• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super Part One Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:21 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
That said, I don't think I'm that interested in purchasing the opening two arcs, since I already have Battle of Gods and Resurrection F on Blu-Ray. I will say, though, that I enjoy some of the little moments here and there, like Mr. Satan's interactions with Buu, Goten wanting a gift for Videl, Roshi suddenly appearing to discuss Goku's money windfall, and Vegeta keeping his promise to lil' Trunks that he made back in the Buu arc.

Which gave us one of the best episodes of Super. Laughing

Quote:
I think if I begin collecting this, I'll do it once the Champa tournament and Goku Black arcs are rolled out. In the meantime, I'm watching the new material streaming on Crunchyroll and the English dub as it airs on Toonami.

Same, if I get the first two arcs, it'll be when they do a Season 1 (or Collection 1) set but I'll start buying when Part 3 is out as that's where the Champa.arc begins (and sadly where the Freeza arc ends with it's last episode in there).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Edit: Also it's nice to see there are other people enjoying Super on here. It's exhausting trying to defend it against people who act like it's the worst thing to happen to the DB fanchise. Obviously I disagree because it got me back into the DB world in a way I never would have expected .

There will always be the hardcore fans and childhood fans who will oppose anything new added to whatever it is they're a fan of, especially if it's been a while since there has been anything new (causing the 50-foot-backyard-slide nostalgia, which in turns causes unattainable expectations). Dragon Ball happens to fulfill both childhood nostalgia and geek nostalgia, so it's pretty vulnerable to this.

I wouldn't complain if something new was added or, Kami help us, done with it but if you can't build forward, build sideways.... and backward. Super is like if GT had input from Toriyama so it has to be good. I mean of course it's good, I mean it's as good as DBZ was... as Dragonball maybe... as long as you aim for silly adventure hijinks and not go for the "save the world, multi-universal tournament" stall tactic...

Oh right.

It's been done, it's been done to death, wished back to life by the dragon only to be killed again. What's the term, zombie franchise right?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Edit: Also it's nice to see there are other people enjoying Super on here. It's exhausting trying to defend it against people who act like it's the worst thing to happen to the DB fanchise. Obviously I disagree because it got me back into the DB world in a way I never would have expected .

There will always be the hardcore fans and childhood fans who will oppose anything new added to whatever it is they're a fan of, especially if it's been a while since there has been anything new (causing the 50-foot-backyard-slide nostalgia, which in turns causes unattainable expectations). Dragon Ball happens to fulfill both childhood nostalgia and geek nostalgia, so it's pretty vulnerable to this.

I wouldn't complain if something new was added or, Kami help us, done with it but if you can't build forward, build sideways.... and backward. Super is like if GT had input from Toriyama so it has to be good. I mean of course it's good, I mean it's as good as DBZ was... as Dragonball maybe... as long as you aim for silly adventure hijinks and not go for the "save the world, multi-universal tournament" stall tactic...

Oh right.

It's been done, it's been done to death, wished back to life by the dragon only to be killed again. What's the term, zombie franchise right?

You don't like it & that's fine. I don't really care but why people still watch the series after 100+ episodes and complain about it I don't get it. The whole I am waiting for it to get better is just ridiculous. If people don't like it at this point they probably are not going to suddenly discover their opinion has changed after 100 more episodes.

For me there is plenty new and plenty to enjoy. And yes I do love the slice of life and comedy mixed with the action and more dramamtic moments that Super brings. No it's not high drama but that's not really what I am looking for when it comes to Dragon Ball. But to each their own.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Super is a great show that adds some all-time classic stories to the Dragon Ball canon...eventually. You've go to make it through one so-so arc and one painfully boring one to get to the good stuff, but if you're a fan, it's absolutely worth it. Starting from the third storyline onward, Super becomes a gem, and one of the most fun shonen series to come along since, well, Dragon Ball Z.

Well basically you have to get through recapping two movies for people who didn't go see them though they do change some things from the movie to the Super arc version. I think Resurrection F suffers from this changing between the movie and the TV show version of events the most. It also comes across as the worst in terms of translation as a TV show apparently.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Oh right.

