• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Silent Voice English Dub Clip Features Lexi Cowden as Shoko

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Vibrant Wolf wrote:
sounds like they did a good job, outside of Shoko being hard to listen to. then again, the only deaf people I've heard speak were actors who've had years of practice.

Aside from what Shoya stated, she said, "But she already has some bread! I bet she only wants some more so she can eat it! You don't have to buy her any, I can't believe she made you do that for her!" and "Is my voice weird?".
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 am Reply with quote
Wow that was surprisingly easy to understand, I understood everything she said. I feel like the Japanese version of Shoko was a lot less fluent. This voice actress must have had a lot of practice.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
This is beautiful, well done to them for choosing a Deaf actress. Smile

My mum once told me about a girl at her school back in the 1960s who was Deaf and non-verbal - and not because she couldn't speak, but because she had been made fun of for her speech as a child and was too nervous to try and speak to anybody who wasn't a family member. People can be so cruel. Sad
Ochinchinsama69

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
She sounds old and not cute, I'll rewatch the japanese version instead
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the Japanese version yet so I looked up some clips on Youtube to compare.

I feel like there's no good way to say this without being insensitive, so I apologize if this sounds offensive - but is Hayami's performance supposed to be authentic? Cowden's performance sounds much closer to the deaf people I've met. Hayami sounds more like someone with a developmental or motor disorder.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I haven't seen the Japanese version yet so I looked up some clips on Youtube to compare.

I feel like there's no good way to say this without being insensitive, so I apologize if this sounds offensive - but is Hayami's performance supposed to be authentic? Cowden's performance sounds much closer to the deaf people I've met. Hayami sounds more like someone with a developmental or motor disorder.

My grandmother spoke a lot like Hayami's performance. It could be hard to tell what she was saying sometimes. But most deaf people I've met were more fluent and a bit closer to Cowden's.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

It all really depends on who you have met who is deaf. All deaf people speak differently. Sone speak perfect and you wont even know they are deaf while others sound like the Japanese voice actress where you can hardly understand them at all. It all depends on how much speech therapy they have and how muchy they could hear before they were completely deaf or born completely deaf. Shoko wears hearing aids so she is not entirely completely deaf. She could probably hear a little tiny bit but not enough to get around without signing. She probably can only hear noises not words. That is also common for deaf people who have hearing aids.

Me myself I am hard of hearing. I cant hear whistling. Its too high pitch for me. Higher pitch voices make it very hard for me to understand. Lower pitches I can understand better. My friend is the opposite. It just all depends on the hearing difficulty, time spent learning english and surroundings really...
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
"VERY GOOD..."
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Wow that was surprisingly easy to understand, I understood everything she said. I feel like the Japanese version of Shoko was a lot less fluent. This voice actress must have had a lot of practice.

Practice speaking like that? If so, no she is herself deaf. She is also easier to understand because she is speaking English, my first language, probably yours, or at least one you understand so yeah it will be easier to understand.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Australia also has a release coming in December.

UK release for comparison
Nilrem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Going by that clip the performance sounds good, when I was in high school I was in the "special needs" section during breaks/before/after school due to medical issues, and Lexi's performance sounds quite like one of the girls who had hearing problems (we both did typing with the same tutor).

I can't wait for the release of this, as it's a film I've been looking forward to seeing.

SnowWarren, the alltheanime store are also doing a bundle with the LE and some extra posters (it was actually a fiver cheaper than the LE alone last week).
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Nilrem wrote:
SnowWarren, the alltheanime store are also doing a bundle with the LE and some extra posters (it was actually a fiver cheaper than the LE alone last week).

I live in Australia and AlltheAnime charge 25 pounds for shipping to Australia which is a bit steep for me. I ordered from Anime-online instead. I don't need the posters.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah I didn't realise you were in Aus, that's fairly insane for shipping fees.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Vibrant Wolf wrote:
sounds like they did a good job, outside of Shoko being hard to listen to. then again, the only deaf people I've heard speak were actors who've had years of practice.

Aside from what Shoya stated, she said, "But she already has some bread! I bet she only wants some more so she can eat it! You don't have to buy her any, I can't believe she made you do that for her!" and "Is my voice weird?".

the only part I really had trouble with was "I can't believe she made you do that". thanks anyway.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Vibrant Wolf wrote:

I mean........ Shoko is not and has never been a fluid speaker so idk why you’re criticizing that. But I guess it’s different listening to her vs. reading the manga so I’ll give you that. But now I know this is definitely a gateway movie given your response to her.

I feel the actress captured her nicely.

I didn't mean to criticise. like I said, I'm not used to hearing deaf people speak in real life. only deaf actors who're 30-40 years old, and are used to using spoken language. In retrospect, I guess I could have worded it better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3