• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inuyashiki Last Hero (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

One of the really frustrating facts about Inuyashiki being released during this season, is that with the level of CGI it was managing to pull here with actions scenes, we have had Land of the Lustrous which makes this look absolutely horrible in comparison. I pretty much felt like face palming for how I was feeling about this I think supposed to be, and I have been utterly spoiled over especially in a recent episode that was pretty amazing.

Another piece of frustration of the feeling of our hero taking his dang time to act, how he had been pretty passive in waiting for the acts the villain to cause devastation. That we had him stuck in what was a pretty sad fight of the villain throwing a fit by being the villain while an old guy gets to be hero, while our hero's daughter's life is in danger. With the slight I think making up that afterwards Inuyashiki seemed to finally take responsibility and devoted himself to openly helping as many people as he could in the immediate aftermath. Him hiding his identity and minimizing his existence came second to actually being a hero. Although, I had been thinking for a while he maybe could have worked on some sort of disguise or costume to have it both ways.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Another piece of frustration of the feeling of our hero taking his dang time to act, how he had been pretty passive in waiting for the acts the villain to cause devastation.

I wondered about that at first too, but Hiro had much better control over his abilities than Ichiro did and Ando knew this. So they held off on directly fighting Hiro until Ichiro could get on his level.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 (finale)

That is crazy, they managed to get this anime Donald Trump really sound like the real life Donald Trump, managing to bring up that he became president. Anyway, it ended, and I think it was pretty cute, leading up to Inuyashiki seeing that there was no other choice than he sacrifice himself too, that actually got pretty emotional. At least we got a kind of happy bit with his daughter.

Anyway, this started kind of cool, but it kind of feels like I can't make heads of what it wanted out of itself. A lot of focus on crazy psychopathic Hiro, that it did tip a bit into simply shocking slaughter for its own sake. I think we were meant to feel something for him, but can't even actually make conclusions on how he felt when seeing children of people he has killed calling for him to be killed, since we have seen him fail to have such sympathy for anyone outside of his immediate group. I wonder if maybe it was wanting to say something where Inuyashiki's son wanted power too, and how power for its own sake just makes something like Hiro, especially compared to how his wife and daughter felt for him.

It is a weird disconnect that Inuyashiki is clearly the hero, but the show itself kind of points to him generally failing to act and push himself to see what he can actually accomplished, ending up copying what Hiro manages to figure out himself. Perhaps it wanted to show that all people can contribute something, but even that feels like it is trying to have its cake and eat it too. I don't think animation or style managed to live up to what it sort of set itself out to maybe be. It just sort of started to run out of steam.

Anyway, it was not necessarily bad, I think it just kind of bluffed with what it had, and did not really wow like I kind of hoped it might. I give a rating of Decent (6/10) I did not lose my time with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3