade Runner (1982) and it DEFINITELY had influences on Star Wars (1977). Ralph McQuarrie's original designs for C-3PO were influenced by the look of the robot Maria in the silent movie, Metropolis.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
It's pretty incredible how much impact late-70s/early-80s Western scifi movies had on anime. Along with Blade Runner, you can also see pretty clear influence from Star Wars, Alien, and Road Warrior. Maybe throw in Robocop, too.

The only two Robocop influenced things from anime I've seen was the third episode of AD Police and 8 Man After even though yes 8 Man did come before Robocop so I guess it's backwards but pretty much that OVA series did so much ripping off of Robocop proper. It literally took the crime ridden streets of Detroit and transferred it to Japan.
Brand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
I swear that Roujin Z name drops the Tyrell Corporation at one point but it has been years since I watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow a lot of sci-fi films seem to have a huge impact and influence on anime later down the road especially anime from late 1980s to mid 1990s. Especially not just Blade Runner but also Scanners, Alien, and Terminator.
kamiikazeheart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Another anime/manga series that I believe was also heavily influenced by Blade Runner was Silent Mobius.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Yep. I've never seen 'Blade Runner' in my entire life. I may have to watch it now. For many years when I was in HS, when anime was a niche subject people conversed about because someone you knew, knew someone that would run a tape off for you to watch. My very first exposure to newer anime (I'm not counting my exposure during the Speed Racer days or BoTP days or the Starblazer days) was BGC. That has always held a special place in my heart during my HS years, my love for the older anime shows of the mid to late 80's and 90's. BGC was always my go to for nostalgia. I would hear people mention that it was inspired by 'Blade Runner'. A series that not only combined 'Blade Runner', but 'Streets of Fire'. And to this day it spawned an entire universe that still if tapped could tell even more stories.

And look at much of the movies that we came out years later. We got Aliens, Robocop, Terminator and more. Hell even 'Fifth Element' which came years later.

I remember in my cartooning class our teacher asked us to do a theme. You had to pick 3 things that had something in common. I made a small banner of 'Robocop', 'Terminator' and a 'Boomer'. My theme was cyborgs. Of course no one would have known what the 'Boomer' was or where it came from.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
in the pre-DBZ area, American movies inspired animes, games and other films (Bladerunner, Alien, Predator, Mad max, Rambo, Robo cop, ...,)

than in 90' Hollywood kind of lost its great ispirations..., but with DBzZ and animes/mangas, there were new inspirations (lodos war inspiring the dark visuals of lord of the rings movies, dbz and bullet times games inspiring the matrix, what Naruto has inspired is a long list..., same as some games like Masd effect)

tltr: back in the pre-90s, great visual visions came from the wes and its movies.., post-90s till late 2000s from animes and games (where a boom was)

back to Bladerunner, its one if the most influential movies ever and possibly has the best film soundtrack ever...

but Bladerunner 2049 disappointed... 35 years after the original, weve been spoiled with other cyber punk / si-fi Movies (matrix, minority report, stranger days...), Games (Deus Ex human revolution & mankind devided, Mass effect, shadowhunter...), Animes/Mangas (Akira, Battle Angel Alita, etc..)..., that B2049 just aint that great, ..it could have been "good/very good" IF they had put more effort in the visual landscapes (most modern Games out shine it), more effort in the soundtrack (felt like overtuned fragments of the original tracks), more effort in Gosslings & Leto's performances. etc..., B2049 was a let down..., imo Prometheus was a better reboot/se-/prequel..

maybe im just a too big fan of the original and have been spoiled too much by other cyber punk / si-fi media over the years...

and see CD Project Red's coming cyber -punk game stomp B2049 in the ground.., cause they will for sure have a vision for their project
, unlike B2049, it felt visionless..
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
You should point out that widescreen TV's were in Blade runner as well.

You are preaching to the choir Daryl. Ridley Scott is one of the greatest. Phillip K Dick is also a great Sci-Fi writer. Blade Runner is all part of why I'm even here in the first place. In the hardcore fantasy world of Tolkien brought to life through Gygax's pen and paper games, I was always one for the sci-fi setting more. Cyberpunk they called it. When you combine that with Japanese animation, there were many fan gateways back then.

Metropolis sucked back then, you saying less noise will make it better? I'll look around for that UK copy then. Blood will tell was one of the only Tezuka titles that made me go back, during the time when Anime SOLs had Dorobo, Metropolis was just bad.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Also, are we really putting the first TRON on a pedestal? Sure, its special effects were impressive for its time,...
If you've never put the first Tron on a pedestal before, the utterly humorless and reverential Legacy will make you want to PUT the original on a pedestal, not just for Bridges,...Blade Runner 1982 gets put on a pedestal mostly for the visuals,..
As I've said of your comments before, hear, hear! What made Tron utterly innovative was the attempt to visually portray software and what it does using as much CGI as "mainframe computers" (look that up!) could reasonably manage in 1981. What killed Legacy for me was that with ~30 years of advancement in CGI and software what we got was an overwrought pseudo-philosophical tale done with actually sub-standard graphics adding nothing to the original concepts. GiTS had a much better representation of the cyber world.

Yes, Blade Runner was a stand-out both for striking and innovative visuals mixing CGI/"matte" effects and amazing set decoration (J.F. Sebastian's apartment for starters!) and film technique that succeeded in projecting a strong "film-nior" feel. I still can't get over that the Oscar that year went to E.T. for visual effects and Ghandi for decoration...

A little nit- I believe most posters agree that "Western" Sci-Fi has had a big historical influence on Sci-Fi Anime but I believe that is where it ends, Blade Runner didn't influence the bulk of anime in general.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
It's pretty incredible how much impact late-70s/early-80s Western scifi movies had on anime. Along with Blade Runner, you can also see pretty clear influence from Star Wars, Alien, and Road Warrior. Maybe throw in Robocop, too.

And Streets of Fire! Don't forget Streets of Fire.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Did they repost this article because of the recent announcement that Blade Runner will be getting an anime produced by Adult Swim and Crunchyroll?
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Conversely, you can see the influences of Space Battleship Yamato and Atragon on Blade Runner.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
^^ Hey, Hey who is that erudite poster a couple up from here?? Also, I watched BR when it came out in theaters and instantly loved it, still an ultra-classic and gratifying that the critics have caught up on this. Yes, Rachael was Jojo before he/she was cool but hard to infer that the latter came from the former as the style predated both by decades...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3