• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Sister's All You Need (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote

(A) Sister's All You Need (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: ecchi, fanservice, harem, imouto, otaku

Plot Summary: Itsuki is a novelist and "modern day Pygmalion" who works day in and day out to create the ultimate younger sister. He's surrounded by various other characters: a beautiful genius writer who loves him, his big-sisterly classmate from college, a fellow male writer, a sadistic tax accountant, and his editor. They're all looked after by Itsuki's perfect younger step-brother, Chihiro, who has a serious secret.
----------------------------------

Light novel adaptation of the same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The first two minutes of this show is bizarre and, thankfully, not an indication of the rest of the show!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

The introduction was horrifying as an example of the little sister genre/theme of anime gone even more horribly wrong that one might fear. But it all seemed to be a lead up to our lead being berated for it simply being horrible. Putting that he does at least seem to be a little bit of a trashy writer, but not that bad as he would be stopped, but the reveal later there does actually seem to be some merit to his writing in how it seems to have changed Nayu.

Nayu might be the sticking point, because a fairly large part of the episode is showing her as a sex crazed crass girl, who is having problems with boundaries, with an unrealistic obsession on the perverted main lead who for some reason is not interested. But I am going to give credit to a bit more characterisation from what was seen in the first episode. Itsuki seemed kind of excited over her interest up until he read her book, which Theron in the Preview Guide theorised that he has some jealousy, but I will put forward that I think it might actually be selling Itsuki strangely short. I think that he might have understood the feelings that went into the book, and recognises that her interest in him comes from a place of vulnerability, and feels that for now it might be wrong to take advantage of those feelings. And that her personality now is her trying to appeal to him and does not want to reward it.

But this is based on little information, and the main character so far seems to be quite perverted, that saying that there is such depth may be very misplaced. But unlike how it started, I am interested to see how this goes coming forward.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Don't know if it has anything to do with my own accounting background, but I found the episode very funny.

Also, a character who is a gothic Lolita petite, 32 year old, aggressive (in various ways, yet not violently) and accountant. Is it too much to call her a goddess?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Especially on this site you always see people going on about how light novels are just cashing in on a trend and why can't they be original instead of doing another isekai story and blah blah. And for years I've been saying "Maybe that's just what the author wants to write about?" I hope after this episode more people at least stop to consider that an author might be writing what he wants, not just writing what sells.

... Oh who am I kidding. People who think like that would never watch this show in the first place :/
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this two episodes ago ... during the old women hot springs scene. It suddenly occurred to me that I didn't give a rat's ass about the MC and a lot of the humour just didn't do much for me. I don't think it is a bad show by any means, just one that doesn't inspire me to care or watch. I might have hung around if they had started to do something with his... brother... earlier, but my patience wore out before that could happen.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm still watching this. It's okish. The jokes aren't working for me either, but the natural-feeling relationship the characters have and the banter between them has some kind of odd charm. Mainly Nayuta's clinginess gets a bit annoying at times, the main dude's little sister craze can also get a bit annoying and Miayko is a wimpy pushover. I don't understand how Miayko has gone from that horrible first encounter with Itsuki to crushing on him. Did he save her from some thugs or something afterwards?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I changed my mind. Went back and powered through the old women in the hot springs scene in episode 5 and got caught up with episode 6. Eh, it happens.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
And I am actually enjoying it a good deal, as I have found myself on just the right wavelength of it and found that it has met my expectations. As I think that I said in the series discussion page, I think that the author actually has a good awareness of what he is writing about. He can have fun with the more base parts, that really there is not much of a problem with, in fact I think it can be worthwhile bringing them up, and then there is a little bit of depth that fills in the character.

It should be pretty obvious how hard it would it the character who has been talking himself up for so long because he was getting his story adapted into an anime, and then it fall apart in front of his eyes. That seeing the twitter feed was enough to illustrate what it was like. He even could only tell people to watch the next week rather than express how he really felt over how it went. Does bring to mind as someone who reacts to a lot of anime, the feelings involved, although I liked to think I often try to understand the parts underneath. Well maybe the anime project will manage to actually turn out good later one, I have seen that.

