• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Sister's All You Need (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
I agree with Blood- that the boob grabbing scene went on for too long.

One thing that bugged me (again) was the lack of spine on Miayko. She's supposed to be the more "normal" girl of the group. So when told to take her clothes off she is obviously against it, but when clothes need to come off for the sake of fanservice they come off. Miayko objects to going nude for like exactly 1 second before giving in (again). It's so stupid and it goes against her personality, but the audience needs to see her nude so who cares about consistency.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
Kaiko turned this show in to Shimoneta the moment she put on the panties. Consistency was long gone by the time they were in that hotel room
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
One thing that bugged me (again) was the lack of spine on Miayko. She's supposed to be the more "normal" girl of the group. So when told to take her clothes off she is obviously against it, but when clothes need to come off for the sake of fanservice they come off. Miayko objects to going nude for like exactly 1 second before giving in (again). It's so stupid and it goes against her personality, but the audience needs to see her nude so who cares about consistency.

I would not say it is against her personality. It was apparently 2 minutes, and one of the key parts of her personality has been a feeling of directionless, and easily drawn into the strong passion of those who have a direction. Her being between two of such people, it really is not too out of character of a couple minutes of badgering she might actually give in against her better judgement.

Yeah, the boob thing went on too long, but the whole thing kind of feels like it was meant to. Not a hell lot was actually shown, but in an episode that was kind of going on a tangent about the exposure in the mediums of nudity, either bare or in underwear, it kind of avoided both while still giving a sense of exploitation. Although how much does that even apply considering the two main parties?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Well the episode finally confirmed it for the audience, Chihiro is in fact a girl, and according to her a relatively normal one who just puts on the cover for her step-brother and his friends. As a plot point, it has me thinking about what the show might be trying to say, that through all of the fetishizing of imoutos and the like, a relationship Itsuki would have with actual one does not necessarily have to be any different from one he had with a brother. His built up all these ideas, but he is really having a relationship with a younger (step)sister, and it really is not that bad, and there does seem to be a give and take here, that she wants to help him, but I think he is emotionally also helping her in a way he might not get. He I think accepts her for who she is, even if he thinks that she is actually a boy.

Weird ideas of what it is like with siblings, just kind of miss what it actually is like, those blushes are not really crushing, some embarrassment sure, but they are family. I say this as someone who goes through quite a lot of imouto anime, yet I have a relationship with my own little sister that the fetishes of otaku culture don't ever come to mind. Hey, I like some little sister anime stuff, but with my own sister I do a mix of picking on each other, and just being good friends like exchanging opinions on things. It was a good scene where Itsuki commented with using Chihiro as an idea for a character who sees everything as food, there is no weird underlying thread there.

I was especially fond of how this episode had an extra bit of Itsuki apparently writing his set up of the gross little sister part at the start of the series, and replaced it with some horrifying human eating monster. I take it as actually kind of admission that the one from the start of the series really is not too different from the one here, a horrifying monster, purposely written that way, and not really an idyllic fantasy that some could confuse it as.

And yeah, we had Itsuki going out with Nayu again. Great. Itsuki's comment of kind of liking that there is a girl he can talk about dirty things with, it kind of showed that despite everything you might think, he can have a totally comfortable relationship with a girl.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:36 am Reply with quote
I'm watching the dub so I'm behind in the conversation, but that's not really important. The dub is up to episode 7 "Adventure Is All You Need". Being a fan of Critical Role (anime voice actors playing D&D) I couldn't help but notice that the main villain at the end of the episode sounds a lot like dungeon master extrordinaire Matthew Mercer (who does some roles for Funimation). Anyone know for sure? Listen at 19:24 if you have access.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

I like the weird game sessions. They're just fun. They really somehow show the chemistry between the characters and they can be kinda funny too.