GT was rather focused more on Goku and Pan rather than anyone else, and it no it was really different than Super. Super at least focuses on more characters than GT ever thought of doing. GT also focused more on trying and failing at reliving the old Dragonball show by making Goku a kid again. Super tries to continue DBZ and adding to the universe while yes it relives some of it's glory days with Frieza coming back and but it really doesn't seem desperate about it like GT was.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Pretty much similar to how I feel, the first two arcs of Super are OK but the theatrical versions of them are better. It is certainly better than GT's first arc which was an agonizing planet hopping adventure that tries to be DragonBall with Goku, Pan and Trunks before they brought Baby into the show. And no, while the Baby arc was a little better it was still pretty awful.

i wouldnt go THAT far. while the baby arc was mediocre , it wasnt THAT awful at all. now if you were talking about the super android 17 arc , then you have me.

the only good arc was the shadow dragon arc. though it would have been more interesting if they had allowed both GT pan and GT trunks to be SS4 instead of just only goku and vegetta. and unfortunately in super, it starting to look like it will be the same paste, copy , repeat scenario when it comes to the SSG powers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
While the idea of redoing the movies as TV-arcs so that people who missed them would still be able to follow the story, the execution here in the first arc is nothing short of abysmal. I mean seriously, the movie is roughly the length of five episodes, yet this televised version which is over twice that long actually manages to have less story in it, and its way to get around that is to just stretch out what's left way past its breaking point. Don't believe me? Well just off the top of my head...
spoiler[-The movie actually explains Pilaf and his croonies, and why they are suddenly kids again. They also contribute with the other cast more and end up getting dangerously close to setting Beerus off. In the show, they're just... there, and the show does absolutely nothing with them other than repeating the same one gag (THEY'RE HUNGRY!!!) over and over.

-The movie features Vegeta being forced to make an utter fool of himself to keep Beerus happy. The show actually manages to foreshadow this moment with the crowd encouraging him to come up on the stage and dance in episode 2, yet the actual moment of him dancing for Beerus is completely gone, replaced instead with him... making takoyaki. Hardly "casting aside his pride", is it?

-When they ask Shenlong about the Super Saiyan God, in the movie he gives some lore about where the form came from and why it was forgotten, weaving in the explanation for how they can form one in said backstory. In the show it's just "Do this. k bye."

-Throughout the battle between Goku and Beerus in the movie, Goku makes it abundantly clear that he feels like getting his new form the way he did was cheating and it's incredibly frustrating to him that this was the only way he could fight Beerus. In the show, he spends the entire battle just being all "YAY EPIC FIGHT!"]

And for all of those omissions, what exactly did the show add? A change of location? Which incidentally also made the battle less interesting to watch because the constant location-changes from the movie were gone and basically the entire fight takes place in the atmosphere. I mean, I do actually enjoy the end of the fight (which is not on this set, go figure) but leading up to that it was just an absolute snore, especially compared to the fast-paced battle from the movie.

There are some who would say that the adaptation of Resurrection F was even worse, but from where I'm standing... at least that one didn't remove plot-points, so at the very least it reaches the baseline of covering the relevant details from the film. The Beerus-arc couldn't even do that.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
Pretty much similar to how I feel, the first two arcs of Super are OK but the theatrical versions of them are better. It is certainly better than GT's first arc which was an agonizing planet hopping adventure that tries to be DragonBall with Goku, Pan and Trunks before they brought Baby into the show. And no, while the Baby arc was a little better it was still pretty awful.

i wouldnt go THAT far. while the baby arc was mediocre , it wasnt THAT awful at all. now if you were talking about the super android 17 arc , then you have me.

the only good arc was the shadow dragon arc. though it would have been more interesting if they had allowed both GT pan and GT trunks to be SS4 instead of just only goku and vegetta. and unfortunately in super, it starting to look like it will be the same paste, copy , repeat scenario when it comes to the SSG powers.

I have to admit I'm being really hard on the Baby arc at this point. But the fact it feels hard to believe any alien parasite could invade and control Vegeta after even sorcery can't make Babidi control him. Though I know I guess he was out of practice in GT or Baby did it differently.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
While the idea of redoing the movies as TV-arcs so that people who missed them would still be able to follow the story, the execution here in the first arc is nothing short of abysmal. I mean seriously, the movie is roughly the length of five episodes, yet this televised version which is over twice that long actually manages to have less story in it, and its way to get around that is to just stretch out what's left way past its breaking point. Don't believe me? Well just off the top of my head...
spoiler[-The movie actually explains Pilaf and his croonies, and why they are suddenly kids again. They also contribute with the other cast more and end up getting dangerously close to setting Beerus off. In the show, they're just... there, and the show does absolutely nothing with them other than repeating the same one gag (THEY'RE HUNGRY!!!) over and over.

-The movie features Vegeta being forced to make an utter fool of himself to keep Beerus happy. The show actually manages to foreshadow this moment with the crowd encouraging him to come up on the stage and dance in episode 2, yet the actual moment of him dancing for Beerus is completely gone, replaced instead with him... making takoyaki. Hardly "casting aside his pride", is it?