Oh, and I enjoyed the card game they did, reminds me of similar adult games like Cards Against Humanity and Super Fight. I do think Itsuki is warming up to Nayuta, maybe with her growing a little from less dependant, or him some more confidence.

Also, Chihiro wears surprisingly feminine underwear, right? Wink It does seem to be at some point we will learn something this "brother".
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
Ugh though. I know watching anime desensitizes you to certain actions and Japan may be perpetually a decade behind on certain sensibilities but god damn- straight up sexual assault is not funny.
It was done to further the story?
How does this go forward? "Oh no, sensei, your brother is really a girl, I know because when I tackled Chihiro from behind and pulled down 'his' pants I had to also attempt to pull down some feminine girl panties to see 'her' bare ass. She resisted for some reason. hyuk hyuk Anime catgrin + sweatdrop "
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
I hear ya, Spastic Minnow. I bumped on the same thing. Unfortunately, as you say, anime is in a time warp when it comes to these things relative to Western sensibilities. I guess the good news is that 20 years from now there should be less of this?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I really don't know if I only notice this stuff now, or that tabletop has really been making a splash in popularity, I know that it was only in the last couple years that I have got into it. Which goes onto this episode being the characters playing a tabletop, a fantasy one which I am a little familiar with. Having been GM (DM) myself for a bit, I would say I totally get the smirk that Haruto got at all of them failing a dice roll and thus were ignorant to a threat. Along with the sort of free form of being able to read the letter to stop from falling into a trap, after Itsuki already broke down the writing style and thus predicted the twist.

Sure Nayu was pretty inappropriate, but despite the supposed age of her character it was not really too bad the stuff her character got up to, instead just the general idea of it being a bit wrong to act that way to another player, which the show did put a disclaimer about. I guess it in the end just feeling more that they were comfortable enough just to muck around like that. Also, totally the guards arresting players for inappropriate acts, did it to my players too when they totally failed to be subtle in an evil game.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Ooh, now it is turning into a more measured romantic comedy, not entirely because of reasons of a love triangle. But I do like the how these relationships are going, even just the friendship between the same sex characters. Itsuki and Nayu just date already, they clearly have really good chemistry with each other, that I actually feel a little afraid the show will try and put him with Miyako as more underdog, and Itsuki keeps turning down Nayu.

Comparing this to the author's previous work, Haganai's amusement park episode comes to mind, I can say them both being ones I enjoyed in showing parts of the characters. Especially nice I think in showing that both Itsuki and Nayu ended up really enjoying the more intense ride, bringing to mind of spoiler[Maria] from Haganai. Which kind of wondering if it is some strange coincidence, it might have even been the theme park episode where spoiler[Maria was eating curry and got stopped by Yozora from about to compare it too poop], which kind of done earlier in this episode.

But back to kind of my earlier point, I am somewhat thinking it will necesarilly run into the trope of changing the pairing, after how I think the author handled Haganai with couple chemistry, rather than what might just look sweet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

With mind to the first episode's over the top perversion, it again felt like it tried to see how much it could push the envelope in terms of perversion yet one foot on the ground in acknowledging it as way too far. But also in terms of maybe how much it could censor, one scene in particular using very blatant repeats of images and animation, that it is leaving me pondering about possible, production issues, what might be included in home release which they could not show here (yet prominent I would say purposeful censor images).

It is the sort of thing I think can turn people off, but I really don't think is doing so just to be gross and appeal to base feelings. It really was just as much commenting on the ideas of otaku fascination with nudity vs underwear, along with some hypocrisy, and maybe need of some awareness.

I think one of the real show stopper of the episode was the reveal that the manga artist's spoiler[bow was actually a pair of panties]. We even got a diagram for it. Laughing In ways it kind of brings to mind Shimoneta.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
The last episode highlighted once again one of the things that bugs me about the show: running a gag into the ground. The first segment was okay in this regard in that at least they found ways to keep the "underwear-nude" back and forth somewhat dynamic. And the image of Mikuniyama with a pair of panties over her face is - let's face it - comedy gold. But the segment with Nayu molesting her seemed to go on forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2