Nayuta and Itsuki should just hook up. Then Miayko would be forced to bury her feelings and I wouldn't have to (un)reasonably hate her so much for being the forced nice girl secondary love interest. I like the relationship between Miayko and Nayu, and Nayu and Itsuki are so made for each other that Miayko crushing on Itsuki is completely unnecessary. Why can't she just be four eyes' love interest instead? I mean I guess she sort of is, but it should be without this love triangle (or rectangle?) stuff.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Aww, how cute, Nayu overheard Itsuki finally come out and admit that he likes her. Although he should be saying it to her directly rather than leave it unsaid. And I kind of think she should confront him and say that he doesn't need any silly steps like try and "make it" to be worthy of her. They have such good chemistry, and it is not like they would have to rush into marriage. Although, I kind of wonder if that fits into his issues he had from losing his mother, he doesn't want to do things by a half measure.

How this show does adults playing games is a rare version in anime, and one I have had a bit of an experience with. Reminds me of a game I played of superfight where someone got an OP combination of a 20 foot tall Japanese high school girl with a katana, that lost to a very specific opponent of a tentacle monster.

Also, I think Miyako might have got a little bit of idea of a direction she could go in from meeting the pblishers, which makes me think a bit of as an example of something similar from another anime, but Aoi from Shirobako, being able to deal with "the talent", help organize things to completion. At least that was the impression I was kind of getting. And fits into her skills in dealing with people others might have trouble with, and that they can deal with her.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Hmph. Miayko wanting to become an editor is an interesting development for her and I wish that happened earlier in the show. It would have made Miayko a much more interesting character and given her a more prominent role in the group. That Haruto's novel's fan at the end denying the existance of the anime was kinda funny.

Overall it was a decently good show, made from some slightly bad parts and some good parts. The show sometimes delved quite deeply into its characters and the chemistry between the main cast was very good. I think the show's attempts at fanservicey humour mostly fell flat. Nayu's and Miayko's crush on Itsuki wasn't done well in my opinion. Neither had a good enough reason to fall for that dude and it just felt like very blatant light novel style wish-fulfillment. Is Itsuki the only man they've ever properly interacted with?

I feel like I'm being a bit generous by giving this a good rating so I might change it after a while but if this show gets a second season I'll definitely watch it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I know people had some trouble with this show, but in my case, I was actually a pretty big of it. I do agree that the fanservice humour thing mostly fell flat, but I think it was in between that, which really worked. A major part of the story was that these sort of light novel stories and anime can be juvenile, the unabashed nudity and kinks don't necessarily offer much to have real depth. But it is in spite of those things, that I think that these stories really can tell stories about insecurities, and boost the moral of the audience in having them maybe feel like they are a cool protagonist and have some good things happen. Good things of course where there are also bad, that some things fail, that some instant success won't make you fully happy, and there is work that needs.

This show started with a horrifying, going way too far ecchi exploits, but rather than trying to use it to reel in audience because little sisters are awesome, it is my perception that it was always to show that it can get worse. Saying that this and some other things showed no self restraint, is plain wrong, and there is plenty that I think the author is putting in beyond pantsu. How was that not any more obvious than when this last episode showed Itsuki working his way to writing his first story, with all his insecurities. And off of that, it is kind of what I think was exactly what got captured Nayu, it was him trying to show who he feels like on the inside, that it could inspire people who also worried about their own insecurities, even if it is a reverse harem and or little sister story. How many people have before felt a little inspired by reading or watching such a project? And in turn I get the author really putting himself into this.

Miyako deciding to be an editor is not a surprise last minute of the episode thing, I was saying how at least last episode finally put all the pieces together that she could finally have some direction after worrying about it for quite a long time. There is a list of things I would really like to see come up in a sequel, and I really don't want it to be a case of needing to read the lightnovels, because I am an anime viewer. Chihiro needs to tell her brother, Haruto the real confidence from what he writes, and Itsuki needs to face Nayu honestly about his feelings, regardless of goal posts.

I give a rating of Very good (8/10). There were some problem areas that knock it down from parts I think were really well done, like the butt grabbing scene, and the molestation scene, but I really liked it and would like to see how it continued. I am actually a little disappointed by a banner I am seeing right now for the series, because it mostly looks like fanservice stuff, which I guess is to sell it, but that almost seems like a betrayal of its other bits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2