-When they ask Shenlong about the Super Saiyan God, in the movie he gives some lore about where the form came from and why it was forgotten, weaving in the explanation for how they can form one in said backstory. In the show it's just "Do this. k bye."

-Throughout the battle between Goku and Beerus in the movie, Goku makes it abundantly clear that he feels like getting his new form the way he did was cheating and it's incredibly frustrating to him that this was the only way he could fight Beerus. In the show, he spends the entire battle just being all "YAY EPIC FIGHT!"]

And for all of those omissions, what exactly did the show add? A change of location? Which incidentally also made the battle less interesting to watch because the constant location-changes from the movie were gone and basically the entire fight takes place in the atmosphere. I mean, I do actually enjoy the end of the fight (which is not on this set, go figure) but leading up to that it was just an absolute snore, especially compared to the fast-paced battle from the movie.

There are some who would say that the adaptation of Resurrection F was even worse, but from where I'm standing... at least that one didn't remove plot-points, so at the very least it reaches the baseline of covering the relevant details from the film. The Beerus-arc couldn't even do that.

The thing I really didn't like about Resurrection F was all the new stuff they did to Piccolo like spoiler[killing him] and then spoiler[bringing him back]. When that didn't even happen in the movie to begin with and could have been skipped.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Lord Starfish wrote:

The thing I really didn't like about Resurrection F was all the new stuff they did to Piccolo like spoiler[killing him] and then spoiler[bringing him back]. When that didn't even happen in the movie to begin with and could have been skipped.

I'll take pointless additions to the story over an adaptation that's three times as long as its source material and yet cuts half the story out of it any day. Yeah, that thing you mentioned didn't really add anything (though it could be argued that it was meant to raise the tension), but at the same time, it didn't really hurt the overall story either.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:

I'll take pointless additions to the story over an adaptation that's three times as long as its source material and yet cuts half the story out of it any day. Yeah, that thing you mentioned didn't really add anything (though it could be argued that it was meant to raise the tension), but at the same time, it didn't really hurt the overall story either.

Also fanservice bits like bringing Captain Ginyu back for some reason.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Also fanservice bits like being Captain Ginyu back for some reason.

I did like them bringing him back, and I thought it was interesting they spoiler[killed him off too]. They got his body-swap abilities wrong though: When Ginyu is in a body he's not used to, he's substantially weaker and needs time to get accustomed to it to use it anywhere close to its full potential. It was odd that, instead he became stronger spoiler[when he took over Tagoma].

And while the story point is kept the same, I much preferred the execution of introducing Frieza in the movie than in the TV show. In the movie, you see a bunch of fairies and living toys and such dancing, playing around, and making music around a tree. Then, a cocoon turns around and you see Frieza inside of it. In the TV show, they do it, regular Toei style, by intercutting the creatures playing with extreme closeups of Frieza instead, taking the air out of the joke when they finally show Frieza in the cocoon. (In the movie, it's pretty clear they're about to show Frieza, but they save the punchline for the end, the way you'd properly tell a joke, rather than teasing the punchline throughout.)
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
Also fanservice bits like being Captain Ginyu back for some reason.

I did like them bringing him back, and I thought it was interesting they spoiler[killed him off too]. They got his body-swap abilities wrong though: When Ginyu is in a body he's not used to, he's substantially weaker and needs time to get accustomed to it to use it anywhere close to its full potential. It was odd that, instead he became stronger spoiler[when he took over Tagoma].

And while the story point is kept the same, I much preferred the execution of introducing Frieza in the movie than in the TV show. In the movie, you see a bunch of fairies and living toys and such dancing, playing around, and making music around a tree. Then, a cocoon turns around and you see Frieza inside of it. In the TV show, they do it, regular Toei style, by intercutting the creatures playing with extreme closeups of Frieza instead, taking the air out of the joke when they finally show Frieza in the cocoon. (In the movie, it's pretty clear they're about to show Frieza, but they save the punchline for the end, the way you'd properly tell a joke, rather than teasing the punchline throughout.)

It's just like he happens to show up years later during this battle almost out of the blue and switch bodies and it feels rather implausible I guess for me. I don't know, could of done more with Tagoma instead. Minor nitpick though and it really isn't as bad as the whole thing they do to Piccolo in the TV version that is rather pointless.

And I must apologize I really botched my spelling on "bringing" on that original comment. I facepalmed myself when I saw I did that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2